New to Cars in General, have a 95 Eldorado, plethora of problems - Page 4
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 256
Like Tree42Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, New to Cars in General, have a 95 Eldorado, plethora of problems in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by rkeating09 Where would I be able to pick up some sort of jack / car ramp for ...
  1. #46
    basscatt's Avatar
    basscatt is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Minnesota
    Age
    63
    Posts
    10,055

    Re: New to Cars in General, have a 95 Eldorado, plethora of problems, help?! D:

    Quote Originally Posted by rkeating09 View Post
    Where would I be able to pick up some sort of jack / car ramp for really, really cheap? I have the weekend to myself, but very little money, and I'd love to flush the coolant tank and put coolant in it, clean the purge line, and do whatever else I can do in the meantime for cheap to try to get these issues resolved
    ---------------------
    also check in your local craigslist - I picked up a pair of steel ramps for $15 -

  2. #47
    rkeating09 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 95 Eldorado
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Age
    23
    Posts
    105

    Re: New to Cars in General, have a 95 Eldorado, plethora of problems, help?! D:

    Quote Originally Posted by basscatt View Post
    ---------------------
    also check in your local craigslist - I picked up a pair of steel ramps for $15 -
    Yea thats what Im looking at right now.

  3. #48
    Ranger's Avatar
    Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Woodstock Ill.
    Age
    66
    Posts
    73,812

    Re: New to Cars in General, have a 95 Eldorado, plethora of problems, help?! D:

    Don't overlook Ebay.

  4. #49
    Tankboy40's Avatar
    Tankboy40 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '93 ETC (N* 120k)
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Akron Ohio
    Age
    41
    Posts
    321

    Re: New to Cars in General, have a 95 Eldorado, plethora of problems, help?! D:

    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Go for the biggest floor jack you can afford. In this case, bigger IS better.
    AMEN!


  5. #50
    bwv565 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 Ford Mustang, 2004 Mazda MX-5 Miata GT
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    545

    Re: New to Cars in General, have a 95 Eldorado, plethora of problems, help?! D:

    Quote Originally Posted by Faith76 View Post
    Jaysus H Christmas am I glad I didn't get a North Star. This thread is terrifying.
    Problem is, when they're good, they're fantastic. The power that they produce for such heavy vehicles is just amazing.

  6. #51
    rkeating09 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 95 Eldorado
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Age
    23
    Posts
    105

    Re: New to Cars in General, have a 95 Eldorado, plethora of problems, help?! D:

    Hey again, everyone. So I've been doing a toooon of reading.

    Couple things:

    I have a couple of car ramps (rhino ramp) with 12,000 lb carry, so I think my car will be fine, definitely elevated enough to get underneath with ease.
    Also got some drain pans, hoozah.


    I read that it was okay to drive a car in this condition as long as:

    1) You don't go past 50MPH
    2) You don't try to pass anyone.
    3) You don't accelerate heavily.

    With that the car didn't over heat, but I also read that the danger zone for temperature is 230.

    Initial Journey: Approx 7-10 Minute Drive
    Car reached 196 after starting from 180.
    Shortly after (10 minutes) I took it down the road a bit further to try and find an auto store, and I didn't. While "idling" which I imagine is just sitting there at a stop light with the breaks on, the car shoots up in heat, it started reaching 205... 207.. 214... 219. 225... in rather quick intervals, as I sped up after the idling, the temperature dropped back down to 210-219. Never really initially going back down under 200.

    From what I've been reading, it sounds like the purge line may not be getting a constant flow of coolant, or in my case at the moment, water. At about 225/226 you can smell the water / coolant residue / whatever else may be heating up and coming through the vents (The heater core is bypassed, and the ac/blower is off).


    I'm letting the engine cool off now, and I am going to drain the purgeline, (no confirmation yet if the cord I found was the right one leading to the hollow bolt, but I am pretty sure it is it.) Afterwards, I am going to disassemble the tube, and start the engine to see if it has a consistent flow, and I will report back to you if it doesn't. Regardless, I am going to take the wire hanger to it and see if I can't unclog something, because to me it feels at idle, there isn't a very consistent flow, but as you speed up, the temperature regulates / drops ~10 degrees.

