Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

Thread: Hey Guys! The "head gaskets" brought me here!

MadHarry is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Cadillac STS (111,000 miles)

Hey Guys! The "head gaskets" brought me here!

Hello all, I’m Harry and I’m mad. I’m not really mad, maybe more like slightly irritated! Lol I have a 2001 Seville STS that I bought a few years ago at 48,000 miles. I bought the car as a present to myself while doing pretty well as a mortgage loan originator. I could have paid a few dollars more and bought a newer model STS but the color, styling, and mileage of the 2001 took my heart away. At the time, I really didn’t appreciate the styling of the late model Sevilles/STS’s. As everyone knows, the mortgage “bubble” burst a few years ago and I was out of a basically job looking and studying for a new career, and the car and a few other prized possessions is all I have after “the smoke cleared”! Lol

Today (the fourth of July), my BUSY mechanic informed me that its not a faulty “intake rubber plenum” that has my check engine light reminding me something’s awry; the head gaskets are blown!

Especially at 111,000 miles I love the car. I was reading a post by a member called NAFTA (senior member) of “cadillacforum” (no “s” on forum) in February of 2008 that stated he had a Chicagoland area mechanic that did the job for about $1200. I’m looking to speak with NAFTA or anyone, especially a Cadillac mechanic, who could do the job or economically install a new motor. I don’t have much money for either at the moment, but will do what it takes to fix this car.

I’m looking to find a Cadillac knowledgeable or certified mechanic who could possibly fix and rethread the head gaskets or install engine. I would like to receive their contact information and a general price for each service.

***I would also like any pricing/information on used or restored Northstar engines with the head gasket issue revolved.

If I bought an “extended warranty” would the head gaskets be covered since they’re so notorious? Does anyone have familiarity with extended warranties & head gaskets? Are any warranty companies truly reliable?

********To Cadillac mechanics, I can get you more "work", familiar with car clubs and associations.

Help!!!!! Lol Enjoy the Holiday, Happy 4th of July! Celebrate your Independence!!!

All leads/help deserve treasure!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Re: Hey Guys! The "head gaskets" brought me here!

Sorry to hear of your problem with your Seville. I am sure others hear will tell you to run the appropriate test on your car before surrendering to the head gasket troll. I am sure you will be given some good advice as to how to proceed in getting your car fixed. Meanwhile, welcome to the Forums, Harry!

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville

Go to the Eldorado/Seville forum, and read through the "sticky" thread on how to pull codes. Start a new thread, describe your problem/s, and list your codes and definitions.

The ONLY way an HG issues can trigger the CEL, is if the problem is causing a misfire. If a check engine light is your only symptom (no coolant loss/overheating/rough running at cold start), don't worry about your head gaskets.

Faith76 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 89 Sedan DeVille, 90 Fleetwood, 94 Fleetwood Hearse

Greetings Harry. Sorry to hear your baby isn't feeling well.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS - 67,500 miles, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD

Go online and Google "midwest cadillac repair". Run by a guy named Joe Blau in Palatine, IL. Good shop, good work. Several CF members have had their cars truck shipped to him.

If you do a top overhaul on a 2001 engine it will last forever.

It may not be head gaskets - do the suggested code pulls and diagnostics first - the SES is the suspect in this case - something emssions-related is setting that.
    Last edited by Submariner409; 07-05-13 at 11:15 AM.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by MadHarry View Post
    Especially at 111,000 miles I love the car. I was reading a post by a member called NAFTA (senior member) of “cadillacforum” (no “s” on forum) in February of 2008 that stated he had a Chicagoland area mechanic that did the job for about $1200.
    $1200 might have been true in '08, but you're not likely to find that now. I think Joe is around $2000 for the job. Keep in mind that swapping motors could be simply swapping one problem for another. Talk to Joe. 847-776-1234

P.S.
    How did you determine that you have a HG problem? What are the symptoms.

all good info posted already

first, determine what is causing the CEL (HGs are almost certainly not causing the CEL)

then do a block test to determine if your HGs are bad
    if you are not overheating and/or losing coolant internally (no external coolant leaks) then don't worry about HGs

ben.gators is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '14 ATS Premium with 3 pedals | Past: '13 ATS Performance & '99 Seville STS

Coolant inside the cylinders can cause misfire, and that results in P0300 code and CEL. Don't ask how I know that....

But again, make sure that you actually have bad HG. Pull codes, and post them. Also any other sign of bad HG?

Aztec ETC ECS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC ECS#533, '05 Escalade, '05 AWD Magnum, '74 455 OLDS

Quote Originally Posted by MadHarry View Post
    Today (the fourth of July), my BUSY mechanic informed me that its not a faulty “intake rubber plenum” that has my check engine light reminding me something’s awry; the head gaskets are blown!
    Is there more to this story or just the check engine light?
    Were you even overheating and/or losing coolant?
    If not, RUN!!!

If I bought an “extended warranty” would the head gaskets be covered since they’re so notorious? Does anyone have familiarity with extended warranties & head gaskets? Are any warranty companies truly reliable?
    If you buy a warranty on a car that you already own, there may be a 60 or 90 day waiting period.

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    The ONLY way an HG issues can trigger the CEL, is if the problem is causing a misfire.
    Or a P1258 but he would have definitely noticed the event that led to that.
    Last edited by Aztec ETC ECS; 07-05-13 at 07:07 PM.

SissyBoyFloyd is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 99 Eldorado ETC

I just bought a 99 Eldorado ETC and the dealer put a 100,000 mile/5year warranty on it, but I had to pay an extra $200+ to include head gaskets and something else which I don't remember. I asked him when he was going over the warranty if there was anything I could pay extra to upgrade the warranty to cover other important things. It is then that he mentioned the added head gasket warranty coverage. I am glad I asked for $200 doesn't seem like so much considering the odds of a potential HG problem on these cars. The warranty covers up to $3000 towards the engine and $2000 towards the transmission.

As someone else said though, there is a 90 day/1000 mile waiting period before it goes enforce.