New to Cars in General, have a 95 Eldorado, plethora of problems - Page 13
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, New to Cars in General, have a 95 Eldorado, plethora of problems in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Update! (With Pictures) Water Pump Belt11.jpg Red Arrow / Wire Hanger is pointing to the pulley on the tensioner that ...
    rkeating09 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 95 Eldorado

Re: New to Cars in General, have a 95 Eldorado, plethora of problems, help?! D:

Update! (With Pictures)

Water Pump Belt11.jpg
    Red Arrow / Wire Hanger is pointing to the pulley on the tensioner that is completely busted.
    Blue arrow is pointing to the 'diddly doo' I referred to earlier, the bushing in the top section is half gone.

Surge tank line2.jpg
    Red Arrow: I can feel slight vacuuming with the car running, doesn't seem like it would be very efficient, quite low.
    Blue Arrow: Nothing is coming out of that hole with the car running, hose gone, I hanger'd both and the tube is clear.
    PS: Sadly, I dropped the effing clip, it slid off the hose when I was twisting the other end off and it didn't land on the ground, and I can't see it.

I think I am just going to take apart everything in picture 1 and see if I can't find the waterpump housing before I go out and get all the stuff to do the repairs myself.

Bonus Pic: My Neighbor's Eldorado
    neighbors eldoradoo.jpg

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Blue Arrow: Nothing is coming out of that hole with the car running, hose gone, I hanger'd both and the tube is clear.
    Nothing is supposed to come out of that hole. That is where the coolant from the purge line goes INTO the surge tank. Flow is FROM the red arrow TO the blue arrow (in the direction of the blue arrow).

From what I can see in picture #1, the WP drive pulley looks OK, though it is hard to tell from that picture. That said, if the pulley is trashed and not spinning the WP, that would explain all your problems, but as mentioned, the WP is fine unless it's leaking. Replace the tensioner, NOT the WP.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    This thread is a perfect example of when I'd have no problem going to help out the OP personally it they lived close.
    I thought of that myself.

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Quote Originally Posted by rkeating09 View Post
    Update! (With Pictures)

Attachment 130089
    Red Arrow / Wire Hanger is pointing to the pulley on the tensioner that is completely busted.
    Blue arrow is pointing to the 'diddly doo' I referred to earlier, the bushing in the top section is half gone.

Attachment 130097
    Red Arrow: I can feel slight vacuuming with the car running, doesn't seem like it would be very efficient, quite low.
    PS: Sadly, I dropped the effing clip, it slid off the hose when I was twisting the other end off and it didn't land on the ground, and I can't see it.

I think I am just going to take apart everything in picture 1 and see if I can't find the waterpump housing before I go out and get all the stuff to do the repairs myself.

Bonus Pic: My Neighbor's Eldorado
    Attachment 130105
    -----------------------------------------
    I think I am just going to take apart everything in picture 1
    and see if I can't find the waterpump housing
    before I go out and get all the stuff to do the repairs myself.

DON'T DO IT -
    you will NEVER get it back together - and running -

take to your neighbor's Cadi mechanic -

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post

Nothing is supposed to come out of that hole. That is where the coolant from the purge line goes INTO the surge tank. Flow is FROM the red arrow TO the blue arrow (in the direction of the blue arrow).

From what I can see in picture #1, the WP drive pulley looks OK, though it is hard to tell from that picture. That said, if the pulley is trashed and not spinning the WP, that would explain all your problems, but as mentioned, the WP is fine unless it's leaking. Replace the tensioner, NOT the WP.

----------

I thought of that myself.
    So what if the belt thing is spinning, but that tensioner end is junky?
    I haven't looked but the everytime I remember looking at it with the car on, it was spinning.
    Or does that tensioner perform another task with the WP?

Also, where do I find the part numbers for these items?

The belt tensioner does just what it's name implies. It keeps enough tension on the belt so it doesn't slip. If the tensioner bearing seizes, the belt stops spinning, the friction melts the plastic drive pulley on the intake cam shaft snout, the WP stops turning, thus no coolant flow, including from the purge line and the engine overheats.

You can get part numbers here.
    http://parts.nalleygmc.com/default.aspx

The belt tensioner does just what it's name implies. It keeps enough tension on the belt so it doesn't slip. If the tensioner bearing seizes, the belt stops spinning, the friction melts the plastic drive pulley on the intake cam shaft snout, the WP stops turning, thus no coolant flow, including from the purge line and the engine overheats.

You can get part numbers here.
    http://parts.nalleygmc.com/default.aspx
    Most frustrating web layout. Haha. I am thinking this is whats happening, Ill have to start up the car and look at the belt tomorrow.

dou1t2 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 96 Seville SLS and 99 Eldorado ESC,also 91 F-150 and a 73 MG

Quote Originally Posted by basscatt View Post
    ----------------------------------
    dou1t2 - GREAT SPEECH -

but have you actually read this entire NOVEL - all 165 posts?

some people just are NOT MECHANICALLY INCLINED -
    I truly believe it's a case of -
    "either ya got it - or you don't" - and he DON'T -
    and there is nothing wrong with that -

do you remember Roseanne Barr "singing" the national anthem?
    NO? - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls1YVhcLD2c

she DON'T got it either - and NOTHING will EVER change that -
    ---------------

I am not a quitter - and don't walk away from a challenge -
    BUT - there comes a time when REALITY sets in -
    and you just have to say - "it's just not meant to be" -

a "know when to hold 'um - and when to fold 'um" moment -

after 165 posts to clear a PURGE LINE -
    and drain and fill a radiator -
    and it STILL isn't done -

HE is throwing in the towel - "HE knew when to fold 'um"
    Thanks, basscatt yes I have read all of the posts from the beginning, and there was a point that I laughed to my self thinking, what many others had probably thought, is OP really that dumb. But I also realized that, at one time I didn't always understand. Sometimes it's the terminology that can be confusing. I didn't know what a HU was the first time reading the term, so I read until I figured it out. Double din was another, what the hell is din? I googled it and now I know. I to, would go help if I lived closer, and from what I see, I may be the closet since he's in SF,Ca and I'm in Oregon, but there is still 800+ miles between us!

