New to Cars in General, have a 95 Eldorado, plethora of problems - Page 8
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
Like Tree42Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, New to Cars in General, have a 95 Eldorado, plethora of problems in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by rkeating09 Update(s)! I have been doing a couple runs after purge line cleaning! The coolant temp stays ...
    basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 02 DHS, 03 SLS

Re: New to Cars in General, have a 95 Eldorado, plethora of problems, help?! D:

Quote Originally Posted by rkeating09 View Post
    Update(s)!

I have been doing a couple runs after purge line cleaning!

The coolant temp stays roughly optimal with only water during hoooooot days.

I am letting it cool now to take out the air filter box, open cap, pull off lower radiator hose, drain it out, flush it out. I got a nice sized jug of Peak Long Life Antifreeze and I forgot to get my hands on some distilled water, I will prob end up doing that.

----

The reason for the drive today is I wanted to get my battery tested at Autozone, the guys there are completely helpful, just not knowledgeable about what kind of that GM life meter oil I should be using, so I held back on getting new oil for now, I checked my oil and it looks fine, and also it was at a good level. I do notice a couple drippings of oil on the bottom, but that was when I put it on ramps for the first time.

It turns out I was using a 525 amp battery, turns out the car needs at least a 790, I got an 800. Replaced that and bam, car starts like a dream! On top of that and not overheating (I drove it how I generally did before I knew it overheated, and it never did. The distances I was going I would have overheated 1-3 times prior to cleaning the purge line). I feel like it turns into straight maintenance from here on out.

However, there is the 'battery tray' issue. I asked what this wire was called that was pointed out to me (going to the battery tray) as having corrosion on the wires. He said I just need to order a new piece and its easy to throw in and replace. So that's good news.

I just again watn to thank everyone who has helepd out. Turns out there weren't MAAAAANY issues to be had! :O
    So far. Ha.

----------

You are my new hero. Thank you.
    ------------------------------
    I got a nice sized jug of Peak Long Life Antifreeze
    to get a 50/50 mix in your car -
    you need 1 1/2 gallons of straight antifreeze -

most jugs of antifreeze are 1 gallon -

you will need another gallon jug -
    ----------------------------

I wanted to get my battery tested at Autozone -
    I got an 800
    your correct battery size - or number - is a "group 78" -

PLEASE tell me you didn't buy an autozone battery -

NEVER BUY ANYTHING WITH THE AUTOZONE NAME ON IT -

the guys there are completely helpful,
    just not knowledgeable about
    what kind of that GM life meter oil I should be using,

GM life meter oil -
    OK - I give up - WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?

if you are talking engine oil - for doing an oil change -
    you need 8 quarts of 10W30 oil -
    you will only put in 7 1/2 quarts -
    I prefer Valvoline - regular - not synthetic -

and a WIX 51522 oil filter - or PF46 ACDelco oil filter -

DO NOT USE FRAM -
    OR THE EXPENSIVE DESIGNER OIL FILTERS -
    like mobil-1 - or K&N - just wasting money -

Walmart is a great place to get oil and filters -
    they usually have the 5 quart jugs on sale -

for air filters - just get the regular pleated paper type -
    the K&N or other expensive designer filters are a waste of money -

rkeating09 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 95 Eldorado

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    You can't tell anything by looking at the oil. Change it when the OLM tells you to. Use 10W30. Brand or type is irrelevant. Whatever tickles your fancy and don't even ask. There is no "best oil".
    Thank you for clearing that up, Ranger.

One last quick question. I know this is probably common sense, but:

On the bottom radiator hose, you said disconnect it at the lowest point on the radiator (big metal screeny thing, yea?) Cool. There are a couple pipes that makes getting to that screw on the worm clamp a bit tricky. Am I able to disconnect it from the part that's not on the radiator? It looks a bit gunky on the connector so I wanted to clean it up a bit anyway.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by basscatt View Post
    ------------------------------
    I got a nice sized jug of Peak Long Life Antifreeze
    to get a 50/50 mix in your car -
    you need 1 1/2 gallons of straight antifreeze -

most jugs of antifreeze are 1 gallon -

you will need another gallon jug -
    ----------------------------

I wanted to get my battery tested at Autozone -
    I got an 800
    your correct battery size - or number - is a "group 78" -

PLEASE tell me you didn't buy an autozone battery -

NEVER BUY ANYTHING WITH THE AUTOZONE NAME ON IT -

the guys there are completely helpful,
    just not knowledgeable about
    what kind of that GM life meter oil I should be using,

GM life meter oil -
    OK - I give up - WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?

if you are talking engine oil - for doing an oil change -
    you need 8 quarts of 10W30 oil -
    you will only put in 7 1/2 quarts -
    I prefer Valvoline - regular - not synthetic -

and a WIX 51522 oil filter - or PF46 ACDelco oil filter -

DO NOT USE FRAM -
    OR THE EXPENSIVE DESIGNER OIL FILTERS -
    like mobil-1 - or K&N - just wasting money -

Walmart is a great place to get oil and filters -
    they usually have the 5 quart jugs on sale -

for air filters - just get the regular pleated paper type -
    the K&N or other expensive designer filters are a waste of money -
    Thank you, good sir. I guess I will go head out and get these things.

