New to Cars in General, have a 95 Eldorado, plethora of problems - Page 17
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, New to Cars in General, have a 95 Eldorado, plethora of problems in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by rkeating09 ... Yea I was thinking of changing the belt. But question, if my belt is in ...
    98cadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Seville STS

Re: New to Cars in General, have a 95 Eldorado, plethora of problems, help?! D:

Quote Originally Posted by rkeating09 View Post
    Yea I was thinking of changing the belt. But question, if my belt is in 'good' condition:

1) How is a new one not going to slip or jump
    2) How is the old one going to slip or jump

That's a good idea to keep spares, I'll ahve to do that. I will check all the grooves in all the things, they looked like they were in good shape.
    No offense intended, but with your limited automotive knowledge at this point, are you confident that a $15.00 part is in good enough shape to risk being stranded on the side of the road?

I'm pretty sure that it has been damaged in some way, as that's what destroyed the tensioner pulley when the pulley seized.

rkeating09 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 95 Eldorado

Quote Originally Posted by 98cadillac View Post
    No offense intended, but with your limited automotive knowledge at this point, are you confident that a $15.00 part is in good enough shape to risk being stranded on the side of the road?

I'm pretty sure that it has been damaged in some way, as that's what destroyed the tensioner pulley when the pulley seized.
    Hey no offense taken whatsoever.

I do believe this piece is in good enough shape. I will indeed replace it, however, I am quite confident in it not being completely useless. I mean, I don't think it comes down to automotive knowledge over common sense with the belt. I've seen destroyed belts. I can take some pics of my belt to show and confirm, however, it's not in bad shape. It has a couple wears and one very small section of a rib of the belt is missing, but I mean really small. <2cm

I think I can get a good couple test rounds on the car with it. But I will definitely replace it sooner than later.

dou1t2 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 96 Seville SLS and 99 Eldorado ESC,also 91 F-150 and a 73 MG

Buy a new belt and install it and have no worries concerning this problem. Keep your used one as a backup. Or do it the other way around if you want to. You would be able to get the total life of that used, damaged belt that way, but it could go at the worst of times. i.e. the fast lane during rush hour traffic!
    98cadillac and rkeating09 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by dou1t2 View Post
    Buy a new belt and install it and have no worries concerning this problem. Keep your used one as a backup. Or do it the other way around if you want to. You would be able to get the total life of that used, damaged belt that way, but it could go at the worst of times. i.e. the fast lane during rush hour traffic!
    Well, that would surely suck. I'll see if I can't get on getting a new one faster.

Mafiaman111 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Eldorado 173000 miles Black on Black

This thread has got to be the biggest thread I have seen in a while. Now if this was my car I would have already been checking everything out and making sure everything checked out. When I got my caddy a few years ago I was like you I didnt know crap about the car but I learned quickly and three years later its my most reliable car

So, if you play your cards right this car will pan out for you
    rkeating09 likes this.

Hey again everyone,

I just installed my Pulley-Tensioner after it came in the mail.

I'm trying to figure out where the best spot to see if there is flow. I figured I'd see something if I took the purge line hose off, but I'm not. I checked the lower radiator hose to see if there had been a buildup of coolant, there has been.

Also, when I squeeze the hoses (top and bot) I'm not sure if I've heard this before, but there is a sound that air is easily escaping from the ends of the radiator hoses. (The car has been off for days).

Any ideas?

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

Reconnect everything (properly) fill her up and take her for a drive.
    dou1t2 likes this.

You got it, thanks.

Also, for just around the block driving, completely dry, new roads (nothing to splash up into the car), is it ok to drive with the serpentine belt guard off? Or should my drive be to autozone to pick up some 10mm bolts to put it back on?

Mafiaman111 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Eldorado 173000 miles Black on Black

i drove with my splash shield off for a long time, i just put it back on in june after installing a new a/c compressor, so it should be fine to do so but be warned when i took my belt off it was missing pieces from the rocks hitting the belt

Awesome, thank you everyone! The car isn't overheating! At least not on a 10 minute cruise around. I want to test it on the freeway, I got the bolt(s) to plug that guard back in, and I got an oil filter and a big thing of oil. Bouts to do that up once I figure out how to get the filter off. ;D It's grimed down there.

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

is it ok to drive with the serpentine belt guard off?
    The WP belt guard serves one purpose and one purpose only. It is to keep fingers out of the spinning belt.

There is no belt guard on the serpentine belt.

I have it all connected.
    I changed my oil filter / oil (all 7.5 quarts) and the 'change oil' message still pops up. Is there something I have to do to reset that?
    Also, the car now runs very well! No overheating issues, however I do have a 'System Ride Control' message, or something similar to that.

I've seen something on that, but my plan is to sell my car so I can get to burning man (dumb story about me being dumb, tldr- Got scammed out of $800), and restart with the knew knowledge I have about cars. I was wondering how detrimental that ride control message is, how much of a shop fix it would be, etc.

Plus side, car runs. Doesn't overheat. I seem to need some coolant topping off, so Ill do that stat.

Any info on the change oil message?

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    You do have to reset the OLM manually. Scroll to the oil life percentage readout, and hold the reset button until it does.

The service ride control message could be anything from a disconnected suspension height sensor, to bad electronically controlled dampers (shocks/struts), which cost more than $500 each.

Thank you Ill get on that reset. I'm assuming it has something to do with the shocks, it's quite noisy over some bumps, but that also might be my muffler? Idk.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Codes pertaining to the dampers are for the electronic actuators only, nothing to do with the mechanical condition of the damper. Also, shocks/struts don't typically make noise when worn.
    rkeating09 likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.