Hey Guys! The "head gaskets" brought me here!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Submariner409
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Hey Guys! The "head gaskets" brought me here! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; ...
    MadHarry is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Cadillac STS (111,000 miles)

Hey Guys! The "head gaskets" brought me here!

Hello all, I知 Harry and I知 mad. I知 not really mad, maybe more like slightly irritated! Lol I have a 2001 Seville STS that I bought a few years ago at 48,000 miles. I bought the car as a present to myself while doing pretty well as a mortgage loan originator. I could have paid a few dollars more and bought a newer model STS but the color, styling, and mileage of the 2001 took my heart away. At the time, I really didn稚 appreciate the styling of the late model Sevilles/STS痴. As everyone knows, the mortgage 澱ubble burst a few years ago and I was out of a basically job looking and studying for a new career, and the car and a few other prized possessions is all I have after 鍍he smoke cleared! Lol

Today (the fourth of July), my BUSY mechanic informed me that its not a faulty 妬ntake rubber plenum that has my check engine light reminding me something痴 awry; the head gaskets are blown!

Especially at 111,000 miles I love the car. I was reading a post by a member called NAFTA (senior member) of 田adillacforum (no 都 on forum) in February of 2008 that stated he had a Chicagoland area mechanic that did the job for about $1200. I知 looking to speak with NAFTA or anyone, especially a Cadillac mechanic, who could do the job or economically install a new motor. I don稚 have much money for either at the moment, but will do what it takes to fix this car.

I知 looking to find a Cadillac knowledgeable or certified mechanic who could possibly fix and rethread the head gaskets or install engine. I would like to receive their contact information and a general price for each service.

***I would also like any pricing/information on used or restored Northstar engines with the head gasket issue revolved.

If I bought an 兎xtended warranty would the head gaskets be covered since they池e so notorious? Does anyone have familiarity with extended warranties & head gaskets? Are any warranty companies truly reliable?

********To Cadillac mechanics, I can get you more "work", familiar with car clubs and associations.

Help!!!!! Lol Enjoy the Holiday, Happy 4th of July! Celebrate your Independence!!!

All leads/help deserve treasure!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

orconn is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Re: Hey Guys! The "head gaskets" brought me here!

Sorry to hear of your problem with your Seville. I am sure others hear will tell you to run the appropriate test on your car before surrendering to the head gasket troll. I am sure you will be given some good advice as to how to proceed in getting your car fixed. Meanwhile, welcome to the Forums, Harry!

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)

Go to the Eldorado/Seville forum, and read through the "sticky" thread on how to pull codes. Start a new thread, describe your problem/s, and list your codes and definitions.

The ONLY way an HG issues can trigger the CEL, is if the problem is causing a misfire. If a check engine light is your only symptom (no coolant loss/overheating/rough running at cold start), don't worry about your head gaskets.

Faith76 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 89 Sedan DeVille, 90 Fleetwood, 94 Fleetwood Hearse

Greetings Harry. Sorry to hear your baby isn't feeling well.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Go online and Google "midwest cadillac repair". Run by a guy named Joe Blau in Palatine, IL. Good shop, good work. Several CF members have had their cars truck shipped to him.

If you do a top overhaul on a 2001 engine it will last forever.

It may not be head gaskets - do the suggested code pulls and diagnostics first - the SES is the suspect in this case - something emssions-related is setting that.
    Jesda likes this.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by MadHarry View Post
    Especially at 111,000 miles I love the car. I was reading a post by a member called NAFTA (senior member) of “cadillacforum” (no “s” on forum) in February of 2008 that stated he had a Chicagoland area mechanic that did the job for about $1200.
    $1200 might have been true in '08, but you're not likely to find that now. I think Joe is around $2000 for the job. Keep in mind that swapping motors could be simply swapping one problem for another. Talk to Joe. 847-776-1234

P.S.
    How did you determine that you have a HG problem? What are the symptoms.

RippyPartsDept is online now Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

all good info posted already

first, determine what is causing the CEL (HGs are almost certainly not causing the CEL)

then do a block test to determine if your HGs are bad
    if you are not overheating and/or losing coolant internally (no external coolant leaks) then don't worry about HGs
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

ben.gators is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance, 99 Seville STS--Gone!

Coolant inside the cylinders can cause misfire, and that results in P0300 code and CEL. Don't ask how I know that....

But again, make sure that you actually have bad HG. Pull codes, and post them. Also any other sign of bad HG?

Aztec ETC ECS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC ECS#533, '05 Escalade, '05 AWD Magnum, '74 455 OLDS

Quote Originally Posted by MadHarry View Post
    Today (the fourth of July), my BUSY mechanic informed me that its not a faulty “intake rubber plenum” that has my check engine light reminding me something’s awry; the head gaskets are blown!
    Is there more to this story or just the check engine light?
    Were you even overheating and/or losing coolant?
    If not, RUN!!!

If I bought an “extended warranty” would the head gaskets be covered since they’re so notorious? Does anyone have familiarity with extended warranties & head gaskets? Are any warranty companies truly reliable?
    If you buy a warranty on a car that you already own, there may be a 60 or 90 day waiting period.

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    The ONLY way an HG issues can trigger the CEL, is if the problem is causing a misfire.
    Or a P1258 but he would have definitely noticed the event that led to that.

SissyBoyFloyd is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 99 Eldorado ETC

I just bought a 99 Eldorado ETC and the dealer put a 100,000 mile/5year warranty on it, but I had to pay an extra $200+ to include head gaskets and something else which I don't remember. I asked him when he was going over the warranty if there was anything I could pay extra to upgrade the warranty to cover other important things. It is then that he mentioned the added head gasket warranty coverage. I am glad I asked for $200 doesn't seem like so much considering the odds of a potential HG problem on these cars. The warranty covers up to $3000 towards the engine and $2000 towards the transmission.

As someone else said though, there is a 90 day/1000 mile waiting period before it goes enforce.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.