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    That is your ac condensor, that's sandwiched up to the radiator

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

DO NOT disconnect any pipes. Metal pipes may be A/C or trans lines. Drain the radiator via the drain plug or the lower radiator hose if you must.

Hahah I was definitely not going to disconnect any pipes.

Also, the battery I got was a Duralast Gold 5 Year Warranty $150, 800 Cold Crank Amps (1000) something or another afterthat, I believe.
    I notice 'value' options like their 'true value' battery, and sway far, far away. We looked up the batteries for the car and its what one guy showed me earlier, decided to get it. I can't say that its a bad battery, can anyone tell me why I shouldn't get batteries from autozone? Or do you mean in general autozone brand products themselves.

In general. We don't call AutoZone parts Don'tLast for nothing. Only buy dumb parts there, like fluids, filters, wiper blades, lamps, wax etc. No mechanical or electrical parts.

Well then. That sucks.

On top of that. I was following the instructions posted by Basscat / everyone else.

I got 2 gallons of antifreeze, I pulled the hoze, lots of hot coolant residue / water came out, I gassed it up to try to purge as much out as I can, I put 3/4 of the first gallon in , now its all anti freeze and full to the top. I ran water through the surge tank until it came out of the radiator hose clear. Put it back on, and then, watdaeff.

Should I just drain it again and see if straight green coolant comes out?
    When I squeeze the radiator hoses, I see raising of coolant out of the surge tank

You do not fill the surge tank to the top. What do you think is going to happen when the coolant heats up and expands? 1/2 full is the correct level. Never more than 2/3.

I ran water through the surge tank until it came out of the radiator hose clear. Put it back on, and then, watdaeff.
    I hope you did this BEFORE you filled it with coolant.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    You do not fill the surge tank to the top. What do you think is going to happen when the coolant heats up and expands? 1/2 full is the correct level. Never more than 2/3.I hope you did this BEFORE you filled it with coolant.
    1) Okay, I didn't mean to fill it to the top, I was told to put one and a half gallons in through there, I drained the tank, pumped it out, rinsed it out, was in process of putting in 1 Gallon, and before I reached the bottom It went to the top, I tried checking if when I gassed, it sucked down, it didn't.

2) Yes. And now I drained it again, and ran some water through it again.
    I am thinking of just premixing the mixture in an old milk gallon and then funneling it in now that I can rinsed again. I might dilute the mixture with more water than coolant.

Edit: Added in my premix after draining the system, kept an eye and didn't go past halfway in the surge tank. Started it up on the ramps and the temp just started sky rocketing. I turned it off for a minute to look at what was going on, then I took it to the floor and tried to rev it up to 3KRPM a couple times, got out of the car and started hearing massive bubbling and the surge tank started spitting up coolant / smoking.

Wat.

Edit:

This seems like a small fix if I can figure it out. The car wasn't smoking or looking like its about to explode prior to adding in coolant, I drained out the coolant, tried to follow basscat's instruction, it overflowed, I drained it again. Afterwards, I started adding some, got to about the halfway point, started up the car on the gruond, and it starting bubbling quite badly and smoking.

Alright. I am the worlds dumbest person. You don't fill it through the effin Surge Tank. I have to find the radiator cap. Le sigh. Assuming that my surge tank is at appropriate level, I will just find the radiator cap and fill... this up.. <.<

Okay, I googled radiator cap... its the same damn thing that I filled through... initially...

Terms I think I am getting greatly confused by:

Radiator
    Surge Tank
    Overfill Reservoir
    Radiator Cap

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    You DO fill it through the surge tank. Your car has no radiator cap.

The radiator is the large, finned aluminum part behind the condenser, behind the grill, that the coolant flows through to cool.

The surge tank is the under hood tank with coolant on it.

You have a surge tank cap, no radiator cap.

The overflow HOSE is near the surge tank cap. If there's excess coolant in the system, or the engine overheats, coolant will be forced out of it.

Okay, thank you. Good to know. I appreciate it.

But if I filled it up through the surge tank:

1) Why does it seem to fill up quicker than it actually goes through the system allowing me to put as much as needed in the car?

2) Why did it start bubbling massively (spitting up) and smoking? Which I guess 'smoke' is commonly mistook for 'dirty steam'.
    3) What do I do now? Just run the car with the cap closed until it cycles through and hope my gaskets don't explode?

Not sure I understand your first question. If the engine reached normal operating temp with the cap off, the coolant would boil, bubble and steam, because it is not under pressure, and the boiling point is lowered.

Fill the system when the engine is completely cool, put the cap on, and start the engine. The system is self purging.

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    Not sure I understand your first question. If the engine reached normal operating temp with the cap off, the coolant would boil, bubble and steam, because it is not under pressure, and the boiling point is lowered.

Fill the system when the engine is completely cool, put the cap on, and start the engine. The system is self purging.
    Thank you, on top of that, if I see a serious rise (quickly and going over 220 within 1-3 mintues) in coolant temp as the car starts, should I be concerned or let it self purge?

Edit: With further thought that statement makes sense and answers my question.
    I did try to add it when the engine was at operating temperature with the cap off. I guess that was steam and by morning time I can just fire it up and let it work through.

220 is nothing to be concerned with, the fans don't even go to low speed until 224 (and high at 236).

Running the engine at ~3,000 RPM for a minute or so might help purge the system quicker.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.