antenna repair
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, antenna repair in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; A while back I read a post about repairing a power antenna. It described using the plastic line from a ...
    philthy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

antenna repair

A while back I read a post about repairing a power antenna. It described using the plastic line from a string trimmer to replace the nylon cable inside the antenna motor that raises and lowers the antenna mast. The cable in mine is broken and I want to make the same repair, but can not find the post. I tried searches using all kinds of different keywords with no luck. I am 99.9% sure it was on this forum board. Can anyone help?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: antenna repair

I remember the post but don't remember where it was. I just fixed mine a few months ago. I got the kit from http://www.antennamastsrus.com for $50. Other have said that the dealers have the kit for $15. I called every GM dealer in the area to no avail. Check around before you call anntenamastrus. THe instructions in the kit are right out of the factory service manual. Follow them to the tee.

91TexasSeville is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX-V8, 1991 Eldorado

Quote Originally Posted by philthy
    A while back I read a post about repairing a power antenna. It described using the plastic line from a string trimmer to replace the nylon cable inside the antenna motor that raises and lowers the antenna mast. The cable in mine is broken and I want to make the same repair, but can not find the post. I tried searches using all kinds of different keywords with no luck. I am 99.9% sure it was on this forum board. Can anyone help?
    Ranger is right!

Every OEM repair kit that I have seen is $49.95 USD for the mast and cable assembly. I purchased a GM refurbished antenna from eBay for $60. No real savings other than, I now have a spare antenna to repair. Be careful with aftermarket power antenna's, most do not have the same antenna lead adapter as the Cadillac (RCA Female or RCA Male). Most aftermarket antenna utilize a nutted adapter similar to a cable televison connector.

If you happen to find a Cadillac antenna in a salvage yard in the lowered position, meaning fully retracted, it may still be good, but for how long? Fishing line, or monofilament string trimmer will not work for long, read below.

On my Seville, I took the antenna apart to find that the monofilament cable had separated from the metal anchor which connects to the spool. I used a heat gun to bend the monofilament cable to the same shape as the metal anchor then reassembled. It worked great until we had a light frost. The monofilament cable broke again at the spool leaving the antenna half raised. That was the time I started looking for the OEM repair kit or another antenna.

The FSM (Factory Service Manual) provides step by step instructions for disassembly and repair of the power antenna mast assembly.

montano is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Ur7x is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 02 STS

GM Direct even cheaper...

Page 1: 1-1 of 1 items

GM PART # 22038184
    CATEGORY: All
    PACK QTY: 1CORE CHARGE: $0.00
    GM LIST: $15.50
    OUR PRICE: $7.75DESCRIPTION: CABLE

NOTE: GMPartsDirect.com carries 380,000 GM parts. Due to the number of parts available, the part you are searching for may not appear in these results. Please use our Customer Service page if you need help locating a GM part. Canít find a part?^ Back to Top ^

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by Ur7x
    GM Direct even cheaper...

Page 1: 1-1 of 1 items

GM PART # 22038184
    CATEGORY: All
    PACK QTY: 1CORE CHARGE: $0.00
    GM LIST: $15.50
    OUR PRICE: $7.75DESCRIPTION: CABLE

NOTE: GMPartsDirect.com carries 380,000 GM parts. Due to the number of parts available, the part you are searching for may not appear in these results. Please use our Customer Service page if you need help locating a GM part. Canít find a part?^ Back to Top ^
    Boy, did I get screwed! I guess I should have done a little more research.

Silverio is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 78 Eldorado

I also read to use clothesline with the metal wire inside. Removing the previous material up inside the antenna, gluing in the wire reinforced clothesline with JB Weld. Eventually attaching the other end as described in other posts. Note: if the hole to pass through is too tight, simply drill it out so new line easily passes through. Add some grease to ensure smooth operation.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.