Stereo swap from 96 SLS to 99 Eldorado + my findings after 8 hrs. - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Stereo swap from 96 SLS to 99 Eldorado + my findings after 8 hrs. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; The BOSE cars had the enclosure (and just one speaker) the non BOSE cars did not had the enclosure (or ...
    N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

Re: Stereo swap from 96 SLS to 99 Eldorado + my findings after 8 hrs.

The BOSE cars had the enclosure (and just one speaker) the non BOSE cars did not had the enclosure (or the amplifiers) and had in addition to the speaker a tweeter. We are talking front doors.
    In the rear the difference was the amplifier mounted on the speaker. Both BOSE and base speakers were 6x9, but the BOSE are a heavier build.

Here are the front BOSE speakers (and enclosures) for Seville:

Eldorado had different enclosures but same speakers and amplifier (inside the enclosure):

These are the base front speakers (both Seville and Eldorado had the same assembly), no amplifier but extra tweeter:

Rear speakers (6x9) for non-BOSE cars had NO AMPLIFIER and were covered with the mesh show below:

This is the back of the base speaker (as seen from the trunk), note NO amplifier

This is the BOSE (6x9) rear speaker (note no cover):

This is the back of the BOSE speaker (note the amplifier) and the different construction:

This is the BOSE system diagram:

This is the base sound system diagram:

More about it here

This is available for ALL '96-'97 Seville and '96-'02 Eldorado.
    98eldo32v likes this.

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 96 STS, 140k
    I must be confused. Maybe since most junk cars have missing radios, I am only thinking I see a Bose speaker in a nonbose car. But I do see a lot of cars with hu installed and have looked at many door speakers so it's is possible I got crossed up

Lifer is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac STS 1SG, 2001 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

When a car hits the junk yards, especially the pick and pull type, the FIRST thing that goes is the radio and speakers. The young people want sound, not Varoom. I roamed one pick and pull in south Dallas (large Latino population) and never saw one radio or speaker.

98eldo32v is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 eldo/KD54 w/N37,T96,QA1,D55,DS3,U1Z. U3R next

Not to Hi jack the thread, .

I do have a question for N*Caddy.

I want to replace my NON bose HU with single cd in the unit with a NON BOSE single cd unit with RDS. Is this possible without triggering the theft lock?

The unit was manufactured 6/01/98. Part Num. 16266916. Rds without Bose is a hard unit to find. I found a clean unit though.

I've already installed the cd changer in the glove box, I'd like to install this without issues.

The vehicle is my 00 deville, Vin Y motor

Thanks

Anything you swap '98+ WILL require the VIN clear procedure.
    I am not familiar with the non BOSE in-Dash CD (no tape) HU, only saw it in pictures, not sure if it will work (depends if it uses an external amplifier or not, if no amplifier it will work).

dou1t2 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 96 Seville SLS and 99 Eldorado ESC,also 91 F-150 and a 73 MG

So I need a base HU from a 96 or 97 Seville, Eldo or maybe a Deville as I understand it. I also understand a 98-99 could work, but I'd prefer the earlier model so as to not have to spend $50 extra. Anybody have one for sale? I also am now in the Seattle area through the weekend, does anyone know of any pick a part yards that would reccommend? Thanks to all for the help.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    I'm not sure which years will work with your car, but regardless, the replacement will have to be programmed with your VIN before it will function.

NO!!!!!!
    '96 and '97 HU will NOT require any programming and is 100% compatible with '98+ vehicles.
    The Theftlock feature is part of the HU.
    Like I said all '96+ vehicles support the command on the data line to READ VIN (IPC is the module responding to the command in Eldorado and up to '97 Seville, the DIM is the module responding to this command for the '98+ Seville).
    The theftlocked HUs simply request on the databus at startup the VIN. Depending on whatever yeat/model the DIM or the IPC will reply with the VIN. The HU will receive the reply and just compare with the one stored in its memory. If is a match will start if is not a match will display “Theftlock Enabled” message and post the Theftlock code. Will not prevent the car from starting or anything.
    In the '96 and '97 vehicles the HU simply does not request the VIN at startup (but if it would request the reply will be provided).
    In the '98+ vehicles the HU does requires the VIN and obviously the reply is received.

So installing a '96-'97 HU in a '98+ vehicle would be absolutely no issue, the HU just does not request the VIN.
    Also installing a '98+ HU in a '96-'97 vehicle is also not a problem, the HU will require the VIN and the vehicle will reply back as it supports the command.
    For example the non-NAV HU uses an analog (discrete) signal for the button/display illumination intensity. The NAV unit does not have this wire anymore, is reading the intensity of the backlight from the data bus. All '96 and up vehicles broadcast the information on the data bus, just that is not used bay any module. Is exactly the same principle.

Bottom line a '96 and '97 HU can be installed in ANY '96 - '03 vehicle with no need to do the VIN clear procedure (for '02+ Vehicle the CD changer needs to be replaced with the previous generation and the data wire from the CD changer must be changed but that's about IT). Oh, also the ‘02+ vehicles with satellite radio will loose the option (‘96-’02 HUs can’t communicate with the satellite radio module).

Quote Originally Posted by N*Caddy View Post
    Now if you have a '98+ vehicle with base sound system and you want to install another OEM HU, you can use ANY (late) '96+ HU and since between '96-'97 base HU and '98+ there is absolutely no difference other than the Theftlock feature, well if you don't care about it in order to save ~$50 you can use a '96 or '97 HU only.

Hope this was not confusing, is actually very simple once you get it.
    OK, I really like all the info I receive from everyone. MC and N*, I believe everything I' ve read up until now. It seems there is a difference of opinion between MC's last post and N*'s quote, so now I'm confused........................

----------

I gotta say N* WINS! As I was replying to MC. N* jumped all over it and confirmed what I believed or understood. So, MC is messin' with me or has a single malt in his hand!! Thanks to both of you! Gotta love this site! My GF is startin' to get jealous!

Sorry, I had '99 stuck on my head. I was confusing you with another member attempting a HU swap.

I believe you are referring to the member attempting to install the '99 BOSE HU in a late '80's Eldorado.
    Believe it or not is very possible, but not for anybody, it requires a deep understanding of the system.

Yup, that's the one.

Possible and "worth it" are two very different things .

Thai's cool and a good answer! so I now would like to know what thread that is , as we may learn from each other's. PLZ!
    no comment on the scotch? I know of a member who at times makes reference to that and cigars. As well as posting pic's, maybe I'm mistaken..................... I love Glenfiddich neat!

I believe you're referring to sub (submariner 409).

As for the other thread, here it is:
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...dio-color.html

You're not going to get too much useful information.

He's trying to install an HU that will not work in his car without some fairly involved electrical work and interior disassembly. It would also require parts from the donor car, and the HU won't even physically mount in the stock location without customization, and a custom bezel. On top of that, the speakers and sub that the newer HU/system is meant to power are not present in the older car, and the speakers that go with the newer system will not mount in the older car without modification.

Essentially, a WHOLE lot of work for nothing, as an after market system would be much easier to install, and could potentially sound better.

MC, you are correct! It is Sub. I read a lot of his submissions also. Sorry for the mix up. I read more than I post, so I don't come off as d*&^b as others. But I believe in those trying to learn, even if they can't spell d"&^b!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.