    Any thoughts?

    Quick Edit:

    I took a quick look under the car to see if i could find the coolant tank drain plug (couldn't), but also noticed a little bit of oil is on the tarp, is that natural? I didn't see anything bleeding profusely, nor a large amount, if any, dripping into the puddle, maybe caught a glimpse of a drop or two, not entirely sure.

    Also, where should I be looking for the drain plug to the coolant tank?

    Quick Edit #2:

    After a secondary glance, there is no more oil coming out and it doesnt seem the small puddle has grown at all, I got a better look underneath and a lot of stuff seems to be grimed with oil, and there is a small/medium sized white cylinder type objtect, underneath toward the front, that has drips of oil accumulating on the bottom of it. Is it time to check that out? Oil Filter?

    Also, after letting the car cool down I opened the coolant tank cap, had a little surprise burst of air, nothing crazy. The water looks pretty murky. Like, not quite milk looking, just grey water type. Maybe it just has something to do with it going through the engine, etc. Like I said, still a nooby.

    I've also concluded that the head gasket should be fine. I've read a lot of symptoms of broken head gaskets and I can't say that I fall under any category, no white smoke coming out of my car, oil stick doesnt have milky oil on it, etc.

    Quick Edit #3:

    The reason I didn't go with a floor jack over a car ramp is only because most of the gruond I am working on is dead grass/gravel, quite bumpy, no garage or flatter land to use, so I laid down a tarp, set up the ramps, called the number on them to verify I wasn't going to get my head smashed in, the car has been sitting fine for the past 20-30 minutes.

    Quick Edit #4:

    The purge line clip seems to be rather troubling. Is there a simple way to get it off or am I just honestly that kinda r-tarded. I tried squeezing the clamp and loosening the line itself, but I don't think that worked. It's on there pretty good, which I am assuming, high heat + rubber = bad situation.

  7. #52
    eldorado_sean's Avatar
    eldorado_sean is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 98' Eldorado ESC
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Burbank, California
    Posts
    347
    The drain plug (petcock) is on I think left side of radiator( correct me if I'm wrong) somebody will chime in soon that knows for sure.

    ----------

    My bad petcock is on drivers side. Drop the splash shield and it should be right there. Don't forget to take off the cap so there's air flow.

  8. #53
    rkeating09 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 95 Eldorado
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Age
    23
    Posts
    105

    Re: New to Cars in General, have a 95 Eldorado, plethora of problems, help?! D:

    Quote Originally Posted by eldorado_sean View Post
    The drain plug (petcock) is on I think left side of radiator( correct me if I'm wrong) somebody will chime in soon that knows for sure.
    My main problem is, all of the terminology I should know, I can't match names of objects to that object. Radiator makes me think of the coolant tank.

    SO there is a (plastic?) (black?) splash shield I am looking for, what tools do I need to take it off? In the middle right of the engine on drivers side? Front? Back? What are some "landmarks" i should be looking for?

  9. #54
    basscatt's Avatar
    basscatt is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Minnesota
    Age
    63
    Posts
    10,055

    Re: New to Cars in General, have a 95 Eldorado, plethora of problems, help?! D:

    Quote Originally Posted by rkeating09 View Post
    My main problem is, all of the terminology I should know, I can't match names of objects to that object. Radiator makes me think of the coolant tank.

    SO there is a (plastic?) (black?) splash shield I am looking for, what tools do I need to take it off? In the middle right of the engine on drivers side? Front? Back? What are some "landmarks" i should be looking for?
    ----------------------------------
    you should do yourself a BIG FAVOR -

    spend less than $60 - and get this -

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1995-CADILLA...6a2f5c&vxp=mtr

  10. #55
    rkeating09 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 95 Eldorado
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Age
    23
    Posts
    105

    Re: New to Cars in General, have a 95 Eldorado, plethora of problems, help?! D:

    Thank you for the link, Basscat.
    I will definitely relay that information and see if I can't get it rather soon.

    Do you have any tips or tricks for removing the purge line? I get the clamp down, I can't go anywhere with it, and slowly turning the cord / pulling on it for sure isn't doing the trick.

