New to Cars in General, have a 95 Eldorado, plethora of problems - Page 14
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, New to Cars in General, have a 95 Eldorado, plethora of problems in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Can you post a pic of the WP tensioner that you have in your car? You have posted pics in ...
    dou1t2 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 96 Seville SLS and 99 Eldorado ESC,also 91 F-150 and a 73 MG

Re: New to Cars in General, have a 95 Eldorado, plethora of problems, help?! D:

Can you post a pic of the WP tensioner that you have in your car? You have posted pics in the past, so I know you can do that part, but you have mentioned it was half there, or melted or something, but you say the belts is spinning. It must make a thumping sound or something when the belt spins around an out of round tensioner. things aren't really adding up to me right now..................................Thx

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

Is the tensioner pulley spinning as well as the belt?

rkeating09 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 95 Eldorado

Let me go grab my tools, off the guard and take some pics.

Tensioner Beltjpg.jpg

Where the blue arrow is pointing, is where the debris from photo 2 was easily pushed off with the guard off.

Debri off of blue arrowjpg.jpg

This is what came off from the blue arrow in photo 1. It chipped off easily, and is definitely more plastic feeling than metal.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

that's the tensioner and pulley the arrow is pointing at

the debris is probably part of the pulley
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

The debris is the melted (plastic) tensioner pulley ball bearing cage.

3-rib pulley can be replaced if the tensioner spring arm is good - NAPA or RockAuto (Car, year, model, engine, "belt drive"). If you need the whole tensioner assembly, talk to Chris at Rippy Cadillac parts.

PRAY that the main drive pulley - pressed TIGHTLY onto the intake cam extension - is good and true. That pulley takes special remove and install procedures.

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    The debris is the melted (plastic) tensioner pulley ball bearing cage.

3-rib pulley can be replaced if the tensioner spring arm is good - NAPA or RockAuto (Car, year, model, engine, "belt drive"). If you need the whole tensioner assembly, talk to Chris at Rippy Cadillac parts.

PRAY that the main drive pulley - pressed TIGHTLY onto the intake cam extension - is good and true. That pulley takes special remove and install procedures.
    Thank you. I will look into this and report back eventually.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

ACDelco #38025 is the pulley-only part number

it crosses over to numerous other aftermarket brand numbers
    if your local parts guys can't get that one then ask them to try and cross it to a brand that they can get or do have in stock
    rkeating09 likes this.
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    ACDelco #38025 is the pulley-only part number

it crosses over to numerous other aftermarket brand numbers
    if your local parts guys can't get that one then ask them to try and cross it to a brand that they can get or do have in stock
    Thank you Chris.

Chuckj19 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS-195,xxx (Daily Driver); 94 SLS-154,xxx RIP 2010

Very entertaining thread to read and def the longest i have ever seen. But as Ranger said, it comes down to either you "got it or don't" and seeing as me and the OP are the same age (22), I'm more mechanically-inclined as I've been through the same stuff with my 99sts..replaced engine, new waterpump, thermostat, etc. Hope everything works out RK but I think you paid too much for the car to begin with...

98cadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Seville STS

The tensioner pulley (or the tensioner itself) is bad and definitely needs to be replaced first. That will make your car overheat quickly if it fails.

The next most important thing is to do the block test. If the head gasket is bad, then anything else that you do to the car will be a waste of time and money.

Quote Originally Posted by 98cadillac View Post
    The tensioner pulley (or the tensioner itself) is bad and definitely needs to be replaced first. That will make your car overheat quickly if it fails.

The next most important thing is to do the block test. If the head gasket is bad, then anything else that you do to the car will be a waste of time and money.
    Yea. I just wanted to get coolant flow back.

You're telling me the melted off pulley will make the car overheat if it's gone? That's interesting. I've been diggin' around compiling a list of everything that was wrong, discovered, and fixed on the car.

Honestly, I think I am going to do what the guy did to me. Post a CL ad "Oh yea, no mechanical errors whatsoever! Come get this awesome car so I can get it off my hands and not give any thoughts about you or whatever situation in life you're currently in. At least I got money!'

But yea, sigh. I should have gotten a block test when I got my battery charged, but I forgot and was on a timeline. Oh well, you win some and you lose some.

I don't think it's a "you got it or you don't" kind of mentality when it comes to mechanic work or cars in general. I think life itself is a 'you got it or you don't'. You can learn anything if you want to learn it. You can do anything if you want to do it. It applies to everything, not just cars. It may take a bit longer starting from scratch but it's honestly not that hard. A little perspective, a lot of watching, and some hands on work, and I'm on my way. Too many unintelligent people walk around which gives little light to 'you got it or you don't' for whatever subject they seem to have entered. That's just not the way I look at it. It takes me some time when I do something from scratch, but I end up being incredible at it.

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 96 STS, 140k
    Worn or damaged wp tensioner pulleys are somewhat rare. I did see 2 caddys last week with broken cam pulley. Now that is an even more rare issue. Fixing ur tensioner is not hard. If the bearing is shot I would expect noise that would be hard to miss if you looked at motor during test drive.

Quote Originally Posted by stoveguyy View Post
    Worn or damaged wp tensioner pulleys are somewhat rare. I did see 2 caddys last week with broken cam pulley. Now that is an even more rare issue. Fixing ur tensioner is not hard. If the bearing is shot I would expect noise that would be hard to miss if you looked at motor during test drive.
    Yea. Since I don't know what a normal one looks like it is hard for me to piece together how it would affect the flow of coolant. And if that's not affecting it, what is. The coolant level is fine, but there is nothing coming out of any of the surge tank areas or purge line areas.

98cadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Seville STS

Quote Originally Posted by rkeating09 View Post
    Yea. I just wanted to get coolant flow back.

You're telling me the melted off pulley will make the car overheat if it's gone?...
    Yes, and it will make it start overheating almost right away. This is what gives me a little hope that the overheating may not be a bad head gasket.

Quote Originally Posted by stoveguyy View Post
    Mine seized, so I don't think issues with it are necessarily rare if it is the original tensioner/pulley. I doubt that it would happen again for a long time after it was replaced, though.

When mine seized, I heard a chirping noise for about 1-2 minutes beforehand.

The broken cam pulleys were probably caused by someone trying to take it off with the three pronged pullers (whatever they're called) instead of the proper power steering pulley puller.

@98Cad

I've had small revivals of hope about the head gasket since starting this thread. It doesn't drive like there's a blown headgasket. Just no coolant flow. There's never been any white smoke coming out of the back, the oil doesn't look milky, I've looked at all the signs of one, and I don't fit the criteria, but you never know unless you know, yea?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.