New to Cars in General, have a 95 Eldorado, plethora of problems - Page 12
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, New to Cars in General, have a 95 Eldorado, plethora of problems in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Ok, I gotta jump in! Where ever we got the bug about cars, and at what age we became diseased ...
    dou1t2 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 96 Seville SLS and 99 Eldorado ESC,also 91 F-150 and a 73 MG

Re: New to Cars in General, have a 95 Eldorado, plethora of problems, help?! D:

Ok, I gotta jump in! Where ever we got the bug about cars, and at what age we became diseased with it, really doesn't matter to me. We have it and we are here because of it. I learned about cars when I was about 8 or 9 by building model cars, you know the 1:24 scale type. I knew what a radiator lokked like and where it was in a car, as well as most other parts. I began working on them as soon as I got my first car at age 16. which was puchased with my own hard earned money. It wasn't a Caddy, but my Dad had one. I have been through Mercedes, (which I still have an affliction to and will own another someday), several imports and GM and Ford, as well as a Custom 57 F100, which I wish I still had! It took me until I was 39 and a couple of wives before I got my 96 SLS. I now have added a 99 Eldo so the fleet!
    I bought Chiton manuals for most of the vehichles for which I owned. I read and learned what I needed to know. I learned from other's as well, from hands on experience. I have rebuilt entire engines and cars from learning, be that books or now the internet. We all need to realize that RKeating is a couple of generations behind some of us, maybe more or less for other members. He is learning a way he thinks is best for him. I'll gladly help when I can and post pics as needed. I live and work seeing everything as a puzzle. There are a number of parts and pieces, and there is an order to assembling them or disassembling them, to be successful and feel like a winner in your own mind, when you do it correctly. Having some help along the way is great, but imagine you doing it all by yourself, by researching it on this website and figuring it out. Then you jump in feeling equipped with the knowledge you have learned, and WalLah, u did it! and never asked for help! I tiled my kitchen floor one day and my Dad dropped by, he had know idea I was doing this job. He said to me,"Where'd you learn to do that?", I said I read about it thought I could put the puzzle together! As I finished he told me, it looked graet and yes You did!
    I think the previous owner suspected a HG problem, bought some sealant pellets and dropped them in the purge/overflow tank. They settled into the purge line and have since clogged it. I think I would remove both ends and spray a cleaner into the hose from the top and let gravity work for you. The cleaner could be waterbased or petroleum based. Consider that break cleaners would be my first thought , but also understand that brake cleaner will probably dry out any rubber hoses or fittings. with extensive exposure. Anyways, I support you and really do appreciate what and why we have this site for.To those who post here, I am thankful.
    Ever watch a movie called "Pay It Forward." If you haven't please do, those who are here, DO JUST THAT!
    I bou
    mike5514 and bwv565 like this.

rkeating09 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 95 Eldorado

Quote Originally Posted by dou1t2 View Post
    Ok, I gotta jump in! Where ever we got the bug about cars, and at what age we became diseased with it, really doesn't matter to me. We have it and we are here because of it. I learned about cars when I was about 8 or 9 by building model cars, you know the 1:24 scale type. I knew what a radiator lokked like and where it was in a car, as well as most other parts. I began working on them as soon as I got my first car at age 16. which was puchased with my own hard earned money. It wasn't a Caddy, but my Dad had one. I have been through Mercedes, (which I still have an affliction to and will own another someday), several imports and GM and Ford, as well as a Custom 57 F100, which I wish I still had! It took me until I was 39 and a couple of wives before I got my 96 SLS. I now have added a 99 Eldo so the fleet!
    I bought Chiton manuals for most of the vehichles for which I owned. I read and learned what I needed to know. I learned from other's as well, from hands on experience. I have rebuilt entire engines and cars from learning, be that books or now the internet. We all need to realize that RKeating is a couple of generations behind some of us, maybe more or less for other members. He is learning a way he thinks is best for him. I'll gladly help when I can and post pics as needed. I live and work seeing everything as a puzzle. There are a number of parts and pieces, and there is an order to assembling them or disassembling them, to be successful and feel like a winner in your own mind, when you do it correctly. Having some help along the way is great, but imagine you doing it all by yourself, by researching it on this website and figuring it out. Then you jump in feeling equipped with the knowledge you have learned, and WalLah, u did it! and never asked for help! I tiled my kitchen floor one day and my Dad dropped by, he had know idea I was doing this job. He said to me,"Where'd you learn to do that?", I said I read about it thought I could put the puzzle together! As I finished he told me, it looked graet and yes You did!
    I think the previous owner suspected a HG problem, bought some sealant pellets and dropped them in the purge/overflow tank. They settled into the purge line and have since clogged it. I think I would remove both ends and spray a cleaner into the hose from the top and let gravity work for you. The cleaner could be waterbased or petroleum based. Consider that break cleaners would be my first thought , but also understand that brake cleaner will probably dry out any rubber hoses or fittings. with extensive exposure. Anyways, I support you and really do appreciate what and why we have this site for.To those who post here, I am thankful.
    Ever watch a movie called "Pay It Forward." If you haven't please do, those who are here, DO JUST THAT!
    I bou
    First I'd like to comment on the Pay it Forward reference. I like to pay it forward wherever I go.

