Mysterious failure in my 2000 STS - in Spain
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Mysterious failure in my 2000 STS - in Spain in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello, I write from Spain a country with just a few Cadillacs and not experience repairing them. I bought a ...
    moses101 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Seville STS

Mysterious failure in my 2000 STS - in Spain

Hello,

I write from Spain a country with just a few Cadillacs and not experience repairing them. I bought a Seville four years ago. It worked perfectly during the first months but suddenly the gearbox started to shock. Specially when the car was hot. The official repair service said I had to replace the gearbox but I rebuilt it. I payed 2400$ but it didn't work. I let it pass but then another breakdown occurred. The car began to stop every now and then, aproximately every 70 or 80km. After a few minutes stopped it worked again for some extra km but it would keep stopping. I took it to the garage (not the official service) and they said the catalyst had to be replaced, it was collapsed. 2000$ more and it kept stopping. I came back to the garage and they said the new piece to replace was the mass air flow sensor. It didn't work either. After that, we replaced both crankshaft sensors and finally the garage thought it could be too much electricity from the alternator and they put a kind of diode to reduce the voltage.

Currently I have no more money to repair the car and I have it parked because I don't know what to do with it. The display says "Transmision service" and it doesn't work for even 10km in summer. When "something" overheats it turns the engine off. There's no problem with the water temperature nor the temperature display.

I think it will take for life to discover where's the problem because no garage is helping. It's been for two hours in the official service and they haven't found the problem. I can't afford to give them 1000$ just to find the problem.

Maybe somebody had this kind of problem before and can help me. Maybe it's just a relay that overheats and stops the gas injection. I suspect this is a breakdown that doesn't appear on the ODBC, if it was there they would had find it by now.

I look forward for your help.

Thank you very much.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

vincentm is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

Re: Mysterious failure in my 2000 Seville - STS

Dont ever take it to that shop again, they apparently don't have a clue. Start by pulling the codes, and post them along with the definitions in this thread

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...odes-dtcs.html

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

check for Diagnostic Trouble Codes -

if you don't know how - go here and read the ENTIRE post -

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...odes-dtcs.html

if you have any codes - post them here -
    ALONG WITH THEIR DEFINITIONS -

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Also check your fuel pressure.

Aztec ETC ECS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC ECS#533, '05 Escalade, '05 AWD Magnum, '74 455 OLDS

If fuel pressure is ok, could be a TCC stall. Did this start happening only after the poor trans rebuild?
    Does it stall only when stopping or randomly?

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 96 STS, 140k
    How did you find this rare caddy in Spain? I guess cars just show up at the local used car lot. At least you don't live in Norway or Sweden. It's really expensive to work on caddy there

These are the codes in my car:

ABS C1246 - Brake Lining Wear Circuit Open
    IRC B1327 History - Device Power Circuit Low
    IRC U1301 History - Class 2 Short to Battery
    IRC U1000 History - Class 2 Communication Malfunction
    IRC U1145 History - Loss Of NAV Communications
    IRC U1016 History - Loss of Class 2 Communication with VCM
    IRC U1129 History - Loss of Communications with AMP
    NAV B2463 Current - Navigation CD Player - No Disk
    NDH B1004 History - Keep Alive Memory (KAM)
    N 2474 History - Navigation Display Head (NDH) Back Lighting Malfunction
    PCM P0734 History - Incorrect 4th Gear Ratio (Before rebuilding gearbox)
    PCM P1106 History - Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) Sensor Circuit Intermittent High Voltage
    PCM P1189 History - Engine Oil Pressure (EOP) Switch Circuit
    P1599 History - Engine Stall or Near Stall Detected
    U1255 History - Class 2 Communication Malfunction
    SDM B1001 History - Option Configuration Error
    U1016 History - Passenger Deployment Loop Resistance Low
    --------------------------------
    After deleting the codes, and after the car stopped again:

ABS C1246 Current - Brake Lining Wear Circuit Open
    IRC U1016 History - Loss of Class 2 Communication with VCM
    NAV B2463 Current - Navigation CD Player - No Disk
    PCM P1599 History - Engine Stall or Near Stall Detected
    ------------------------------

I suspect the reason that stops the engine won't appear here. In fat, if the mechanic that tried to fix it (using a diagnosis machine) didn't find it I don't think I will.

Thanks for your help.

----------
    Aztec....: If fuel pressure is ok, could be a TCC stall. Did this start happening only after the poor trans rebuild?
    Does it stall only when stopping or randomly?

No, happened a few times before and much more after.
    The stall is random

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Also check your fuel pressure.
    How?

Re: Mysterious failure in my 2000 STS - in Spain

Connect a fuel pressure gauge to the service port (#566) on the fuel rail.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Fuel pressure ............. remove the engine cover - two soft plastic 13mm black cap nuts. This will expose the fuel rail and injectors. Looking from over the radiator, there's a black cap like a tire valve cap - on the left rear corner of the fuel rail. This cap covers a fuel pressure test port - exactly the same valve as a tire valve - you attach a fuel pressure gauge and hose to ths port. many shops have the test gauge - they are used on all fuel injection systems. Our injection systems are built by Robert Bosch, so you should have little trouble finding a test set.

Normal fuel pressure at key turnon is abot 40 psi. Running at idle it must be 41 - 47 psi.

On the right rear of the fuel rail is a domed fuel pressure regulator, connected to the vacuum side of the throttlebody. With the engine idling there must be NO FUEL dripping from the disconnected regulator nipple.

You might do some study on IAC (Idle Air Control) cleaning. Google search "cadillac forums 2000 northstar idle air control cleaning" for info. Or, look through the pages of Discussions, Item Specific; Cadillac Tech Tips for several "How-To" articles on the subject.

Also, make very sure that there are NO possible air leaks in the flexible air intake ducting all the way from the air filter adapter to the throtlebody. That kidney-shaped resonator stuck in the top of the air intake flex line sometimes works loose, and because it is an air leak after the divorced MAF sensor (Mass AirFlow) it will cause a slow speed stall.

(Mornin', Ranger - We both hit the Submit button at the same time .........)

moses101, Now you see the fuel pressure test port and the pressure regulator.

Thanks submarine and ranger. Today, a mechanic suggested that could be an issue that doesn't appears in the ODBC codes, and he is pretty sure it is the fuel pump filter.

vincentm is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    Quote Originally Posted by moses101 View Post
    Thanks submarine and ranger. Today, a mechanic suggested that could be an issue that doesn't appears in the ODBC codes, and he is pretty sure it is the fuel pump filter.
    Doubt its the filter. Do the fuel pressure regulator test first. Then replace if its leaky.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

There are TWO filters in our fuel systems - a primary screen attached to the bottom of the pump module (access hatch in the trunk floor) and a removable filter can under the left rear driver's side frame rail.

Unless your gasoline is of very poor quality in Spain (I know that Italian gasoline is pure junk) there should be no reason to replace either filter - they last for 100,000 miles and more here in the U.S..

Try to have the mechanic use a fuel pressure test gauge to find out if the posted fuel pressures are in fact correct in your car.

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    Try to have the mechanic use a fuel pressure test gauge to find out if the posted fuel pressures are in fact correct in your car.
    And if the pressure is incorrect .. What should I do? Does changing the fuel pump?

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    If the pressure is low, the pump is failing.

99 out of 100 times low fuel pressure is a failing pump as MC said. It is possible that it could be a clogged filter, but for that to be the case you'd have to have some really, really shitty gas, and if it where that bad, most likely the in tank sock filter would probably be clogged as well and would thus require a tank drop and pump removal anyway.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.