Rushing water sound in dash on acceleration
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Submariner409
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Rushing water sound in dash on acceleration in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I know this sounds strange, but I hear rushing water sounds (like water & air through a pipe) whenever I ...
    ocgltd is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 STS

Rushing water sound in dash on acceleration

I know this sounds strange, but I hear rushing water sounds (like water & air through a pipe) whenever I accelerate my 2001 STS from idle.

I can't tell exactly where the sound is coming from, but I hear it in the cabin while sitting in the drivers seat. I sounds like it might be coming from inside the dash.

I recently replaced the rad, so my first thought was air trapped in the heater core. But after driving 2000 miles any air should have bled out (according to other posts).

Anyone have an idea?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Have you checked the purge line?

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Rushing water sound in dash on acceleration

............. or, the condensate drain for the HVAC system is plugged and the drain sump is full of fresh water. Many questions and threads on this - Cadillac Tech Tips, Ranger's posted locator diagrams, Google "cadillac forums 2001 seville air conditioning drain" or something close.

Car up on a lift - look for a rubber drain elbow, maybe behind insulation, at the lower firewall/body edge just under a front seat passenger's left heel area. Clean it out with a fuzzy pipe cleaner from a craft shop or something similar.
    jcornv15 likes this.

Is the "purge line" a line from the water pump to the purge tank? (Been googling). If so, how/why would that cause the rushing water sound on acceleration heard in the cabin?

If you think it's just a loud water sound through the purge line I should be able to check that while looking under the hood and pulling the throttle. But what would that mean? Plugged purge line?

----------

I found a picture of the condensate drain and I will check that. Interestingly I changed the cabin air filter right before this started. Is it possible I pinched the drain line on the inside? I had a hell of a time getting the new filters in...

but not sure why that rushing water sound would occur on acceleration if it's a plugged drain?

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

You have air in the cooling system. If the purge line is plugged, it can't "purge " the air from the system. Checking it is simple and has been explained in detail many, many times. A quick search should turn it up.

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 02 DHS, 03 SLS

you might be hearing coolant flowing around trapped air in the heater core -
    and the most common cause of air in the cooling system is a blocked PURGE LINE -

the PURGE LINE is the only way of expelling air from the Northstar cooling system -

it is a 3/8 diameter hose that goes from a hollow bolt in the thermostat/waterpump housing area of the engine - and plugs onto a nipple on the side of the SERGE TANK -

with the engine running - there should be a gentle - constant flow of coolant - from the engine - to the serge tank -

if there is no flow - the most likely cause is a blockage in the hollow bolt -

follow the hose towards the engine - with the engine OFF - remove the hose - use a straightened metal coat hanger - or something similar - and poke it into the hollow bolt -

the coat hanger should go in about 2 1/2 inches -

once the hollow bolt is cleared - you can briefly start the engine to verify coolant flow - be sure to use some sort of container to catch the coolant so you don't make a mess -

Aztec ETC ECS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC ECS#533, '05 Escalade, '05 AWD Magnum, '74 455 OLDS

Why wouldn't a clogged purge cause overheating by vaporlocking the waterpump in this case as well as every other case?

Has the coolant level itself been checked lately? If it's low, you may hear water flowing.
    Or how 'bout a partially clogged heater core?

It can and frequently does cause overheating.

OK - I checked today and the coolant is flowing properly - no blockage. However, coolant in the purge tank was very low - perhaps it was sucking air back into the system? I'm guessing that when the rad was replaced a few weeks ago air got into the system, and that I just needed to add more antifreeze?!

So I topped up the purge tank (1" below top) with coolant and I'll monitor and report back what I find in a week.

eldorado_97 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2000 STS, W/Nav

Thats funny my car does the same thing and has done it for over a year now and it started after I put a new radiator in as well, no overheating issues what so ever either.. hmm... oh and on a side note the condensation drain is not plugged

perhaps it was sucking air back into the system?
    That can only happen if the surge tank gets too low.

I'm guessing that when the rad was replaced a few weeks ago air got into the system
    Correct, but it should only take a day or two to purge the air out of the system (if it is done correctly and properly monitored).

So I topped up the purge tank (1" below top) with coolant
    That's a tad high, but as long as it doesn't overflow you're OK. On the other hand, if it is too much, it will just expel the excess so don't panic if you notice it.

A week later and there's still a rushing water sound on acceleration. I confirmed the purge tank is still filled to the proper level, and that coolant is circulating through the purge tank.

Is there a special procedure to purge air from the system (or just from the heater core)? I assumed it should be automatic.

Aztec ETC ECS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC ECS#533, '05 Escalade, '05 AWD Magnum, '74 455 OLDS

Automatic.
    Try back-flushing the heater core.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Do 3 successive WOT's.

Read all about it up in the Cadillac Technical Archive way up ^^^ in the top black bar - "Occasional full throttle operation is good .........". Matter of fact, while you're there, study the whole thing. Lots of necessary info for a Northstar/4T80E driver.

Quote Originally Posted by ocgltd View Post
    A week later and there's still a rushing water sound on acceleration. I confirmed the purge tank is still filled to the proper level, and that coolant is circulating through the purge tank.

Is there a special procedure to purge air from the system (or just from the heater core)? I assumed it should be automatic.
    It IS automatic. If you are not low on coolant and the purge line is clear, then air is being introduced into the system.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.