Anyway, thank you for your support. I try to keep a level head, and when you do, eventually a real genuine person pops out of the woodworks. That does sound like an amazing way to learn how to fix cars, now I know for when I have kids someday. Ha. I have a 10 year old nephew who's all about gaming and I can't for the life of me get him interested in cars. That's why I want to fix this Eldo so badly and roar down the street with him. I think it's very important to learn this and trying to gauge his interest is damn near impossible.

I am having it taken to a shop tomorrow, I feel like these guys are good people, and I'm just going to be very frank about what I need done, ie unclogging of a certain two areas / the entire system. I'm honestly just hoping that works. I don't see any good news coming out of this car if it doesn't.

You're a great dude, dude.
    bwv565 likes this.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    But what about the surge tank nipple. Did you clear that out?
    Quote Originally Posted by rkeating09 View Post
    Both ends of the tube have been wired hanger'd.
    Both ends of the tube have been blown into.
    Not the tube, the nipple on the surge tank that the tube attaches to. Is THAT clear or clogged?
    Attached Images

92WHTSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 99 Eldorado ETC

This has to set the record for thread length. I'm sure the OP appreciates it though.

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

----------------------------------
    dou1t2 - GREAT SPEECH -

but have you actually read this entire NOVEL - all 165 posts?

some people just are NOT MECHANICALLY INCLINED -
    I truly believe it's a case of -
    "either ya got it - or you don't" - and he DON'T -
    and there is nothing wrong with that -

do you remember Roseanne Barr "singing" the national anthem?
    NO? - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls1YVhcLD2c

she DON'T got it either - and NOTHING will EVER change that -
    ---------------

I am not a quitter - and don't walk away from a challenge -
    BUT - there comes a time when REALITY sets in -
    and you just have to say - "it's just not meant to be" -

a "know when to hold 'um - and when to fold 'um" moment -

after 165 posts to clear a PURGE LINE -
    and drain and fill a radiator -
    and it STILL isn't done -

HE is throwing in the towel - "HE knew when to fold 'um"

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    This thread is a perfect example of when I'd have no problem going to help out the OP personally it they lived close.
    rkeating09 likes this.

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    This thread is a perfect example of when I'd have no problem going to help out the OP personally it they lived close.
    Same here if he lived close id be there to assist as well.
    rkeating09 likes this.

I agree with both MC and vincentm -
    I would MORE than happy to also -

it's typically a 10 job for the PURGE LINE -
    and MAYBE another 30 minutes for the flush and fill -
    rkeating09 likes this.

Or 12 minutes total if all 3 of us go
    basscatt and rkeating09 like this.

Or 12 minutes total if all 3 of us go
    -------------------------------------------
    NASCAR pit crew -
    MoistCabbage and rkeating09 like this.

Looks like a change of heart took place here!