  11. #56
    Ranger's Avatar
    Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Woodstock Ill.
    Age
    66
    Posts
    73,812

    Re: New to Cars in General, have a 95 Eldorado, plethora of problems, help?! D:

    Quote Originally Posted by eldorado_sean View Post
    The drain plug (petcock) is on I think left side of radiator( correct me if I'm wrong) somebody will chime in soon that knows for sure.

    ----------

    My bad petcock is on drivers side. Drop the splash shield and it should be right there. Don't forget to take off the cap so there's air flow.
    The drivers side IS the left side. Left and right are always given as viewed from the drivers seat.

    ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by rkeating09 View Post
    My main problem is, all of the terminology I should know, I can't match names of objects to that object. Radiator makes me think of the coolant tank.

    SO there is a (plastic?) (black?) splash shield I am looking for, what tools do I need to take it off? In the middle right of the engine on drivers side? Front? Back? What are some "landmarks" i should be looking for?
    I am not trying to be a smart ass so don't take this wrong, but maybe you should have it done.

  12. #57
    rkeating09 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 95 Eldorado
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Age
    23
    Posts
    105

    Re: New to Cars in General, have a 95 Eldorado, plethora of problems, help?! D:

    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    I am not trying to be a smart ass so don't take this wrong, but maybe you should have it done.
    Hey no, it's cool. I take constructive and destructive criticism all the same. I know I SHOULD have it done, the problem of the entire situation at the moment is: I need to learn how to maintain and upkeep this car without paying a ton of money to shops, solely due to the fact that I don't have money, and previous info states to not listen to mechanics who are already shitty about dealing with Cadi's.

    Like I said, I don't know anything about cars, I guess the next step is google image everything thats said, and try to piece together where it goes. I try googling / youtubing / forum searching for the most part, before-during-and after advice.

    Sadly, taking it into a shop isn't going to be an option.
    Gladly, I am willing to put in the time and effort to learn about it, and I am on par with getting that book, which I think for sure you're right about it being a big help. But for the most part, I am going to be patient in these forums until I can truly understand what I am doing.

    It takes me a minute to get going, but once I start to understand how each thing works, I will turn into a Cadi Genius. I'm just hoping I'm not burning anyone's patience because the help is really awesome.

    Most of you have already gone above and beyond most forum communities in terms of helping and giving advice on how to fix things, and I hate to feel 'expecting' of answers.

    It's reaaaaaaaally hard to sound like a smartass, condescending, etc to me, because I simply don't care for that kind of stuff. I'm just trying to fix the car. ;P

    Anyways, thank you so much.

    I thought I found what is believed to be a splash guard, it was kind of torn (wobbly plastic / cardboard type material) at the front bottom of the car, I looked on the left side of it and I couldn't find anything resembling a petcock.

    I just looked at this thread : http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-radiator.html

    and am gonna go take another gander at this area.

    ----------

    While I still have failed to get the petcock to show itself to me, gigiddy, I did get the purge line off! Took a wire hanger right in there and it started to spew out bubbly liquid, (good sign, bad sign?) I'm thinking good sign.

    ----------

    Update: It turned into a good stream! I think I may have gotten all the air out?! So next step is finding this petcock so I can rinse the tank, yea?

  13. #58
    basscatt's Avatar
    basscatt is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Minnesota
    Age
    63
    Posts
    10,055

    Re: New to Cars in General, have a 95 Eldorado, plethora of problems, help?! D:

    Quote Originally Posted by rkeating09 View Post
    Hey no, it's cool. I take constructive and destructive criticism all the same. I know I SHOULD have it done, the problem of the entire situation at the moment is: I need to learn how to maintain and upkeep this car without paying a ton of money to shops, solely due to the fact that I don't have money, and previous info states to not listen to mechanics who are already shitty about dealing with Cadi's.

    Like I said, I don't know anything about cars, I guess the next step is google image everything thats said, and try to piece together where it goes. I try googling / youtubing / forum searching for the most part, before-during-and after advice.

    Sadly, taking it into a shop isn't going to be an option.
    Gladly, I am willing to put in the time and effort to learn about it, and I am on par with getting that book, which I think for sure you're right about it being a big help. But for the most part, I am going to be patient in these forums until I can truly understand what I am doing.

