New to Cars in General, have a 95 Eldorado, plethora of problems - Page 15
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, New to Cars in General, have a 95 Eldorado, plethora of problems in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Not trying to scare you or suggest that it is a HG, but just for the record, forget the steam ...
    Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

Re: New to Cars in General, have a 95 Eldorado, plethora of problems, help?! D:

Not trying to scare you or suggest that it is a HG, but just for the record, forget the steam ("smoke") from the pipes. You won't see that until the late stages when there is no longer any question and Northstars don't put coolant in the oil when a HG fails so that symptom is out as well.

98cadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Seville STS

Quote Originally Posted by rkeating09 View Post
    @98Cad

I've had small revivals of hope about the head gasket since starting this thread. It doesn't drive like there's a blown headgasket. Just no coolant flow. There's never been any white smoke coming out of the back, the oil doesn't look milky, I've looked at all the signs of one, and I don't fit the criteria, but you never know unless you know, yea?
    As posted above, that doesn't necessarily mean that the head gasket is not bad, but until you replace the tensioner or the tensioner pulley, it's too early to think about that (or anything else that might be broken). I'm not sure if the pulley is available off the shelf at a local auto parts store, but the entire tensioner should be.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

just as a curiosity and as a side note i'd like to ask some of the more seasoned members in here what the symptoms of a bad N* HG would be if the bolts weren't pulling out (normal head gasket compromise)

misfire upon starting up until coolant soaked cylinder(s) 'clean out' any coolant pushed in while the engine cooling off after running right?
    sweet white smoke out the tailpipes upon starting up for the same reason, right?
    & no overheating... right?

anything else i missed?
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

rkeating09 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 95 Eldorado

SO yea, with the guard off I decided to look a bit more closely at the spinning WP Tensioner Belt.

As it was spinning, with the 'pulley' completely in shambles and off, I noticed on the pulley area, it was all spinning but there was a maybe... 1 1/2 diameter metal circle that was wobbling back and forth right under the belt, or right next to it where the belt meets tensioner. I am thinking I need to replace the entire thing, not just the pulley, regardless, Im gonna look up the prices on these objects.

post-2998-1197951855.gif

It looks as if what I am talking about is if #6 is the tensioner, it would be right by the #2 I believe, or where the blue arrow is in pictures in previous post in regards to the pump belt.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    That's just part of the bearing that comis with the pulley. STOP running the engine before you cause more damage.

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    That's just part of the bearing that comis with the pulley. STOP running the engine before you cause more damage.
    I understand. I try not to run it as much as possible. That's why it's just been sitting on ramps for a few days.

According to this link:

http://www.parts.com/parts/1995/CADI...iagram=BB92096

I am looking for #6 right?

the picture you've posted is of the serpentine (6rib) belt on the passenger side of the engine

try this picture

the water pump belt is the bottom half of the illustration (view A) noted in the top half with the A arrow

the water pump tensioner (with pulley, remember gm doesn't sell them separately) is #14
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

SO yea, with the guard off I decided to look a bit more closely at the spinning WP Tensioner Belt.

As it was spinning, with the 'pulley' completely in shambles and off, I noticed on the pulley area, it was all spinning but there was a maybe... 1 1/2 diameter metal circle that was wobbling back and forth right under the belt, or right next to it where the belt meets tensioner. I am thinking I need to replace the entire thing, not just the pulley, regardless, Im gonna look up the prices on these objects.

Attachment 131650

It looks as if what I am talking about is if #6 is the tensioner, it would be right by the #2 I believe, or where the blue arrow is in pictures in previous post in regards to the pump belt.
    #6 is a tensioner, but the illustration is of the wrong side of the engine. The correct tensioner is in one of the photos that you took.

The complete tensioner will probably be about $55.00.

Rippy and 98, you guys are bosses. I was wondering why it looked so damn different. That's helps immensely. So basically what I'm looking at is the debris I was holding in one of the pictures, looked like it was accumulated by the same rotation of the pump, and just buildup. And thats from item #14 in view A of that picture, so I'm not looking for a literal pin-type object? Phew. Okay. Was stumping myself again.

It looks relatively easy to replace and fix. I think I am understanding more now as to why it would cause over heating. Could anyone give me a play by play as to why if it spins, it could be still broken and causing over heating?

http://www.ehow.com/list_7373793_pro...y-tension.html

This thread kind of sums it up, nvm on the play by play. :P

...Could anyone give me a play by play as to why if it spins, it could be still broken and causing over heating?
    Because it's slipping over the water pump instead of turning it.

Quote Originally Posted by 98cadillac View Post
    Because it's slipping over the water pump instead of turning it.
    Yea, that's what I read. I'll be happy if this solves my issues. But everytime I fix one thing... something else goes. It was rather weird how the turn of events happened.

