New to Cars in General, have a 95 Eldorado, plethora of problems - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
Like Tree42Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, New to Cars in General, have a 95 Eldorado, plethora of problems in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by Ranger Before you remove anything see if you can get at the drain plug. Like I said, ...
    rkeating09 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 95 Eldorado

Re: New to Cars in General, have a 95 Eldorado, plethora of problems, help?! D:

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Before you remove anything see if you can get at the drain plug. Like I said, you may not have to remove anything.
    Pretty sure I have to remove it, its directly covering the radiator. When I look off to the side I can see a noticeable drain tube, right next to it is another larger hole and I can see a tube with a bolt on it but I can't see a petcock.

Pretty sure, actually, through the secondary larger hole, I can see a petcock, I rubbed my finger along it and it seemed to have a butterfly type shape, so I am assuming that is the drain hole and the petcock. I just have to figure out how I am going to pull it.

Edit: I was also told that if I wanted to I could take the radiator hose off and let it drain through that.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

The drain tube is UNDER the radiator. The plug is on the back side. See post #60 again.

zek4964 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 cts 68k, 07 STS-V 15K, 97 Sts 160k

On my 97 STS I had to remove the bolts holding the radiator fans in place. Then with the fans loose I moved them out of the way so i could get to the peecock valve.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

That is waaay too much work. I'm sure there was an easier way.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Quote Originally Posted by basscatt View Post
    what is the most secure method of storing data - and why -

I'm talking a physical device - not encryption -
    I'll bite

for protection (security) against corruption & media failure: RAID (preferably RAID6)
    for protection against natural disasters, fires, terrorists, etc: an offsite backup (tape media lasts longest in storage but a synchronized co-located redundant system works best when uptime is critical)
    there's other ways to secure/hide data such as steganography or other forms of security through obscurity

but I assume your answer was something I haven't thought of

edit: i left out the 'and why' on accident but now that i think about it it's a bit self-explanatory to me and i'm not really into explaining the benefits of raid, colocation, and steganography right now
    plus this is getting waaaaaay OT ... my apologies to the OP
    vincentm likes this.
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    The drain tube is UNDER the radiator. The plug is on the back side. See post #60 again.
    Yea, judging by the diagram I can see what I believe I felt, the #8 object. It's just a little cluttered, and the tube I am refering to is the tube that curves around the radiator right above #8. Which is how I found it through the small, yet bigger than the drain hole, hole.

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

Quote Originally Posted by basscatt View Post

what is the most secure method of storing data - and why -

Use Linux. Why?

Because Windows sucks..

/end troll
    /thread hijack

SO what tool makes it easiest to grab the petcock? It's seeming like its in that hole, right below that hose with a bolt, which doesnt make sense now according to that diagram. :| But I just feel like its it, its right by a drain hole on the bottom of the car. If I stick my finger in there I can feel it, I tried to go above the metal plate that would make it easier to get to if it was gone, and I can't get a grip on there, I guess if I try to go behind with pliers or something..

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    Id try some needle nose pliers if you dont have skinny long fingers like i do. And once drained screw it back in finger tight, one good twist. That way come next drain and refill it will be a bit easier.

Thank you, good sir.

----------

So I can get 4 fingers in there and on it, but I can't turn it between my index and middle finger, I tried getting the pliers on it, but..... I could not get a grasp on it and if I got it at the right angle it wont open / turn. I guess I have to take off the splash shield, although I don't think that will work because the area I am working in is not affected by the shield.

wlewis is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 Eldorado
    Safest place to store data and why?

Your brain. You're the only one with the password.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

i don't trust myself to secure the password
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    I'll bite

for protection (security) against corruption & media failure: RAID (preferably RAID6)
    for protection against natural disasters, fires, terrorists, etc: an offsite backup (tape media lasts longest in storage but a synchronized co-located redundant system works best when uptime is critical)
    there's other ways to secure/hide data such as steganography or other forms of security through obscurity

but I assume your answer was something I haven't thought of

edit: i left out the 'and why' on accident but now that i think about it it's a bit self-explanatory to me and i'm not really into explaining the benefits of raid, colocation, and steganography right now
    plus this is getting waaaaaay OT ... my apologies to the OP
    -----------------------
    the computer question was to "test" someone's knowledge about hardware -
    specifically methods of storing data -

maybe I worded it wrong -

let's say - a relatively small file of 50MB -
    and it needed to be put onto some storage media -
    without any type of encryption -
    but if someone were to hack into and read it -
    results would be devastating -

we are not talking about locking a hard drive or flash drive in a vault -

this storage media could be sitting on the desk -
    but without it's reader/writer - it's impossible to hack -

wlewis is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 Eldorado
    How about MT?

rodnok01 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
    Quote Originally Posted by vincentm View Post

Use Linux. Why?

Because Windows sucks..

/end troll
    /thread hijack
    Unix not Linux... Linux is neutered...
    And yes windows does suck, esp for securing anything.
    I've been doing computer work and auto repair since @12.
    You're right about process of elimination, to many people willy nilly try & fix problems and end up chasing their tails.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.