    It takes me a minute to get going, but once I start to understand how each thing works, I will turn into a Cadi Genius. I'm just hoping I'm not burning anyone's patience because the help is really awesome.

    Most of you have already gone above and beyond most forum communities in terms of helping and giving advice on how to fix things, and I hate to feel 'expecting' of answers.

    It's reaaaaaaaally hard to sound like a smartass, condescending, etc to me, because I simply don't care for that kind of stuff. I'm just trying to fix the car. ;P

    Anyways, thank you so much.

    I thought I found what is believed to be a splash guard, it was kind of torn (wobbly plastic / cardboard type material) at the front bottom of the car, I looked on the left side of it and I couldn't find anything resembling a petcock.

    I just looked at this thread : http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-radiator.html

    and am gonna go take another gander at this area.

    ----------

    While I still have failed to get the petcock to show itself to me, gigiddy, I did get the purge line off! Took a wire hanger right in there and it started to spew out bubbly liquid, (good sign, bad sign?) I'm thinking good sign.

    ----------

    Update: It turned into a good stream! I think I may have gotten all the air out?! So next step is finding this petcock so I can rinse the tank, yea?
    -----------------------
    I did get the purge line off!
    Took a wire hanger right in there
    and it started to spew out bubbly liquid,


    Update: It turned into a good stream!
    I think I may have gotten all the air out?!

    so - got the PURGE LINE checked and cleared -
    and that only took 50+ posts -

    I can hardly wait for spark plug replacement - 101 -
    MoistCabbage likes this.

  14. #59
    rkeating09 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 95 Eldorado
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Age
    23
    Posts
    105

    Re: New to Cars in General, have a 95 Eldorado, plethora of problems, help?! D:

    Quote Originally Posted by basscatt View Post
    -----------------------
    I did get the purge line off!
    Took a wire hanger right in there
    and it started to spew out bubbly liquid,


    Update: It turned into a good stream!
    I think I may have gotten all the air out?!

    so - got the PURGE LINE checked and cleared -
    and that only took 50+ posts -

    I can hardly wait for spark plug replacement - 101 -

    Haha, quite the joker! :P
    For the most part, I was trying to locate it, and be ready when I got the tools. When I started the thread, I didn't have car ramp(s), or anything that would allow me to work on it. Got it all today, and finally, yes, cleared that pesky purge line. It looked like it outed a LOOOOOOOOT of air, then turned into a very good stream (with the car off).

    I just plugged it back up and turned on the car:

    It booted at 115/125.
    After about 5 minutes it warmed up to 180, I haven't spun it around the block to see if it goes back up to 220+ yet because I want to find a way to drain this car and put the right amount of 50/50 in it, instead of having water in it.

    I saw a great thread of spark plug replacement, I think its gonna start getting a lot simpler from here on out. :P

  15. #60
    Ranger's Avatar
    Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Woodstock Ill.
    Age
    66
    Posts
    73,812

    Re: New to Cars in General, have a 95 Eldorado, plethora of problems, help?! D:

    The petcock aka drain plug (#8) is on the lower left of the radiator (as viewed from the drivers seat).



    Coolant change 101:
    Remove the lower air deflector by pulling the center pin in the dozen or so push pin rivets and then remove the rivet.
    After you drain the system, push the plug back in and turn it to close it (I am not positive, but I don't think you remove it. Once it flows coolant, leave it be. Don't want to break it). Refill the system with 50/50 Dex-Cool and distilled water (it's much easier if you premix it). Start the engine and top it off as the W/P will suck the tank down. Once it stabilizes, run the RPM up to about 3K for a minute or so to purge most of the air out of the system. Reinstall the lower air deflector. Then recheck your coolant level after the engine cools down after the next 2 or 3 drives and top off as necessary. DO NOT add any cooling system supplements aka sealant tabs.

    ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by rkeating09 View Post
    I need to learn how to maintain and upkeep this car without paying a ton of money to shops
    That's how most of us learned. The school of hard knocks where the test comes before the lesson so pay attention to what we tell you.

    ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by basscatt View Post
    -----------------------

    I can hardly wait for spark plug replacement - 101 -
    Wait till we get to brake job 101.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting