Which would you buy this month if you needed tires on a 99 ETC

• Michelin - Primacy MXV4

Votes: 14 93.3%
  • Bridgestone - Turanza Serenity Plus

Votes: 1 6.7%

Tire Decision for my '99 ETC

7K views 48 replies 20 participants last post by  SamarthVader 
#1 ·
I have two Costco Choices within in next 2 weeks, both with $70-100 Rebates.

1. Michelin - Primacy MXV4 w/ rebate thru Sunday 7/7

2. Bridgestone - Turanza Serenity Plus w/ rebate beginning next week or two.

Please vote your preference. I am mainly curious as to which wins the vote, even though I know both are good tires for me. I have never bought Bridgestones before, but don't mind giving them a try over my fondness for Michelin this one time.

#4 ·
Re: Tire Decision for my "new" '99 ETC - Please Vote this Poll for me.

forget the poll -

FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS BUY FIRESTONE/BRIDGESTONE TIRES -
first set of meats i slapped on the Eldo was Firestones Primewells, lasted almost 3 years of daily driving, including a trip from Kennewick WA to Sacramento. I'd buy them again, they handle great on icy roads.

#9 ·
Re: Tire Decision for my "new" '99 ETC

Also look into Good Year Eagle GT, very good tires. Not sure where are you located but if you see snow in your area you will like the Eagle GT allot.
Bridgestone are rather mediocre wearing out fast and providing nothing special (maybe are quiet, is the only positive part).
Michelins, you pay the badge, kind of like buying a BMW, everybody knows are fast and so on, in reality only the ones on TV, the ones in your price range are just a badge.

#15 ·
No Firestone/Bridgestone, garbage tires....

And as far as the Michelin's are concerned...OVER PRICED rock tires!

I loved the Cooper CS4's when I had them on my Seville...But since then I have grown even more fond of Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires...Don't think I'll ever buy anything else.

Reactions: ryannel2003
#16 ·
Thanks for the input and votes. I went with the majority vote, which is unanimous 11-0, and bought my Costco MXV4s this evening. All is well, with rebate et al, came to $576 OTD. I don't plan on having to buy anymore tires the rest of my life, the little that I drive.

#19 ·
Thanks for the input and votes. I went with the majority vote, which is unanimous 11-0, and bought my Costco MXV4s this evening. All is well, with rebate et al, came to $576 OTD. I don't plan on having to buy anymore tires the rest of my life, the little that I drive.
After 6 or 7 years, driving regardless, tires begin to lose the plasticizers in the rubber compound, sidewalls crack, and the tires become an accident waiting for a place to happen - regardless of tread remaining.

I've posted this story before, but it's again germane ........... I bought the STS in 11/05 with 23,147 miles on the original Goodyear RS-A Eagles. Plenty of tread. In late 2007, 5.5 years after the car was built, I did an airport runway run to 130 mph (then-speed limiter cutoff). The next morning the LF tire was flat. Blew it back up with the shop compressor, tested with soap water for leaks. The entire outside sidewall made foam !!! Skrillions of tiny, tiny cracks - weeping air. A hard look at the other 3 showed varying degrees of sidewall cracking ......... I had done a speed run to 130 on dead tires. Very disquieting.

#21 ·
The Goodyear RS-A's were absolutely great, quiet, smooth, sticky tires until the sidewalls rotted. No complaints. Came VERY close to replacing them with the identical tires in 2007, but got a good deal on the Cooper CS4-V's and have never regretted that, either.

FWIW, the Goodyears were replaced at 41,126 miles, had over 50% tread left, and my car has NEVER had the "Seville Shimmy". In 2006/7 We did 4 trips from MD to FL and nary a problem - smooth and quiet doing 85 on 95 ...........

EDIT: I use a tread depth gauge every 6 months and log the results in my flash drive spreadsheet for the car and trucks.

#23 ·
My BMW had the Eagle RS-A's and they sucked. Loud, terrible wear and downright dangerous in the rain. I ended up putting Hankook tires on it that were quiet, sticky and they were cheap. The Deville has brand new Eagle LS which was not my choice considering the poor rating for treadwear and general public opinion. They are kinda loud too; my next set of tires for the car will be Michelin. Loved the HydroEdge I had on my STS; I'll go with Symmetry or Defender for my next set.

#26 ·
I just put a set of Symmetry's on my car.

----------

Btw, my Discount Tire wanted $900 something for the MXV4's - seriously...
Can't speak for the MXV4's, but I paid $507, mounted, balanced, all taxes and fees incl. (out the door) for the symmetry's from Discount Tire. Their prices are flexible, depending on who you talk to and what kind of a deal he wants to give. I think if you simply go on their web site, the same tire was about $625 all inclusive. That's one hell of a discount.

#27 · (Edited)
That's cuz they're discontinued and have probably been sitting in the back for years - j/k haha

Seriously though, I'd be thrilled to get even the $625 price...

That's crazy

Man- I wasn't even really shopping for tires, but when I read about four tires m&b / installed for under $600 in this thread I couldn't believe it.

Then I came across the Cooper tire deal and those are really the tires I want, on the wheels I want- for what I'm pretty sure is the best price I've ever gotten from either Discount, Big O, Sam's Club/Walmart or Costco - anywhere really.

I was planning to buy the Coopers online and just have them delivered. And even like that I was figuring on at least $550ish

#29 ·
------------------------------
as far as tires go - vogue are pure "pretty" CRAP -

some like that wide whitewall and yellow stripe -

whenever I see them I just shake my head -
thinking - "they paid WAY TOO MUCH for looks -
and got crap rolling on the road" -

of course - that's just my opinion -
but an opinion based on 25 years in the tire business -

#33 ·
Ranger said:
:yeah: WAAAY overpriced.

First I've heard of Symmetry being discontinued. Better check your information Consigliori. They're still listed on the Michelin site.
http://www.michelinman.com/tire-selector/vehicle/2003/Cadillac/DeVille/DHS/tires
First I've ever heard it too-
Just hasslin' ya, man : ) And probably a little jealously at that price too, hehe

Is it just a location thing? Or I'm I doing something seriously wrong- here's another estimate that's pretty normal around here as well

#34 ·
It's not location. Discount claims they will beat anyone elses prices. I've never seen them do that by more than $5. Anyway, I called and told them I had a price from NTB. I don't recall how it all went down now, but he gave me the Michelin mail in rebate 2 days before it was in effect and took it right off the price. Then made a few more adjustments until he got down to $507. Little did he know I would have jumped on anything under $600. I told him I'd be there in 20 min. I didn't want to give him time to wake up or come to his senses.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.