New to Cars in General, have a 95 Eldorado, plethora of problems - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree42Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, New to Cars in General, have a 95 Eldorado, plethora of problems in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by basscatt ------------------------------------------- remove the clamp at the RED arrow - carefully twist the hose to get loose ...
    rkeating09 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 95 Eldorado

Re: New to Cars in General, have a 95 Eldorado, plethora of problems, help?! D:

Quote Originally Posted by basscatt View Post
    -------------------------------------------
    remove the clamp at the RED arrow -
    carefully twist the hose to get loose - and pull it off -
    what the hose is clamped to is the hollow bolt -
    You are the best, thank you so much. I have a feeling I found it, just awaiting confirmation. I read I could test it by starting the car first to see if I can feel the flow before taking it off.

Edit: Started car and touched what I believe to be the purge line, and I felt a flow.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Touching it will tell you nothing. It will get hot without a steady flow of coolant.

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    Touching it will tell you nothing. It will get hot without a steady flow of coolant.
    MoistCabbage, you're quite awesome.
    So what should I get to capture the coolant that comes out of there? What can I take off to make it easier to access this pipe? And most specifically, what tools do I need to make this process easy?

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 96 STS, 140k

leaky heater core and stop leak sometimes are connected. the purge line on the northstar lets trapped air in cooling system escape with no work required by owner. most cars have a air bleed screw on cooling system where tech is required to open vent to let air out. some cars will vent on their own over time but also may show odd overheating indications on temp gauge while doing it. there is a reason some cars actually have a cooling system warning sticker under the hood telling people damage may occur if you do it wrong.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by rkeating09 View Post
    MoistCabbage, you're quite awesome.
    So what should I get to capture the coolant that comes out of there? What can I take off to make it easier to access this pipe? And most specifically, what tools do I need to make this process easy?
    Just pull the hose at the surge tank as pictured in post #24. Remove the cap on the surge tank (cold engine). Stick the hose in it and start the car. If you have flow it will be recirculated into the cooling system with no mess. If you don't then clear the hollow bolt at the other end.
    Tankboy40 likes this.

Tankboy40 likes this.

Faith76 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 89 Sedan DeVille, 90 Fleetwood, 94 Fleetwood Hearse

Jaysus H Christmas am I glad I didn't get a North Star. This thread is terrifying.
    bwv565 likes this.

Lol! You should read what happened with mine.

Any used car can be a basket case, or have a few simple problems, or be trouble free. That's why pre purchase inspections and test drives are important.
    vincentm likes this.

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

Quote Originally Posted by Faith76 View Post
    Jaysus H Christmas am I glad I didn't get a North Star. This thread is terrifying.

You should see the saga i endured, but in the end it's a helluva an engine that will reward you thricefold.
    Tankboy40 and Chuckj19 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by vincentm View Post
    You should see the saga i endured, but in the end it's a helluva an engine that will reward you thricefold.
    That's what I'm expecting. I have a nephew who I'm always trying to get to learn something, I think I'll have him fix up this car with me so he has more appreciation when we hit the road. I'm just really glad I found this forum, Tech Tips Forum is amazing, and the community is above and beyond helpful.

Where would I be able to pick up some sort of jack / car ramp for really, really cheap? I have the weekend to myself, but very little money, and I'd love to flush the coolant tank and put coolant in it, clean the purge line, and do whatever else I can do in the meantime for cheap to try to get these issues resolved

Kmart, Walmart, Sears, Menards, the list goes on and on.

I guess that's logical, haha. Right on.

Go for the biggest floor jack you can afford. In this case, bigger IS better.
    Tankboy40 likes this.

Yea. It may have to wait, sadly. I'm not sure.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.