Tire Decision for my '99 ETC - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

View Poll Results: Which would you buy this month if you needed tires on a 99 ETC

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Michelin - Primacy MXV4

14 93.33%
  • Bridgestone - Turanza Serenity Plus

1 6.67%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Tire Decision for my '99 ETC in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Thanks for the input and votes. I went with the majority vote, which is unanimous 11-0, and bought my Costco ...
    SissyBoyFloyd is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 99 Eldorado ETC

Re: Tire Decision for my '99 ETC

Thanks for the input and votes. I went with the majority vote, which is unanimous 11-0, and bought my Costco MXV4s this evening. All is well, with rebate et al, came to $576 OTD. I don't plan on having to buy anymore tires the rest of my life, the little that I drive.

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

The tires are only good for few years, even if not driven on, eventually the rubber cracks, develops flat spots (is mounted on a car that sits allot).

jake99seville is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 seville sls
    Go with the Michelin's!!! I've had Michelin's on all my vehicles never had a problem. Definitely worth the money plus a better longer warranty.
    I got Michelin defenders on my Seville great in the snow!

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Quote Originally Posted by SissyBoyFloyd View Post
    Thanks for the input and votes. I went with the majority vote, which is unanimous 11-0, and bought my Costco MXV4s this evening. All is well, with rebate et al, came to $576 OTD. I don't plan on having to buy anymore tires the rest of my life, the little that I drive.
    After 6 or 7 years, driving regardless, tires begin to lose the plasticizers in the rubber compound, sidewalls crack, and the tires become an accident waiting for a place to happen - regardless of tread remaining.

I've posted this story before, but it's again germane ........... I bought the STS in 11/05 with 23,147 miles on the original Goodyear RS-A Eagles. Plenty of tread. In late 2007, 5.5 years after the car was built, I did an airport runway run to 130 mph (then-speed limiter cutoff). The next morning the LF tire was flat. Blew it back up with the shop compressor, tested with soap water for leaks. The entire outside sidewall made foam !!! Skrillions of tiny, tiny cracks - weeping air. A hard look at the other 3 showed varying degrees of sidewall cracking ......... I had done a speed run to 130 on dead tires. Very disquieting.

Aztec ETC ECS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC ECS#533, '05 Escalade, '05 AWD Magnum, '74 455 OLDS

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    I bought the STS in 11/05 with 23,147 miles on the original Goodyear RS-A Eagles. Plenty of tread..
    I don't know how that's possible. I've never seen these tires do anything but make a car ride like crap & wear out prematurely.
    ryannel2003 likes this.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

The Goodyear RS-A's were absolutely great, quiet, smooth, sticky tires until the sidewalls rotted. No complaints. Came VERY close to replacing them with the identical tires in 2007, but got a good deal on the Cooper CS4-V's and have never regretted that, either.

FWIW, the Goodyears were replaced at 41,126 miles, had over 50% tread left, and my car has NEVER had the "Seville Shimmy". In 2006/7 We did 4 trips from MD to FL and nary a problem - smooth and quiet doing 85 on 95 ...........

EDIT: I use a tread depth gauge every 6 months and log the results in my flash drive spreadsheet for the car and trucks.

Aztec ETC ECS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC ECS#533, '05 Escalade, '05 AWD Magnum, '74 455 OLDS

^ I found results for 2 different RS-A's. 260 & 340 treadwear.
    I must have had the 260 & you must have had the 340.
    Mine weren't much better than the 721's mentioned earlier.

I will never buy a tire with a treadwear less than 400 (except a drag radial) or higher than 600.

ryannel2003 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 Honda Accord EX V6. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS

My BMW had the Eagle RS-A's and they sucked. Loud, terrible wear and downright dangerous in the rain. I ended up putting Hankook tires on it that were quiet, sticky and they were cheap. The Deville has brand new Eagle LS which was not my choice considering the poor rating for treadwear and general public opinion. They are kinda loud too; my next set of tires for the car will be Michelin. Loved the HydroEdge I had on my STS; I'll go with Symmetry or Defender for my next set.

92WHTSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 99 Eldorado ETC

Go with the Michelin's, the Symmetry has been discontinued, replaced by the MXV4 ( installed on my ETC) or the new Defender is supposed to be their best tire now.

consigliori is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 Triple Black Eldorado ETC, 98 ETC(HG), 91 Seville(gone)
    Hey, for the next day or two Sears has a special on Cooper CS4-V's ordered online w/install at your nearest location. My OTD total for 235/55/r17's came to $655.43 - nice

I'm way overdue to get the 17's back on. There's CS4-V 16's on it now and I have zero complaints ( they're freakin awesome in snow!) but I'm still so in love with those 17" STS wheels : )

Usually just try to use the 16's for wintertime, but the Michelin's currently on the 17's are beyond done & scary bad. ( Pilot Sport... meh)

Btw, my Discount Tire wanted $900 something for the MXV4's - seriously...

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by 92WHTSTS View Post
    Go with the Michelin's, the Symmetry has been discontinued, replaced by the MXV4 ( installed on my ETC) or the new Defender is supposed to be their best tire now.
    I just put a set of Symmetry's on my car.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by consigliori View Post
    Btw, my Discount Tire wanted $900 something for the MXV4's - seriously...
    Can't speak for the MXV4's, but I paid $507, mounted, balanced, all taxes and fees incl. (out the door) for the symmetry's from Discount Tire. Their prices are flexible, depending on who you talk to and what kind of a deal he wants to give. I think if you simply go on their web site, the same tire was about $625 all inclusive. That's one hell of a discount.

consigliori is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 Triple Black Eldorado ETC, 98 ETC(HG), 91 Seville(gone)
    That's cuz they're discontinued and have probably been sitting in the back for years - j/k haha

Seriously though, I'd be thrilled to get even the $625 price...

That's crazy

Man- I wasn't even really shopping for tires, but when I read about four tires m&b / installed for under $600 in this thread I couldn't believe it.

Then I came across the Cooper tire deal and those are really the tires I want, on the wheels I want- for what I'm pretty sure is the best price I've ever gotten from either Discount, Big O, Sam's Club/Walmart or Costco - anywhere really.

I was planning to buy the Coopers online and just have them delivered. And even like that I was figuring on at least $550ish

2manyhotrods is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 Eldorado ETC coupe.
    Did you consider the Vogue Tires?
    Killer looks, ride very well and great tread wear. Very luxurious Cadillac type tire.
    Get loads of positive comments on the Vogues installed on my pearl white ETC coupe.

basscatt is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Quote Originally Posted by 2manyhotrods View Post
    Did you consider the Vogue Tires?
    Killer looks, ride very well and great tread wear. Very luxurious Cadillac type tire.
    Get loads of positive comments on the Vogues installed on my pearl white ETC coupe.
    ------------------------------
    as far as tires go - vogue are pure "pretty" CRAP -

some like that wide whitewall and yellow stripe -

whenever I see them I just shake my head -
    thinking - "they paid WAY TOO MUCH for looks -
    and got crap rolling on the road" -

of course - that's just my opinion -
    but an opinion based on 25 years in the tire business -

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

WAAAY overpriced.

First I've heard of Symmetry being discontinued. Better check your information Consigliori. They're still listed on the Michelin site.
    http://www.michelinman.com/tire-sele...ille/DHS/tires

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.