weird intermintted overheating problem?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, weird intermintted overheating problem? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have a 92 seville which runs good, but the temp. reaches 250+ than sometimes if i rev the engine ...
    jfinnkma91 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

weird intermintted overheating problem?

I have a 92 seville which runs good, but the temp. reaches 250+ than sometimes if i rev the engine it goes back down, sometimes that doesnt help. it never stays that hot long. even driving on the highway the temp will rise then i step on the gas it goes back down to 196, then it stays there for a little! than sometimes it rises back up.

ALSO i noticed when i turn my car off when i get home, even if the temp says 196 i can here the overflow bubbling?

im dumbfounded. I replaced raditator, overflow, tstat, hoses, raditator cap (twice)

yes my fans come on. No my coolant level isnt low. ive burped the system, the rad is full all the time. i dont run the a/c any ideals?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Mafiaman111 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Eldorado 176000 miles Black on Black

Re: weird intermintted overheating problem?

I would like to know that answer too, we had a 1992 Deville do the same thing and never figured it out

flacko93 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Use any coolant? Do a block test for combusrion gases in coolant.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Sounds like a bad HG to me.

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

Those 4.9 are known for water pump issues, actually are mostly known for the amount of work involved.

GermnDvr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I have a 93 eldorado and I too have been fighting overheating. Phoenix Az where the temperature outside gets close to boiling outside is no place for this kind of problem. After three head gaskets and changing everything in the cooling system, I found two things the finally cured my problem. The lower radiator hose had no spring in it and would collapse when the water temp came up. Make sure there is a metal spring in that hose. Second and even more important, I added a second transmission cooler in series with the OE cooler. This made a major difference for less than 50 dollars. good luck let me know if this helps you

eldorado_sean is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 98' Eldorado ESC
    Quote Originally Posted by GermnDvr View Post
    I have a 93 eldorado and I too have been fighting overheating. Phoenix Az where the temperature outside gets close to boiling outside is no place for this kind of problem. After three head gaskets and changing everything in the cooling system, I found two things the finally cured my problem. The lower radiator hose had no spring in it and would collapse when the water temp came up. Make sure there is a metal spring in that hose. Second and even more important, I added a second transmission cooler in series with the OE cooler. This made a major difference for less than 50 dollars. good luck let me know if this helps you
    3 head gaskets!!?? Holy crap! Must have been a fortune

----------

And yeah do a block test

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Quote Originally Posted by GermnDvr
    After three head gaskets
    On how many engines? Thread repair can't be done 3 times on 1 block. Or was the problem that no thread repair was done?

The lower radiator hose had no spring in it and would collapse when the water temp came up.
    I'm not sure if the original hose had a coil in it to begin with, but cooling system pressure INCREASES as temperature rises, so the hose would not collapse.

Second and even more important, I added a second transmission cooler in series with the OE cooler.
    There is no need for additional trans fluid coolers, and that would make no difference in engine cooling performance, unless the transmission was WAAAY overheated.

All I can tell you is the trany cooler was a big factor in keeping my car cool. The radiator has a cooler in it as well, when the temp would get up to 226+ degrees the fans would come on and could not overcome the temperature. The trany cooler made a big difference.. Believe me I too tried every possible remedy. Don't tell me what doesn't work tell me what does.

Did you check for a clogged purge line?

in a 4.9 ?

You didn't specify base or ETC.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

MC is right. Sounds like you inadvertently band aided the problem somehow.

I too am amazed that you changed HG's 3 times on a 4.9 (the most reliable engine Cadillac ever made). Once is almost unheard of. That only adds to my suspicions.

Have you changed the radiator cap? That cheap simple part could be your entire problem.

That said, we are hijacking this thread from jfinnkma91.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.