1) Bypass heater core.
    2) Car is now going into 'limp mode'
    3) Replace Catalytic Converter
    4) Car is still going into 'limp mode'.
    5) Radiator is filled with water.
    6) Drive under 50, rarely, and don't accelerate rapidly
    7) Car stops overheating.
    8) Replace battery, car is still not overheating (2 days, 5-10 mi trips to Autozone/Mechanics and back) Coolant Temp doesn't go over 215-227
    9) Get home, remove lower radiator hose, drain.
    10) **** up putting in 2/3 Gallon Antifreeze in, drain.
    11) Relatively warm engine, add in 50/50 mix, watch message pop ups until 'Coolant Level Low' is away, car is running at this point.
    12) Rev up 3KRPM a couple times, over the span of a couple minutes. Temp seems to stop @ 227, which is alright, not dangerous.
    13) Get excited that it's all fixed, take it around the block, turn corner one, long stretch, pedal to the floor for 3-5 seconds.
    14) Coolant temp rises at an incredible rate up to 230, 245 and 260 over 5 minutes, hoses get puffy and pressurized, and incredibly hot @260.
    15) Now it's the pulley issue.

Does this all add up to what my current repair solution is?

Things to replace in the future:
    Battery rack cables (Negative wire showing corrosion)
    Engine Mount Holdy-Majig (Arrowed in a recent previous post), Bushing is dried/cracked.
    Spark Plugs (not sure how old, haven't taken any out to look)
    One of my exhaust pipes is unaligned and lower than the rest.
    A couple noises after going over bumps (probably shock related), it sounds like something is far too low to the ground and bumps against the asphalt.

The more and more I learn about this car, and look inside the engine at all the crud and corrosion, this car was definitely not kept up well enough for a N*, so it's an intimidating project that I hope I don't end up having a bad HG at the end of.

Edit: I just recalled the Mechanic I took my car to for a radiator / coolant system flush pointed out the pulley and pegged that as the problem, but also wanted to replace the water pump and the pulley, as well as the flush and priced it at $564. What was he thinking? $55 total for tensioner and pulley, $55 for the flush, $37 for a waterpump (they sell GMC Certified parts, I am assuming they have the water pump removal tool, especially because he quoted me $55 on it). So It's like.. $400 in labor? Seriously? For something that should take.. an hour or two?

That's the pulley ACDelco #38025 that i mentioned before
    the pulley on the water pump belt tensioner
    the one that appears to have fallen to pieces on your car

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 96 STS, 140k
    Thread is so long I can't recall when your limp mode comment showed up. Limp mode is temp issue. Why you replaced cat is ??? Maybe car was not running right. I still think cooling system had stop leak added and that is your "crud". Flushing out system should solve most of your issues. But, having a wp tensioner fail during your cooling issues is sorta ironic. No I don't think tensioner is main cause of all your issues, but it's odd.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

It looks relatively easy to replace and fix. I think I am understanding more now as to why it would cause over heating. Could anyone give me a play by play as to why if it spins, it could be still broken and causing over heating?
    You might go back to Posts #200 and #217 and study. The W/P belt tensioner pulley is just that - it's attached to a spring loaded arm that applies tension to the pulley/belt - a sort of constant adjustment arrangement as opposed to the older bolt/slot type used to tension older engine alternator/wp belts.

If that pulley has lost its lubrication, overheated, and melted the plastic ball separator then it's one instant away from seizing and you have NO idea of just how much damage that will cause when (not "if") it freezes up at 55 mph.

If the wp belt has no tension it slips - that wp takes a right fair amount of hp to spin - 1 to 3 - so the faster you try to go, the more it slips. No/slow wp rotation = no coolant circulation = erratic, unpredictable temperature rise.

Go to Engines, Northstar Performance and read the 3 sticky posts on cooling systems, gauge operation, and fans. Consider the wp drive system: The cams spin at 1/2 engine speed, a water pump normally spins at just about engine speed - our wp is driven by the left bank intake cam - sooooo......... the cam pulley is twice the diameter of the wp pulley - that brings the wp speed back up to engine speed. ANY failure in that drive belt or one of the 3 pulleys is one absolute cause of poor cooling system performance.

Thank you guys, very much. I'm gonna order that pulley. How do I know if the tensioner is bad? Or is replacing the pulley good enough? It looks like the belt is in good shape, it also has the part number on it if it isn't, which I am sure I can diagnose a bad serpentine belt.

Overall it looks like a simple DIY / cheap repair. I'll keep you guys' updated, and thanks again.

Edit:

http://www.carpartkings.com/acdelco-...ley-38025.html

^ This is what I'm going to buy, and I've seen many guides in Tech Tips and N* Performance on how to change it.

My tools:

A crummy set of pliers.
    A (short) flathead screwdriver
    A socket wrench that fits in the tensioner spot to release the belt.
    All sockets that go to bolts in the car.

Do I need anything else?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.