99 STS trans fluid
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 99 STS trans fluid in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello everyone. Well, I'm no longer an eldorado owner. I've stepped up a bit to a 99 Seville. Just bought ...
    93 el is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1993 eldorado

99 STS trans fluid

Hello everyone. Well, I'm no longer an eldorado owner. I've stepped up a bit to a 99 Seville. Just bought it and found the trans fluid to be worn. It's not its usual bright red color and almost seems thin. It's got 121,k miles and trans life indicator is at 100% (imagine that). Should I get the fluid and filter changed anyway? I know its a dumb question, but I've been told that changing the fluid that high and bringing in new fluid will cause tranny problems sooner. So, I'm here asking the greats because I'm not a mechanic and transmissions are far out of my realm.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: 99 STS trans fluid

Spend the money at either a GM dealer or a good transmission shop and ask for a transmission fluid exchange to the new (2006) DEXRON-VI - it is 100% backwards-compatible with the obsolete DEXRON-III that came in our cars. I did my 2002 in 2007 and nary a problem.

Remember that the 4T80E is a dry sump transmission - there will be NO FLUID on the stick with the engine OFF. Check/adjust level with the engine hot (> 10 mile drive) idling in P on a level surface.

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 03 STS

easy to check level with motor running. you remove fill port cover and look in. you can see fluid level in port. your car is 14yrs old. it could use dex6 but it will work fine with dex3 which is still easy to find. unless you go to dealer.

EcSTSatic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS - diamond white

I bought my new pan gasket and Dex VI. I just need to set some time aside to drain and fill mine. There's a drain plug on the valve body that needs to be removed too according to the service manual.

^^^ You'll be able to change just about half of the fluid with a pan drop/side tank drain - 7 or 8 quarts.

You can exchange about 13+ (of the 15) quarts by doing the upper cooler line pumpout method.

What brand of dex6 did u get?

If it's labeled "DEXRON-VIŽ" it's licensed by GM (read the fine print) - all the same fluid.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Should I get the fluid and filter changed anyway?
    There is not filter to change. Just 2 cleanable and reusable screens. Likewise the gasket is reusable.

Personally I'd drop the pan so as to clean the magnets and any other debris that may be in there. Start the engine while the pan is down to pump out most of the rest of the old fluid (might get messy). Button it up and refill.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by stoveguyy View Post
    What brand of dex6 did u get?
    I used Walmart Supertech Dexron VI. Half the price of the others.

Hmm, wmdex6 is 4.50/qt wm has good amount of trans fluid. But I do not recall seeing any other brand dex6 stuff there. I saw valvoline max life dex3 stuff but no dex6 anything

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I forgot where I priced the other brands of Dexron VI. Maybe AZ or Farm & Fleet? At any rate, they where MUCH higher than Walmarts SuperTech.

oil changes cost 80 each yr and a trans fluid swap might cost 40 which you may do every 3-4 yrs. kids vue uses t-4 toyo fluid which is 5 at toyo garage or 16 at gm garage. yep, 64 per gal at gm. u would think it was bottled french water. Or royal purple

EcSTSatic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS - diamond white

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    ^^^ You'll be able to change just about half of the fluid with a pan drop/side tank drain - 7 or 8 quarts.

You can exchange about 13+ (of the 15) quarts by doing the upper cooler line pumpout method.
    That's my plan. I hope to get to it this weekend. Valvoline Dexron VI - $8/qt
    Right now the A/C isn't cooling so I need to put the gauges on her. Can't complain though for a '99 that has never had any cooling problems 'til now.

93 el is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1993 eldorado

Wow! I've been busy all day. I come and there's 11 posts! Thanks for answering and discussing here; I've learned a bit by reading what's been said so far. I think I'm going to price fluid tomorrow here locally. Do I need a specific solution for the screens shoukder I decide to do it myself? What are the advantages of dex 6 compared to dex 3? If I go with dex 6, should I just have the dealer do a complete fluid swap?

----------

*should I decide to do it myself

is price a big deal? amsoil is 11/qt. royal purple is 15. valvoline dex3 is 5. i think dealer dex6 is 9. a 2005 car has dex6. it needs dex6. your car was built with dex3. many say its ok to continue to use dex3 if you want or pay double and use dex6. it wont shift better. the most praise i hear is it wont shift worse. thats pretty damn faint praise.

As in engine oil and coolant, DEXRON-VI is the latest and greatest in transmission fluid formulation. It has replaced the obsolete -III in the GM lineup and has been used since 2006.

Is it necessary ? NO. There is a lot of -III left in the world. Is it now recommended by GM for all their cars ? YES.

Price means nothing - if the label says something to the effect of "licensed by GM" or "DEXRON-VIŽ" then use it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.