Help with 1974 Eldorado Seatbelt Buzzer/Seat Occupant Sensor?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Help with 1974 Eldorado Seatbelt Buzzer/Seat Occupant Sensor? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello! First post here, I recently bought a 1974 Eldorado convertible and the seat belt buzzer is very finicky. To ...
    EMBSikorsky is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1974 Eldorado Convertible

Help with 1974 Eldorado Seatbelt Buzzer/Seat Occupant Sensor?

Hello! First post here, I recently bought a 1974 Eldorado convertible and the seat belt buzzer is very finicky.

To preface: I always wear my seat belt (such as it is, being that it's only a lap belt) but the car does not seem to care.

Depending on how I am positioned in the drivers seat, the buzzer sounds, accompanied by the red "Seatbelt" warning light illuminating on the dash. Even if I find that sweet spot that satisfies it, if I hit a pot hole or take a turn at any speed it moves me enough to set it off again. I've tolerated this for the month that I've had the car but I recently I started driving it more often with other people in the car and heavier items on the passenger seat. Whatever is wrong with the driver's side, the passenger side is even worse - it has no tolerance, if a person or heavy item is in the passenger seat, the buzzer sounds and light illuminates continuously regardless of whether the belt is buckled.

Just giving this some thought on my own, this leads me to believe that there is a problem with whatever runs from the seat belt buckle back to the sensor so the car thinks I do not have my belt fastened.

Does anyone have an idea of how to fix this properly or at least trick/kludge it so the buzzer and light do not come on anymore? My front passenger and I will always wear our seat belts, I'm not worried about that, I just want to be able to show off my baby without embarrassing lights and sounds.

TL;DR Car does not recognize belts are fastened, partially on driver, totally on passenger; any way to bypass or repair?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Erik in Florida

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Help with 1974 Eldorado Seatbelt Buzzer/Seat Occupant Sensor?

There is no "occupant sensor" that I can recall. I am not sure exactly how that system works and have always wondered, but I suspect when the ignition is on, the car simply assumes an occupant in the drivers seat. Pretty sure the other seats are ignored. My guess would be either there is a switch in the retractor that is open when the seat belt is pulled or (and I have found no evidence of this) there is a wire woven into th belt that closes a circuit when the latches are clipped together.

EMBSikorsky is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1974 Eldorado Convertible

Re: Help with 1974 Eldorado Seatbelt Buzzer/Seat Occupant Sensor?

The only reason I know there are weight sensors is from my research and the fact that the seatbelt buzzer only sounds constantly if I have a passenger or parcel in the passenger seat; no amount of fidgeting will cause the light and buzzer to turn off, even if the seatbelt is fastened, until the passenger or parcel are removed from the seat surface. As I said originally, I can get the buzzer and sound to stop if I find the sweet spot in the drivers' seat, so it knows whether there is a passenger in the car or not. Canadian Cadillacs sold in this era were equipped with an interlock system that prevented you from starting the car until you fastened your seat belt. The weight sensor is only in the front bench and detects the driver and front right passenger only. If I could find a schematic or more detailed explanation of how those systems worked, I might better understand my problem. My car is not Canadian and doesn't have the interlock system but I expect the relationship between the weight sensors, seatbelts and warning lamp/buzzer would be the same without the ability to prevent me from driving. Thank you for your reply and any further assistance you might provide. I'm currently on vacation but when I get home I plan on taking a closer look at the seat belt buckles and wiring under the bench. Perhaps there is a ground disconnected somewhere?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.