Most frustrating web layout. Haha. I am thinking this is whats happening, Ill have to start up the car and look at the belt tomorrow.
    Be sure you are looking at the WP drive belt on the drivers side, not the serpentine belt on the passengers side. The one in the top picture.

Quote Originally Posted by dou1t2 View Post
    Thanks, basscatt yes I have read all of the posts from the beginning, and there was a point that I laughed to my self thinking, what many others had probably thought, is OP really that dumb. But I also realized that, at one time I didn't always understand. Sometimes it's the terminology that can be confusing. I didn't know what a HU was the first time reading the term, so I read until I figured it out. Double din was another, what the hell is din? I googled it and now I know. I to, would go help if I lived closer, and from what I see, I may be the closet since he's in SF,Ca and I'm in Oregon, but there is still 800+ miles between us!
    ------------------------
    Sometimes it's the terminology that can be confusing.
    I didn't know what a HU was the first time reading the term,
    so I read until I figured it out.

that's the way MOST people would do it too -
    or many come out and ask - ONCE - what's a HU -
    Head Unit - then they understand -

or DOUBLE DIN -
    I googled it and now I know
    -
    and HOW MANY TIMES - did you have to go back - and look it up -
    before you remembered what a DOUBLE DIN was - more than once?

you did your own research - and found the answer -
    and how much "googling" - or other "research" -
    do you think our friend has done on his own -

how many times should it take to understand the meaning of
    HOLLOW BOLT -
    SURGE TANK
    PURGE LINE
    RADIATOR
    RADIATOR HOSE

So what if the belt thing is spinning

Be sure you are looking at the WP drive belt on the drivers side, not the serpentine belt on the passengers side. The one in the top picture.
    Ay, I know where it's at. Thank you.

@Basscat, you said you were done here, you can exit. It's quite alright, you don't need to continue berating within this thread, trying to prove whatever point it is you're trying to prove.

As for the rest of the thread, I'm gonna go back through entirely, jot down everything that was wrong, fixed, and discovered broken things that needs to be fixed, make a list and get the mechanic's number from my neighbor and get an estimate / time frame / tow price.

If it exceeds $300, I am more than likely going to let it sit for the next month until my brothers show up so I can get some help with this thing.

Ay, I know where it's at. Thank you.

@Basscat, you said you were done here, you can exit. It's quite alright, you don't need to continue berating within this thread, trying to prove whatever point it is you're trying to prove.

As for the rest of the thread, I'm gonna go back through entirely, jot down everything that was wrong, fixed, and discovered broken things that needs to be fixed, make a list and get the mechanic's number from my neighbor and get an estimate / time frame / tow price.

If it exceeds $300, I am more than likely going to let it sit for the next month until my brothers show up so I can get some help with this thing.
    --------------------------------
    I'm gonna go back through entirely,
    jot down everything that was wrong, fixed,
    and discovered broken things that needs to be fixed,
    make a list and get the mechanic's number from my neighbor
    and get an estimate / time frame / tow price.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

ok... first things first

fix the w/pump tensioner pulley ... either replace just the pulley or replace the whole tensioner assembly
    the pulley can only be found aftermarket (gm does not sell the pulley separately from the tensioner) and it can be hard to find often as the aftermaket parts guys always want to sell you the water pump drive pulley not the water pump tensioner pulley

anyways

fix that first

then go back and see if the purge line has coolant flow to the reservoir

if not then follow that purge line back to the water pump area and check if it's blocked on that side (hollow bolt)

do this first

all other items can wait until this is fixed properly

and as a side note the water pump is good as long as it is not seized up or leaking
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    ok... first things first

fix the w/pump tensioner pulley ... either replace just the pulley or replace the whole tensioner assembly
    the pulley can only be found aftermarket (gm does not sell the pulley separately from the tensioner) and it can be hard to find often as the aftermaket parts guys always want to sell you the water pump drive pulley not the water pump tensioner pulley

anyways

fix that first

then go back and see if the purge line has coolant flow to the reservoir

if not then follow that purge line back to the water pump area and check if it's blocked on that side (hollow bolt)

do this first

all other items can wait until this is fixed properly

and as a side note the water pump is good as long as it is not seized up or leaking
    Thank you, good sir.
    That's my plan. There is just so much going now I haven't had a chance to get to it. I am going to look into it further with details and pics to follow.
    As for now I'm going to jump off this forum and do some house/yard work amongst other things.

Thank everyone again, this thread will be bumped in the future with pics and details.

jammgm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS, 1998 Eldorado ETC Crimson Pearl, Bose System

Welcome to the forum!

Since joining the forum about 2 years ago, everyone here has helped me fix many things with my 98 Eldo starting with the struts and shocks which has allowed me to keep the car, save some $$, and still enjoy it after 15 years.
    Everyone is great with helping including the moderators who do a great job!

The best approach is to first search for what you're trying to fix (using key words) then post a question if you cant find anything.

Someone will always respond and help you find what you need.

Regards,

Jim

The waterpump belt is spinning. Looks like its another interesting issue.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.