1997 seville ac compressor switch (where?)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 1997 seville ac compressor switch (where?) in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; 257,700 miles. Changed the heater core over the weekend. Pretty sure I reconnected everything. Now I got the "low refrigerant" ...
    danalex is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 seville sls

1997 seville ac compressor switch (where?)

257,700 miles. Changed the heater core over the weekend. Pretty sure I reconnected everything.
    Now I got the "low refrigerant" "ac compressor off" error on the dash computer. Can't add Freon since the compressor won't come on.
    Ran code checker...only one code (evap related...been there for over 100K miles); cleared it (again).
    No codes now.
    Computer shows compressor still OFF.
    Unplugged what I believe is the ac compressor switch (along the ac tube going towards the fire-wall). Put a paper-clip across the "male" sensor tips--the compressor still not kicking in. (haven't tried to insert paperclip into the "female" portion. ((NOTE: I'M NOT 100% SURE THAT'S THE PRESSURE SWITCH--IS IT?

Believe a new/used compressor replacement and installation will cost more than KBB value. ((good car tho'...daily driver...70miles round-trip to/from work daily))

Any help? Just want to get Freon back to correct level.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    You need to jump the harness, not the sensor itself.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: 1997 seville ac compressor switch (where?)

You should be able to enable the compressor by clearing the codes, but you need to have the refrigerant can hooked up, open and ready to go so that it draws in refrigerant before the low pressure switch trips again.

http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/Page_Pro...049&SortKey=28

Aztec ETC ECS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC ECS#533, '05 Escalade, '05 AWD Magnum, '74 455 OLDS

No ACM codes? I never needed to jump anything in these cars. Just clear the AC codes, not PCM. With that message, there should definitely be a code. When cleared, it should stay on long enough to charge.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    you need to have the refrigerant can hooked up, open and ready to go so that it draws in refrigerant before the low pressure switch trips again.
    I forgot this part & I need to type faster. ^

basscatt is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

can WE assume you have evacuated the AC system -
    and it is sitting at 29" of vacuum - or close to it -

OR it was - and you already put in 1 can of freon so far?

----------------------------------

follow both Ranger's and Aztech's advice -

like Aztech - I never had to "jumper" the LOW pressure switch -
    to add freon - IF you follow Ranger's instructions -

if you can't clear the AC code -
    try removing BOTH battery cables - and touch them together -
    that should clear all codes -

quote:
    RESPONSE: I DON'T UNDERSTAND "JUMP THE HARNESS"

quote:
    You should be able to enable the compressor by clearing the codes, but you need to have the refrigerant can hooked up, open and ready to go so that it draws in refrigerant before the low pressure switch trips again.
    RESPONSE: (A) Used a code reader to erase/clear the codes. (B) Can is hooked up; "lever" is squeezed (with Velcro-strap); can is connected to low-side. COMPRESSOR DID NOT KICK ON.

quote:
    Clear the AC codes, not the PCM
    RESPONSE: Used a code reader to clear ALL the codes...code reader didn't give any AC codes (assume "AC" = air cond...but regardless, zero codes on the code reader)

Regarding the system evac stuff....I'm not a/c savvy, so I haven't evac'd anything..
    To restate, the a/c was blowing gradually less cool air, until finally only have ambient air temp blowing. Got the low refrigerant on dash computer, plus "compressor off" on the dash computer.
    RANGER: THANKS FOR THE DIAGRAM--CONFIRMS I LOCATED THE COMPRESSOR CUT OFF SWITCH/CONNECTOR. NOT SURE HOW TO "JUMPER" THE SYSTEM TO GET THE COMPRESSOR TO COME ON THO'.

quote: Remove both battery cables and touch them together...
    RESPONSE: REALLY??? ((I hate electricity...have wife with 911 on speed dial just in case when I tried to use the paper-clip across the sensor....)) If my code reader shows all the codes clear, wondering if that will clear anything else in order to get the compressor to kick on....?

