Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Moonroof - Do Cables or anything else need lubricating or maintenance to make it last

862 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  ELDO GUY 
#1 ·
My new 99 ETC has a nice moonroof which opens fully most of the time, except right after you crack it open by lifting the rear of it. Then when you close it, it goes a bit goofy and acts up. Right now it makes noise and will lift up a bit and close but doesn't seem to want to slide open backwards.

It is sort of loud when operating anyway. Sort of cable noises when trying to work. I just wonder if a good lube occasionally is best and might help it. Anyone maintain their's in any special way or with anything special?

#2 ·
There aren't any cables. It runs on geared tracks. Glass adjustment is by the 4 Torx screws - 2 on each glass rail. Adjustments have been posted in this forum and Cadillac Tech Tips for years. Loose glass WILL screw up the entire mechanism.

Check those Torx screws - glass should be flush with the roofline in the front edge, flush to 0.5mm above on the rear.

there are 4 sunroof pan drains - each front corner tube runs down the A-pillars to inside the front fenderwell liners. The rear drains run across the headliner to the quarter sail panels, down into the trunk and rear fenderwells. Sometimes the little razzmatazz flappers get gunked up and you ruin the headliner in a thunderstorm. I cut off the razzmatazz flappers.

If you're going to DIY stuff on this car, might I suggest a subscription to www.alldatadiy.com ??? It's the GM service manuals plus so much more that you'll need to study - hard - to find it all ........... Do you speak TSB, recalls, RPO, diagnostics, labor times, old prices, electrical circuits, troubleshooting trees, etc.,etc., - it's all in there.

#3 ·
There aren't any cables. It runs on geared tracks. Glass adjustment is by the 4 Torx screws - 2 on each glass rail. Adjustments have been posted in this forum and Cadillac Tech Tips for years. Loose glass WILL screw up the entire mechanism.

Check those Torx screws - glass should be flush with the roofline in the front edge, flush to 0.5mm above on the rear.
Where are those Torx screws located and/or how do I get to them? I am guessing the moonroof has to be opened? And if so, what if it won't open up? If I do find them, do I just try tightening them?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.