Low compression in cyl 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Low compression in cyl 3 in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have a '96 STS with 448,000+ original miles on it. Cyl. no.3 has been diagnosed with too low of ...
    sts777 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): "96 STS Black

Low compression in cyl 3

I have a '96 STS with 448,000+ original miles on it. Cyl. no.3 has been diagnosed with too low of compression for ignition at idle. The engine runs fine at highway speeds. Any solutions out there....I guess I maybe looking at engine replacement...did try 44k seemed to work for awhile. And yes..I know I have gotten my money's worth out of the motor!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Low compression in cyl 3

The low compression is the least of your engine's worries - time to do a total top-to-bottom overhaul. EVERYTHING - no old parts.

Better to do the job on a seasoned known strong block and heads than take a chance on a questionable reman.

What's "44K" ?? Snake oil ??

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 96 STS, 140k
    What does underside of car look like after 450k miles? Do you live in rust belt?

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Mileage isn't going to make a difference in what the underside of the car looks like, unless he drives on unpaved roads.

He's in Colorado.

jake99seville is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 seville sls
    I can't believe he got 450k on it...
    How much did he pay foe upkeep???

That much out of the engine is only slightly impressive. But how many times has every chassis wear item been replaced?

Aztec ETC ECS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC ECS#533, '05 Escalade, '05 AWD Magnum, '74 455 OLDS

Quote Originally Posted by sts777 View Post
    I have a '96 STS with 448,000+ original miles on it. Cyl. no.3 has been diagnosed with too low of compression for ignition at idle. The engine runs fine at highway speeds. Any solutions out there....I guess I maybe looking at engine replacement...did try 44k seemed to work for awhile. And yes..I know I have gotten my money's worth out of the motor!
    Money's worth? Solutions? Really?
    Are there lot's of tender memories attached to this car or do you want to be the first to turn over a 6 digit odometer?

find a $100 junkyard motor with bad heads. easy. probably has 100k miles. fix heads, install. why overhaul a motor for a super high miles car? trans will die in the next week. dash will say 500k, but motor will have 100k. nice

Aztec ETC ECS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC ECS#533, '05 Escalade, '05 AWD Magnum, '74 455 OLDS

Am I missing something here?!

Can OP define replacement? Overhaul? A different remaned motor? Used?

sts777 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): "96 STS Black

In reply to all inquiries about my STS...it sweats a little oil...BG 44k fuel system cleaner is one of the best fuel additives out there...it is not "snake oil" and it works very well....most all chassis parts have lasted to the 400k mark...and tranny went to 377k...still on original cv boots/joints...maintenance has been meticulous....and kept on the highway. I do use a "thicker" oil than the 10w30 like 10 or 15w40. Best car ever owned made by the best: Cadillac!

Quote Originally Posted by sts777
    In reply to all inquiries about my STS...it sweats a little oil...BG 44k fuel system cleaner is one of the best fuel additives out there...it is not "snake oil" and it works very well....
    Never heard of it before today, and AFAIK, it's not endorced or recommended by any automobile or engine manufacturers. It's advertised to increase fuel economy and reduce exhaust emissions... It's snake oil.

But anyway..... Very impressive how long some of the parts have lasted. You must drive 20 MPH on glass . Any pictures of the car?

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

It looks like the stuff sells online for around $19 - $24 an 11 oz. can. That certainly does add something - one heck of a lot of money added to fuel costs for some questionable gain.

"Cleans intake valves" - Considering that the intake valves are bathed in gasoline mist every two engine revolutions, just how much more "cleaning" do we need ? "Fuel mileage increase" - IF someone uses the stuff each two tankfuls of gasoline, that adds $10 to each fill-up. Quick calculation says that it would need to increase fuel mileage by about 16% in order to break even - that's a normal STS highway mileage of about 25 mpg - add the needed increase and that's 29 mpg. Does your car get 29 mpg, highway ?

Snake oil. Google "bg44k fuel system cleaner", get into the blogs, and read the pro's and con's from other forums ...........Some like it, some hate it. If it's bought locally, what's the spiff on a can ?

............. if the car is primarily highway driven - and you appear to drive an average of 26,000 miles a year - it's no wonder it lasted so long - highway mileage is easy on a car. It's the cities that kill 'em. (Remember - he said the car has been religiously maintained: That implies that anything that could/would/did wear or break was replaced/repaired - cost be damned.)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.