|

basscatt is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

[QUOTE=danalex;10473073]quote:
    RESPONSE: I DON'T UNDERSTAND "JUMP THE HARNESS"

quote:
    RESPONSE: (A) Used a code reader to erase/clear the codes. (B) Can is hooked up; "lever" is squeezed (with Velcro-strap); can is connected to low-side. COMPRESSOR DID NOT KICK ON.

quote:
    Clear the AC codes, not the PCM
    RESPONSE: Used a code reader to clear ALL the codes...code reader didn't give any AC codes (assume "AC" = air cond...but regardless, zero codes on the code reader)

Regarding the system evac stuff....I'm not a/c savvy, so I haven't evac'd anything..
    To restate, the a/c was blowing gradually less cool air, until finally only have ambient air temp blowing. Got the low refrigerant on dash computer, plus "compressor off" on the dash computer.
    RANGER: THANKS FOR THE DIAGRAM--CONFIRMS I LOCATED THE COMPRESSOR CUT OFF SWITCH/CONNECTOR. NOT SURE HOW TO "JUMPER" THE SYSTEM TO GET THE COMPRESSOR TO COME ON THO'.

quote: Remove both battery cables and touch them together...
    RESPONSE: REALLY??? ((I hate electricity...have wife with 911 on speed dial just in case when I tried to use the paper-clip across the sensor....)) If my code reader shows all the codes clear, wondering if that will clear anything else in order to get the compressor to kick on....
    ---------------------
    FIRST - your car has a built in code-reader -
    BETTER than the hand-held type -

go here and read the ENTIRE post -

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...odes-dtcs.html

if you have any codes - post them here -
    ALONG WITH THEIR DEFINITIONS -
    -----------------------------

Regarding the system evac stuff....
    I'm not a/c savvy, so I haven't evac'd anything..
    To restate, the a/c was blowing gradually less cool air,
    until finally only have ambient air temp blowing.

when you replaced the heater core -
    did you disconnect the AC lines - and let the freon out?

Ref the "heater core" and "disconnect the AC lines"-- RESPONSE: No, didn't disconnect the AC lines..just the two hoses that run to the heater core.

Ref the "built in code reader"--THANKS! FOUND THE ISSUE USING THE BUILT IN READER. (why'd I pay a hundred dollars for that handheld??? )

Actually, I googled-to-death my issue; finally found a thread elsewhere (http://www.all-parts.com/repairs/Cadillac_Seville.html) and read it thoroughly to understand the on-board computer. After reading, then ran the onboard computer and found ACM codes--cleared them. ((didn't touch the others...I figure, hey, the car has run fine for 257K miles, why mess with codes...))
    After clearing the ACM codes, I exited the computer; turned the car on, and heard the A/C compressor click on!!!! I darted out to squeeze the Freon-trigger, and instantly felt the can go COLD as the system began to suck in Freon---YEAH!!! I had one of those extra-large cans, so I shook it and swiveled it until empty (over 10 mins). A/c lines are swetting and inside air is COLD again.

THANKS TO ALL!!

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

These cars have the built in code reader that does allot more than just reading/resetting codes (clearly better than a expensive aftermarket code reader).
    But yeah all you need to do is reset the low refrigerant code and the PCM will enable the compressor for a short time just enough to give you the chance to add refrigerant.

However changing the heater core should have nothing (I mean really, really nothing) to do with the AC Compressor. You may have a leak and this is a coincidence (unless you knocked the lines and you made a leak in the process). Bottom line these things don't fix just by themselves, sooner or later the message will come back. I would use a die in the next charge.

Quote Originally Posted by N*Caddy View Post
    However changing the heater core should have nothing (I mean really, really nothing) to do with the AC (Evaporator)
    Yeah. Not in this car, anyway.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

(why'd I pay a hundred dollars for that handheld??? )
    Kind of figured that was your problem. It'll come in handy if you have other cars. Cadillac is the only one with it's own onboard diagnostics read out and clearing capability.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.