New to Cars in General, have a 95 Eldorado, plethora of problems - Page 11
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, New to Cars in General, have a 95 Eldorado, plethora of problems in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by Ranger Why is this so hard? Because this is literally the first car I have bought and ...
    rkeating09 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 95 Eldorado

Re: New to Cars in General, have a 95 Eldorado, plethora of problems, help?! D:

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Why is this so hard?
    Because this is literally the first car I have bought and worked on. And with all the talk about how bad it is that air gets in the system, my first thought isn't to push compressed air through it, haha.

Hollow bolt is rodded out. The line is clogged. Clear it with compressed air or a long piece of 12 gauge wire. Put it back together and let the engine purge itself.
    Thank you.

@Guy who stated, "OP must be a troll trying to sound stupid, and it's working."

Nope, I am usually rather blank minded and things don't click. I'm a visual learner. The reason this thread has gotten to 10 pages and I still don't know exactly what I am doing, is because I don't want to dig around in my car, that I am already disappointed in myself that I obtained without knowledge, and break something; cuasing this whole $3000/$3500 project to go down the drain because I simply did one thing wrong that caused 50 other things to go wrong.

However, it seems pretty straight forward on how to clean this tube. I am gonna try a couple different methods of cleaning it.

Thanks everyone, sorry for being frustrating!

----------

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    Just to clarify, did you disconnect the hose at the surge tankand blow, or you disconnect the hose at the bolt and blow?
    I disconnected the hose at the hollow bolt.

Edit:

Cleaned out the hose (lots of black/brown residue came out when I rinsed it out) After I took it off the other side thats connected to the hollowbolt, there was a bunch of gunky buildup that I took a hanger to. A little drippage came out, I put the hose on and tried to blow through again, still nada. I guess I need to get this 12 Gauge Wire and go through as much as I can, yea?

Instead of trying to blow in it: I took a bike pump to see if I could get it to fit: Fits perfectly, still not giong through, especially feeling like a straw.
    After I pumped air in there to try and push out the crud, I put the hose on and tried to blow, still.. nada.

@Moistcabbage,

Do I have the right spot?

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    So the hose that goes between the surge tank and hollow bolt, you can run water through that?

If so, which end of it are you disconnecting to blow through?

So the hose that goes between the surge tank and hollow bolt, you can run water through that?

If so, which end of it are you disconnecting to blow through?
    Yes, I can run water through that hose once its disconnected from both ends.
    I have been reconnecting it to the surge tank (open on Hollowbolt side) and blowing through that.

basscatt is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 02 DHS, 03 SLS

I'm starting to agree with Stoveguy -

NOBODY can be THIS dense -

152 posts on a purge line and coolant change - must be a new record -
    ------------------------------

look - kid -
    if you are NOT a troll -
    ALL the information you could possibly need is here -
    probably within the few posts -

go back and re-read what's been written -

if you still don't get it - take the car to a professional - and have it done -
    ---------------------
    if you ARE a troll - I COMMEND YOU -
    it's been quite a while since someone has sucked us all in this deep -

like I said - 152 posts MUST be a new - all-time record -

I'm done with it -

Quote Originally Posted by basscatt View Post
    I'm starting to agree with Stoveguy -

NOBODY can be THIS dense -

152 posts on a purge line and coolant change - must be a new record -
    ------------------------------

look - kid -
    if you are NOT a troll -
    ALL the information you could possibly need is here -
    probably within the few posts -

go back and re-read what's been written -

if you still don't get it - take the car to a professional - and have it done -
    ---------------------
    if you ARE a troll - I COMMEND YOU -
    it's been quite a while since someone has sucked us all in this deep -

like I said - 152 posts MUST be a new - all-time record -

I'm done with it -
    I think the craziest thing is:

Nobody is forcing anyone to come into this thread. I have made it well aware I am incredibly new to dealing with cars. I understand it is completely frustrating, but again, I am not making you sit down at your computer and click this thread.

