Mysterious failure in my 2000 STS - in Spain - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Mysterious failure in my 2000 STS - in Spain in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have a question: the fuel pump works forced by the dirty filter, but only produces car stop at random. ...
    moses101 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Seville STS

Re: Mysterious failure in my 2000 STS - in Spain

I have a question: the fuel pump works forced by the dirty filter, but only produces car stop at random. So if I measure the pressure when operating the fuel pump, the pressure will be normal. I should look at the pressure in the five or ten minutes it stops working before returning to work again.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

That will prove nothing - IF there is a tiny leak in the fuel pressure regulator and/or a slightly sticky fuel injector the fuel rail pressure will bleed off rapidly. It takes less than 1/2 ounce of fuel return or leakage to completely de-pressurize the fuel system. If the fuel pressure jumps to 40 psi at Key: ON then you can assume that the filter(s) are good - if the system maintains the specified 41 - 47 psi running at idle, then your stalls are a different problem unless there is some intermittent fuel pump shutdown fault or a bad electrical connection.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I have seen old ailing fuel pumps fail intermittently. Not real common, but can't be ruled out. The only way to really test it is to use a fuel pressure gauge with a long hose and tape it to the windshield. Then watch the pressure when the engine quits to see it is pressure related.

Mark C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Seville STS, 2000 Seville STS

Also look for crushed fuel lines, the pump might be able to build enough pressure at idle, but with a crushed fuel line it may not be able to supply enough volume of fuel to keep the engine running. If it stalls following a run on the highway and is hard to restart (requiring more than a couple of seconds of cranking the eninge), that would be a good guess, assuming its not crank sensors.

98eldo32v is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 eldo/KD54 w/N37,T96,QA1,D55,DS3,U1Z. U3R next

Moses101,

If you have "Service Transmission" on your display. You have bigger problems than fuel.......

Start looking for a transmission......

Quote Originally Posted by 98eldo32v View Post
    Moses101,

If you have "Service Transmission" on your display. You have bigger problems than fuel.......

Start looking for a transmission......
    In Barcelona Cadillac dealer made ​​me a budget of $ 9,000 to change the gearbox. (a reconstructed one!!). In an unofficial workshop rebuilt for $ 2400, but the mechanics of my country do not know how to program the gearbox properly once fixed, and therefore appears on the screen Transmission Service.
    Anyway, I can drive with a gearbox that makes noise, but I can not drive with a fuel pump intermittently failing and causing the car stops. .

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 03 STS
    You can clear serv trans message. And you cannot drive forever with trans noise. At some time, trans will fail and you will no longer move. That's why cars are sitting on side of road. Broken.

Unfortunately, if any repair shop can give me a solution to my problem with the gearbox, I have only one option: sell the car ... who wants a broken down car? All my car faults appear and disappear as if by magic. I can do 500 miles without problems and suddenly be stopping every ten miles. I'm excited to have a Cadillac, but it's hard to have it in my country. The mechanics look at it as a rare thing and I'm not mechanical. So, I'm writing in this forum. I went to the shop and asked him to look up the pressure and asked: "Do you know which one is the pressure should be?". Ha, ha, what a professional.

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 03 STS
    So it works today. Can you sell it today before it acts up again? Would you tell buyer it has issues?

98eldo32v is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 eldo/KD54 w/N37,T96,QA1,D55,DS3,U1Z. U3R next

Well,

Unless to can arrange for shipping of a used transmission, (which is still a roll of the dice) to your country and then have someone reputable install it, you and that car are on borrowed time.

The "service transmission" message is NOT a message I would wish on anyone. I don't like transmission issues, that's whay when you have one that functions, service it when scheduled.

Good luck my friend.....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.