Tire Decision for my '99 ETC - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

View Poll Results: Which would you buy this month if you needed tires on a 99 ETC

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Michelin - Primacy MXV4

14 93.33%
  • Bridgestone - Turanza Serenity Plus

1 6.67%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Tire Decision for my '99 ETC in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Yeah I just priced a set of Symmetry on TireRack the other day for something like $450 shipped. They are ...
    ryannel2003 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 Honda Accord EX V6. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS

Re: Tire Decision for my '99 ETC

Yeah I just priced a set of Symmetry on TireRack the other day for something like $450 shipped. They are perfect for a car like the Deville. When I bought my STS the previous owner had them installed and they were too soft for that particular car.

SissyBoyFloyd is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 99 Eldorado ETC

Quote Originally Posted by SissyBoyFloyd View Post
    Thanks for the input and votes. I went with the majority vote, which is unanimous 11-0, and bought my Costco Michelin's MXV4s this evening. All is well, with rebate et al, came to $576 OTD. I don't plan on having to buy anymore tires the rest of my life, the little that I drive.
    Rebate is only good through this Sunday, so anyone in need of new set better head over to Costco this weekend.

consigliori is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 Triple Black Eldorado ETC, 98 ETC(HG), 91 Seville(gone)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger
    WAAAY overpriced.

First I've heard of Symmetry being discontinued. Better check your information Consigliori. They're still listed on the Michelin site.
    http://www.michelinman.com/tire-sele...ille/DHS/tires
    First I've ever heard it too-
    Just hasslin' ya, man : ) And probably a little jealously at that price too, hehe

Is it just a location thing? Or I'm I doing something seriously wrong- here's another estimate that's pretty normal around here as well

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

It's not location. Discount claims they will beat anyone elses prices. I've never seen them do that by more than $5. Anyway, I called and told them I had a price from NTB. I don't recall how it all went down now, but he gave me the Michelin mail in rebate 2 days before it was in effect and took it right off the price. Then made a few more adjustments until he got down to $507. Little did he know I would have jumped on anything under $600. I told him I'd be there in 20 min. I didn't want to give him time to wake up or come to his senses.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger
    It's not location. Discount claims they will beat anyone elses prices. I've never seen them do that by more than $5. Anyway, I called and told them I had a price from NTB. I don't recall how it all went down now, but he gave me the Michelin mail in rebate 2 days before it was in effect and took it right off the price. Then made a few more adjustments until he got down to $507. Little did he know I would have jumped on anything under $600. I told him I'd be there in 20 min. I didn't want to give him time to wake up or come to his senses.
    WOW! Talk about a steal.

92WHTSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    I just put a set of Symmetry's on my car.

----------

Can't speak for the MXV4's, but I paid $507, mounted, balanced, all taxes and fees incl. (out the door) for the symmetry's from Discount Tire. Their prices are flexible, depending on who you talk to and what kind of a deal he wants to give. I think if you simply go on their web site, the same tire was about $625 all inclusive. That's one hell of a discount.
    Ranger..... I went to discount tire and asked for the Symmetry's as they were originally installed on my ETC in 99. The rep told me they were discontinued and replaced with the MXV4's, and he suggested the MXV4's which I purchased. So, I assumed they weren't available anymore. Maybe there are a few sets still floating around obviously if you bought a set. You got a great deal if you paid just over $500 for the set. Mine were $630 and change, with all the warranties. Why it pays to shop around.

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

Now I'm confused. If that's the case, maybe he did just want to unload them.

I think Michelin did in fact discontinue the Symmetry (and HydroEdge as well) and replaced both with the new Defender. They supposed to be great tires.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Vogue tyres are like "Cadillac" - Most people believe they're "special". (Actually, Vogue tyres are horrible - overpriced, lousy treadwear, and (based on the 3 (!!!) cars I've driven [short-term] with them installed), noisy and mediocre traction.

"Yeah, man I got a STS/ETC/DTS with brand new Vogue tyres !!! It's so cool !!!"..................."You gonna take it up to 130 and then autocross it this weekend ???"

92WHTSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    Vogue tyres are like "Cadillac" - Most people believe they're "special". (Actually, Vogue tyres are horrible - overpriced, lousy treadwear, and (based on the 3 (!!!) cars I've driven [short-term] with them installed), noisy and mediocre traction.

"Yeah, man I got a STS/ETC/DTS with brand new Vogue tyres !!! It's so cool !!!"..................."You gonna take it up to 130 and then autocross it this weekend ???"