Although I do recall seeing your post count and cars, and asking for your advice in this thread, I did not force you to.
    I reread the thread all the time and it is decreasing my level of intimidation as I continue learning with dealing with a Northstar.

Again, I'm open to destructive and constructive criticism, but let's not start pulling the troll card, and calling people kids because you are frustrated.

Go smoke a bowl, come back, and relax. Jeez, "gramps". Thank you for your previous input in this thread.

Anyway, it appears the only source of information is coming from Moistcabbage today, and I want to say thank you.
    Now, back to the situation at hand.

Edit. I have pumped and pumped trying to get air to go through the line to the surge tank. It's not happening. I have taken a wire hanger as far in as I possibly could, as i pull it out its grimed with grey/green gunk. I tried running the car to see if I had any liquid coming out of the hollowbolt, and none. How long does the engine have to run before liquid comes through? If it's not coming through the hollowbolt, and I can't breath through to the surge tank, is there a different clogged area?

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

If there is coolant in the engine, it should start to spit out the hollow bolt as soon as the engine is started. Try removing the purge line from the surge tank and see if you can insert a wire into the nipple. Maybe that's clogged.

I can't imagine how you are attaching a bicycle pump to the purge line.

If there is coolant in the engine, it should start to spit out the hollow bolt as soon as the engine is started. Try removing the purge line from the surge tank and see if you can insert a wire into the nipple. Maybe that's clogged.

I can't imagine how you are attaching a bicycle pump to the purge line.
    I have tried unclogging the hollowbolt and the surge tank line. Neither are having anything come out.

And it's just a quick handheld with a hole that fits right into the surge tank line. Was just incredibly lucky.

I am just going to take it to somewhere that will push all the clogs out and refill the coolant. It seems to be the last thing the car needs.

I may just end up flipping cars, learning new makes and models as I go. Buy cheap, fix up, sell high. Once I get enough money from that I am going to reside with Cadillac's for sure. My family is moving down to where I am at, so I'll have 1-2 extra helping hands when it comes to this, instead of trying to race around and do it all myself without knowing wtf a radiator is. Ha.

Again:

Thanks: Basscat, Ranger, Moistcabbage and anyone else who has helped me throughout this frustrating (moreso for you guys I am assuming) adventure. It is kind of silly that it took me 11 pages to get to where I am at, but we all gotta start somewhere!

It's a community like this forum that makes me help everyone I come across as much as I can. Should be nearing the end of this thread.

PS:

No, I am not a troll. And yes I am very thankful for all of your guys' help!
    Off to take the niece to the discovery museum, and then take my car to a shop to have them 'compress' the clogs in my system out.

(Funny story: I started making calls to get estimates,
    first store: "uhh yea, we do cadi's a little bit, what's the issue? (insert story) -- "Yea we can do that for about 55."
    second store: "allo? ahh, you bring, we do 350." /hangup)

Mechanics sure are fun to deal with.

Wait, you're trying to blow I to the surge tank? You're doing it backwards, you're supposed to be blowing into the hollow bolt.

If you couldn't blow into the surge tank, the clog may be right there at the tank nipple.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

That's why I told him top blow from the hollow bolt into the tank. When he said he could not, I said to remove the purge line from the tank and use a wire to see if the nipple was clogged. Post #157

Ah.

This thread is hard to follow, andI haven't been on all that much to begin with.

Back from the museum.

I blew into the hollow bolt, same result as blowing into the other part. Minus one small thing:

The hollowbolt accepts very little air, but the buildup comes right back out when my mouth comes off. I think takign it in and having everything pressured out will do the trick.

Also, throwing a wire hanger in as far as I could didn't do the trick.

But what about the surge tank nipple. Did you clear that out?

But what about the surge tank nipple. Did you clear that out?
    Both ends of the tube have been wired hanger'd.
    Both ends of the tube have been blown into.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.