New to Cars in General, have a 95 Eldorado, plethora of problems - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
Like Tree42Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, New to Cars in General, have a 95 Eldorado, plethora of problems in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by Ranger The petcock aka drain plug (#8) is on the lower left of the radiator (as viewed ...
    basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Re: New to Cars in General, have a 95 Eldorado, plethora of problems, help?! D:

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    The petcock aka drain plug (#8) is on the lower left of the radiator (as viewed from the drivers seat).

Coolant change 101:
    Remove the lower air deflector by pulling the center pin in the dozen or so push pin rivets and then remove the rivet.
    After you drain the system, push the plug back in and turn it to close it (I am not positive, but I don't think you remove it. Once it flows coolant, leave it be. Don't want to break it). Refill the system with 50/50 Dex-Cool and distilled water (it's much easier if you premix it). Start the engine and top it off as the W/P will suck the tank down. Once it stabilizes, run the RPM up to about 3K for a minute or so to purge most of the air out of the system. Reinstall the lower air deflector. Then recheck your coolant level after the engine cools down after the next 2 or 3 drives and top off as necessary. DO NOT add any cooling system supplements aka sealant tabs.

----------

That's how most of us learned. The school of hard knocks where the test comes before the lesson so pay attention to what we tell you.

----------

Wait till we get to brake job 101.
    -------------------------------
    Wait till we get to brake job 101. -

rodnok01 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
    We'll get Luke to help with brakes 101...
    basscatt likes this.

rkeating09 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 95 Eldorado

Thank you so much, Ranger and Basscat as well.

You guys are an incredible help. I will be sure to find that petcock tomorrow. Gettin' a bit late outside and there are family matters to attend to.

Is it bad to leave a car on ramps all night?

Thanks again, guys.

Also: Definitely gonna need to do my breaks soon, but I saw a good guide on that as well. ;P Or, at least I think I did.

Forgot to mention post purge line cleaning results:

Put the hose back on, started up the car to watch the "Coolant Level Temperature", which was what I told you was my engine temperature in above posts. I am not sure if coolant level temp is your engine temp, but if not I am sure I will be much happier.

With that being said: (How in the wild west do I find the engine temperature?)

I am now assuming Coolant level temp and operating temp are synonymous. I've read alot about what temp to look out for when it comes to that. If the coolant level gets too hot that means the engine is overheating, correct? At 280 you go into 'camel mode', which was happening often, but after roaring it 3K RPM for a bit it didn't do so bad, steadied at 217. Gonna flush it and replace the coolant.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

No, coolant level and engine temperature are not the same thing. I think you should have an engine temperature gauge on the instrument panel.

The engine goes into camel mode at about 260.

You can leave the car on ramps for as long as you want.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger
    So leaving it for another 100 or so posts will be fine.

rkeating, it's good to see someone willing to learn from scratch.

Just to clarify, coolant level is how much coolant in the system. Coolant temp is, well, coolant temp.

mike5514 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 97sls,06dts

I left a 85 celebrity on ramps for a number of days and the torque convertor clutch stuck on. mike

The clutch is hydraulic, and doesn't engage until you're at a steady cruising speed. Had nothing to do with being on ramps.

No, coolant level and engine temperature are not the same thing. I think you should have an engine temperature gauge on the instrument panel.

The engine goes into camel mode at about 260.

1) That's good, then I think I was running at very normal coolant temps during the drive earlier, but the engine was definitely getting hot, especially by the time I got home. I notice on the temp gauges it says "76 Outside" "66" below it. I am assuming neither of those are the right ones, but I will scan through the instrument panel for sure to try and find it.

2) 260 Engine or Coolant temp?

3) Thank you for the clarification, throughout the night I kind of just figured it would be near the same as parking uphill.

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    So leaving it for another 100 or so posts will be fine.

rkeating, it's good to see someone willing to learn from scratch.

Just to clarify, coolant level is how much coolant in the system. Coolant temp is, well, coolant temp.
    I'm always ready to learn something new and give it my all. I am a computers guy, much like you guys tell me where things are in cars, I could tell you in and out every spec and detail, how to replace fix and diagnose all of your issues, etc. Been doing it since I was about 10, +2 years young user experience. Cars are another thing someone should be familiar with, and know how to get around and maintain to keep up performance, just a matter of time and dedication from here on out.

The clutch is hydraulic, and doesn't engage until you're at a steady cruising speed. Had nothing to do with being on ramps.
    His post scared me, thakn you for clearing that up. Haha.

I'm about to get started on that coolant drain petcock here shortly after I make some breakfast and get things situated.

I'm the complete opposite. I've been working on cars since I was ~10, but I can only do very basic things with computers.

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    I work in IT and one thing i adopted about cars from my computer experience is the process of elimination when it comes to diagnosing a car issue

I'm the complete opposite. I've been working on cars since I was ~10, but I can only do very basic things with computers.
    Just how life goes, I suppose. :P

Pokemon Reference: You teach me and I'll teach you. Ha. HA. I friggen hate pokemon.