Anyway, I took in my car to get it estimated of how much it would take to flush out my system and refill it.
    It turns out clogging isn't the main issue and there were about 4 things pointed out to me.

(PS: Basscat, I'm not throwin' in the towel! Just trying to get some pro help and visual references and now that i have that::

1) He said it isn't so much a clog, rather than my water pump HAS to be destroyed:
    1a) The water belt tensioner is trashed, I saw this for myself and it definitely did NOT look good.
    2) He feels it's a water pump issue. Which I don't doubt one bit.
    3) I need to replace the tensioner, belt and all that jazz. (It moves, but it isn't like... well. He said its the 'pulley' and it was just a giant melted metal clunk of shit that you could see clearly and touch)
    4) I am sure it is clogged, but these issues need to be handled now.

There are a lot of things I now need to make a list of (the correct water pump part, the tool to remove it, potentially some new hoses, I have to replace one of the doodads that go from the top of the radiator to the holder above the top radiator hose).

@Mositcabbage, when the car cools down I will check for clogging there, but there are serious issues with teh water pump, which Is why I think nothing is coming out of the hollowbolt, nor being able to blow inside of it.

he wasn't very familiar with Cadillac's purge system, so when I asked him how much it would cost to unclog that area, he said he recommends a system flush, which would take a couple hours to make sure everything is flowing to each part correctly, $140. After he noticed all of the other things that were wrong, he said he could do it all for $564 (parts & labor), to which I rapidly declined and drove the car home.

I am going to wait for it to cool off, then disassemble everything down to the water pump (I saw the post on how to change it, also a ton of videos on youtube, very easy to follow, I need a breaker bar and a couple longer extentions to my wrench). But for the most part, its looking like instead of giving the shop $564, I am going to either fix it myself, or talk to my neighbor who has a cadi mechanic friend who does $1000 jobs for about $200-$250, apparently just a good guy mechanic.

For those who would offer their time to help if I happened to live closer, I greatly appreciate how genuine and helpful you all are, and have been throughout this thread.

But it's looking like, try to get it done myself (which at this point I am not worried about digging around in this car, I will be able to do it), wait for my stepfather / brothers to get here to team this shit out, or take it to my neighbor's mechanic after telling him everything that's wrong with it, that needs to be fixed, and getting an estimate before trying to drive it across the bay, or towign it across the bay.

The Northstar water pump is all steel, no plastic impeller to wear down or crack. Extremely unlikely that a weld has failed. If it's spinning, it's pumping.

A melted pulley is a whole other story. If either the water pump or tensioner pulley locks up, the plastic drive pulley WILL melt the drive belt and itself pretty quickly.

Did you see a melted pulley next to the front valve cover, above the water pump?

Out of curiosity, what part of the country are you in?

Quote Originally Posted by basscatt View Post
    after 165 posts to clear a PURGE LINE -
    and drain and fill a radiator -
    and it STILL isn't done -

HE is throwing in the towel - "HE knew when to fold 'um"
    Well for the most part, I didn't have tools for the first 4-5 pages of this thread. When I got tools and got the hose off I cleared that a long time ago.
    I drained AND filled the radiator. It's just every step I take, I discover 5 or 6 more things that need to be done, and I get frustrated not knowing all of the things I need to, and that book hasn't arrived yet, and I still don't have all the tools I need to power through everything.

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    Quote Originally Posted by basscatt View Post
    -------------------------------------------
    NASCAR pit crew -
    Hell, knowing us it'd be detailed to the tee also and lord knows what else we'd get our grubby mits on lol
    basscatt and MoistCabbage like this.

The Northstar water pump is all steel, no plastic impeller to wear down or crack. Extremely unlikely that a weld has failed. If it's spinning, it's pumping.

A melted pulley is a whole other story. If either the water pump or tensioner pulley locks up, the plastic drive pulley WILL melt the drive belt and itself pretty quickly.

Did you see a melted pulley next to the front valve cover, above the water pump?

Out of curiosity, what part of the country are you in?
    It was above the water pump, yea. But it was also on the tensioner right by the belt.

I'm in San Fran Bay Area, CA

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.