98 eldo front brake stuck
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 98 eldo front brake stuck in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; So today I drove my eldo on the streets and some highway time also. It was fine on the road/ ...
    eldorado_sean is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 98' Eldorado ESC

98 eldo front brake stuck

So today I drove my eldo on the streets and some highway time also. It was fine on the road/ highway for the whole day.
    Then as my dad was driving and I was in passenger seat, we pulled onto an offramp and we started to brake. Then the car violently shook. Quickly we let go and braked again so we could turn left then it sounded like a blown tire being thrown around the rim. We pulled under a busy underpass. And I checked the front right tire.
    It was fine. I told my dad to move up a bit and the car wouldn't go. We put it N and I tried to push, nothing. We put it in reverse and it went.
    We put it in drive and gave it some more gas. The front left brake was locked! We called triple A. And after 2 mins a police officer came and helped us out by calling triple A herself and sending a tow truck. (Was a nice person).
    The tow truck came and chained it up and pulled. The front right tire was locked so it slid. We checked inside and the traction control Light was on and abs light also. We need tie rods and new suspension all around.. brake pads are brand new. Rotors are new also. Will check for codes tomorrow.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: 98 eldo front brake stuck

Very strange. Almost sounds like the EBTCM locked one brake for some odd reason. I can't imagine a bearing going bad and getting hot enough to seize. I had that happen once on a boat trailer, but I strongly suspect you'd have noticed it before that on the car. Codes may point the way, but an inspection will tell the tale for sure.

I looked on the rotor and there was a line/streak going all around the rotor and if you looked from the top it was locked. We need tie rods also because braking from highway speeds to an offramp it shakes violently.

I remember it started to shake violently on the offramp. We turned left onto a busy ave. And only the top right wheel locked, right after we turned. The tie rods are the only major problem we have. After that its the suspension that's a bit bouncy and the ELC in the back isn't working properly and scraping the rear bumper and muffler if going up or down a curb.

The car was fine on the streets and highway. Once we started braking on highway offramps the car shakes really bad. But my dad said maybe the bottom capliper bolt wasn't tight enough. So that caused it only to go in reverse. Not foward.

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 03 STS
    Who did your brakes?

The same guy who did the engine drop and re install about 1 year ago. The cars been in storage( with weekly startups. ) but 2 days ago we got it on the streets.

The mechanic was a pig when it comes to repairing cars. But for 500$ it was the best deal we got to drop the engine.

Today I'm going to take a look at the brakes. I bet he forgot something. But car was fine until it did that yesterday. Were changing both tie rods also. So the shaking might stop.

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Could be a caliper bolt fell out or broke wedging the caliper against the wheel and caliper bracket. You'll know once the wheel's removed. And I would have posted AFTER I pulled the wheel! up to this point we can only offer opinions.
    basscatt and RippyPartsDept like this.

Yup caliper bolt in the back isn't there. Dumbass mechanic. Going to call him now and tell him what happened. Theres big scratch around the whole inside of the rim.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    It'll corrode, he owes you a rim. I'd replace the remaining caliper pin, and definitely inspect the caliper and bracket.

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

On both sides!! and just for putting your mind at ease, pull them one at a time, clean them and apply caliper slide pin grease.

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 03 STS

the caliper bracket is bolted to knuckle and the caliper is bolted to caliper bracket. so there are 4 bolts to deal with. missing any 1 of them would be annoying.

Caliper and bracket looked fine. Is it really required? And do the tie rods show from there? Don't really know what they look like. I'm 16 so can I do it myself or take it to a GOOD mechanic and let him do it. also what are good shocks/ struts for front and back. Please not oem. Heard they are 400$ a side.

Back doesn't raise with added weight. Just gets lower and lower. Checked yesterday with the whole family (4 people in car and 15lbs in trunk.) Couldn't see the top of the tire when I kneeled down. But the tire wasn't touching the wheelwell.

Front is bouncy on freeway. Not that bad but needs to be changed also with tie rods. Caused the shaking while braking.

Geez this cars turning into a piggy bank

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Yes you can see the tie rods with the wheel removed. Not hard to do, but you may need puller.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYIDzXxeNwk

Sounds like your ELC compressor is not working.

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Quote Originally Posted by eldorado_sean View Post
    Caliper and bracket looked fine. Is it really required? And do the tie rods show from there? Don't really know what they look like. I'm 16 so can I do it myself or take it to a GOOD mechanic and let him do it. also what are good shocks/ struts for front and back. Please not oem. Heard they are 400$ a side.

Back doesn't raise with added weight. Just gets lower and lower. Checked yesterday with the whole family (4 people in car and 15lbs in trunk.) Couldn't see the top of the tire when I kneeled down. But the tire wasn't touching the wheelwell.

Front is bouncy on freeway. Not that bad but needs to be changed also with tie rods. Caused the shaking while braking.

--------------------------------------
    it's a 15 year old car - with 170,000 miles on it -
    what did you expect -

you have WAY too many irons in the fire at the same time -

you are jumping around that car in a haphazard way -

SLOW DOWN -

THOROUGHLY INSPECT THE CAR -
    those faulty brakes EASILY could have killed you and your Dad -

now you need to worry about what else that CLOWN of a "mechanic" forgot -

make a list of EVERYTHING that needs to be replaced -
    and report your findings -
    we can help locate the best parts - at the best prices -
    and help direct you which jobs you can do -
    and which would be better to have done by a pro -

and I would STRONGLY recommend NOT driving the car -
    until everything has been checked out -

No codes that are new old ones were p0135 o2 sensor bank 1 sensor 1
    P0171 lean bank 1

Besides that engines works perfectly. Although it has no refrigerant in ac. Needs front tie rods for sure. Needs front and back suspension. One of the brake pads broke cause of yesterday. When turning left or right SOMETIMES when parallel parking once you hit the steering lock it screeches a bit..but steering is fine just got an alignment 2 days ago.

Just measured thickness of rotors. Almost at the safe thickness 1.21 inches.
    So probably new rotors

Orders new front rotors and pad set. Going to warehouse to pick it up. 70$ for two rotors and front brake pad set!

----------

What are good front and rear struts to order. Its a 1998 eldo ESC. Are all eldos electronic struts?

Just took off left tire. Turns out the cv axle boot is torn. A crap load of yellowish green grease is leaking.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.