"Style over substance"

stsdad is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 STS

I agree about Michelin comments, also agree about Cooper, My daughters car (not a Caddy) has Goodyear triple treads, her car is absolutely helpless in the snow, my dad tried a set of them 3 or 4 years ago, 'could never get them balanced. I have Nexen N6000 tires on my 2000 STS, good in the snow, pulled a ramp one day at around 70 for giggles, no problem, no squealing. They are cheap, quiet, and seem to
    be wearing well.

basscatt is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 02 DHS, 03 SLS

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Now I'm confused. If that's the case, maybe he did just want to unload them.
    -----------------------------
    check the DOT number on the sidewall -
    the 4 digit number is the date code -

first 2 digits is the week - last 2 digits is the year -

example 3509 - would be the 35th week of 2009 -

3313 would be the 33rd week of 2013 -

----------

Quote Originally Posted by 92WHTSTS View Post
    Ranger..... I went to discount tire and asked for the Symmetry's as they were originally installed on my ETC in 99. The rep told me they were discontinued and replaced with the MXV4's, and he suggested the MXV4's which I purchased. So, I assumed they weren't available anymore. Maybe there are a few sets still floating around obviously if you bought a set. You got a great deal if you paid just over $500 for the set. Mine were $630 and change, with all the warranties. Why it pays to shop around.
    -------------------------------------
    I went to discount tire and asked for the Symmetry's
    as they were originally installed on my ETC in 99.
    The rep told me they were discontinued
    MIGHTY STRANGE -I just went in their site - plugged in MY zipcode -
    and the 225/60/16 Symmetry is listed for $125 each -
    $616.19 for the "out the door" price -

orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

I tried the Michelin Symmetry on my wife's '95 STS and thought they were too soft for the car. Took them back and put "Hydro Edge" on it and it was much better.

You are right though both Symmetry and Hydro Edge have been discontinued. They have been replaced by the new Defender. When I went to replace the tires on my wife's '02 SLS a couple of months ago, I couldn't get Michelin's Hydro Edge. I was told it was discontinued having been replaced by the new Defender line. I had Michelin Defenders put on the car and my wife has said she likes them better than the hydro Edge that were on there before. All of our tires are bought at Costco because of the low cost, added benefits and, in our case, the convenience of having a store close by.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post

I agree, Sub, Voque tires (and their accessories) are "sucker bait" aimed at the first time Cadillac buyer whose money is just burning a hole in his pocket. All the things you have said about the actual tires are true. I used to know the guy who owned Voque (long since gone) and from the smiles on his face while touting his products, he was definitely in on the scam. As for Cadillac dealers, just another way to try and cover their overhead.

basscatt is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 02 DHS, 03 SLS

Quote Originally Posted by orconn View Post
    I tried the Michelin Symmetry on my wife's '95 STS and thought they were too soft for the car. Took them back and put "Hydro Edge" on it and it was much better.

You are right though both Symmetry and Hydro Edge have been discontinued. They have been replaced by the new Defender. When I went to replace the tires on my wife's '02 SLS a couple of months ago, I couldn't get Michelin's Hydro Edge. I was told it was discontinued having been replaced by the new Defender line. I had Michelin Defenders put on the car and my wife has said she likes them better than the hydro Edge that were on there before. All of our tires are bought at Costco because of the low cost, added benefits and, in our case, the convenience of having a store close by.

----------

I agree, Sub, Voque tires (and their accessories) are "sucker bait" aimed at the first time Cadillac buyer whose money is just burning a hole in his pocket. All the things you have said about the actual tires are true. I used to know the guy who owned Voque (long since gone) and from the smiles on his face while touting his products, he was definitely in on the scam. As for Cadillac dealers, just another way to try and cover their overhead.
    ------------------------------
    You are right though both Symmetry
    and Hydro Edge have been discontinued.

I'm not so sure the Symmetry has been discontinued -

they are still listed on the Michelin's website -
    and Discount Tire still sells them -

maybe Cosco doesn't sell them any more?

consigliori is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 Triple Black Eldorado ETC, 98 ETC(HG), 91 Seville(gone)
    Quote Originally Posted by basscatt
    MIGHTY STRANGE -I just went in their site - plugged in MY zipcode -
    and the 225/60/16 Symmetry is listed for $125 each -
    $616.19 for the "out the door" price -
    Me too, and I was just curious- but my Discount Tire has em at $127 each with two in stock & would special order two more for an out the door price of $618.70

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.