Also, I think I have discovered the oil filter, huzzah! At least I can get a nice little oil change and filter replacement going now, as soon as I find the oil pan drain, but I am not even there yet, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by vincentm View Post
    I work in IT and one thing i adopted about cars from my computer experience is the process of elimination when it comes to diagnosing a car issue
    Yea, that's kind of why I am asking for extreme details, they will help me eliminate causes and let my brain go into 'well this seems logical, let me double check' mode.

Edit: Which number on that diagram above is the lower air deflector? I am assuming that I will obviously need to take off the spash shield to get to this, set it aside, then find the lower air filter and the rivets, to get that out, before I can access my petcock.

----------

Btw, saw a really good video on how to change breaks on I think a 97 Seville or Deville, but I am assuming the method and area are relatively similar, especially enough to replicate on most cars. Just need a c clamp O.O

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

terminology -

coolant level =
    the amount of coolant in the serge tank -
    relating to the the FULL COLD line -

coolant/engine temperature =
    engine temp and coolant temp are synonymous -
    but is usually called engine temp -

breaks and brakes -
    a drinking glass breaks -
    your car has brakes -

Forgot to mention post purge line cleaning results
    OK - so you cleaned the hollow bolt -
    did you also check that the line between the hollow bolt -
    and the serge tank is clear? Did you blow through it?

I am a computers guy
    cars was my first career - computers was my second -

here is a question for you -

what is the most secure method of storing data - and why -

I'm talking a physical device - not encryption -
    -------------------------
    the answer to this question is how I got my foot in the door -
    to build specialty "forensic computers" for various government agencies -

Quote Originally Posted by rkeating09 View Post
    Edit: Which number on that diagram above is the lower air deflector?
    The lower air deflector (#11) is also called the splash shield. This one is different than mine and may not have to be removed. You might be able to get to the drain plug without removing it.

Quote Originally Posted by basscatt View Post
    terminology -

coolant level =
    the amount of coolant in the serge tank -
    relating to the the FULL COLD line -

coolant/engine temperature =
    engine temp and coolant temp are synonymous -
    but is usually called engine temp -

breaks and brakes -
    a drinking glass breaks -
    your car has brakes -

Forgot to mention post purge line cleaning results
    OK - so you cleaned the hollow bolt -
    did you also check that the line between the hollow bolt -
    and the serge tank is clear? Did you blow through it?

I am a computers guy
    cars was my first career - computers was my second -

here is a question for you -

I'm talking a physical device - not encryption -
    -------------------------
    the answer to this question is how I got my foot in the door -
    to build specialty "forensic computers" for various government agencies -
    I feel fullblown stupid for misspelling brakes. Oh well.

"here is a question for you -

I'm talking a physical device - not encryption - "

Well, I for sure never got into any forensic type systems, and I guess it also depends on how much space you need to back up.

I would say for anything 8-16GB a simple flash drive, storage just get a lockbox in a bank, or what have you.
    If you're talking about securing entire system's data (PC, large data base, etc)

I would just have a bunch of labeled external harddrives, right? Personally, I was the kind of kid who wanted to hack games, which usually ended up in getting massive viruses, so I just simply partitioned my C drive, 80% on D 20% on C, majority of viruses target Sys32 or whatever else on C drive and leaves D virtually clean if you never associate files between the two. (Clarify, 20% Partition was simply for holding OS/Drivers/Etc, 80% Was for Music, Games, Programs, etc.) When I would kill my computer, I would simply reformat the C partition, leaving D untouched and full of all my programs and games, that are already compatible after reformat and driver updates.

So either Partitions of Large Inner HD's would be a great, and mostly secure way of storing data.
    Or USB 1TB+ External Hard Drives for larger projects and storage.

I've never really done anything on a business level of diagnostic and repairs, mostly just the guy everyone goes to when they need their computer fixed.

----------

The lower air deflector (#11) is also called the splash shield. This one is different than mine and may not have to be removed. You might be able to get to the drain plug without removing it.

Mornin' Ranger, and thank you for your help in this thread as well. Now that Lower Air Deflector and Splash Shield are defined as the same, it clears up some stuff. It looks like the splash shield is tied up near the radiator should I unscrew it up around there too? THey have little black circles over them. Also, I guess if the attachment is on the side of the radiator driver's side, then I should be able to head out there and get this situated.

Edit: There is no engine temp reading on the panel outside of coolant temp. However, if they are synonymous, how will I know if my engine is overheating if coolant is staying the same? Does that mean, if the coolant is good, then the engine is good / if the engine was overheating you would definitely tell through the coolant level?

Before you remove anything see if you can get at the drain plug. Like I said, you may not have to remove anything.
    rkeating09 likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.