Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  SevilleSTSJerome 
#1 ·
I have a 96 STS which will not start.......I drove the car two days before and had no problems at all. I went out to start it up on the third day and it wouldn’t turn over at all. I have full power in the car...lights, radio everything else works but the car will not turn over at all. The lights are bright so I know the battery is good. I have tried before to bring up the codes but on the 96 and 97 STS it’s different then the 92 - 95 STS and it just won’t work for me....guess I might need a Tech2 tool to hook up to the car. Does anyone know what else I can check on the car? My guess it’s the starter that has gone bad.....on the old cars you could get under the car and tap the starter with a hammer or something and sometime it would turn over but with the northstar that’s just not happening. HELP:hmm:

#2 ·
my 95 does the same thing from time to time,try this open the trunk and tap on the back trunk panlel just behind the back seat.the alarm,keyless box is back there and it worked for me.i still have not ironed out the problem,but i belive its some how realeated to that.please post if that works.also check the fuse block inside the trunk[left side]make sure all fuses are tight and that the block is tight also.

#3 ·
If it has double positive cables take them off and clean them well, especially where they contact. Then make sure the bolt is putting tension on them. I have one that lost tension from the corrosion on the cables causing a small decrease in thickness. The bolt was bottoming in the battery (could be the battery terminal threads not as deep too).

#5 ·
Thanks guys very much for the information.....I won't get a chance to try anything until this weekend and at that time I will post the results....If anybody can think of something else I might try before the weekend PLEASE post it and let me know.:excited: By the way the car also has 170k on it.....and it's still running strong.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.