High Speed Wiper non-functional
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, High Speed Wiper non-functional in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Well, somewhat similar problem with wipers but the low speed wipers work just fine and the washer works fine but ...
    Swissscf is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Eldorado 1999

Well, somewhat similar problem with wipers but the low speed wipers work just fine and the washer works fine but no high speed washer. I removed the connector plug from the wiper and I can see that as I switch from low speed to high speed the voltage changes from one wire to another so I am getting voltage to the high speed circuit. Do I just need to replace the motor? Or is there something internal that might be causing the high speed wipers not to work. With the high speed switched on I can't hear anything from the motor housing.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Windshield wiper transmission replacement

...... Start a new thread

Well Ranger felt that I hijacked a thread on wiper transmission problems but since I don't know if my problem is my wiper transmission or something else I felt that it was relevant to the thread.
    My post:
    Well, somewhat similar problem with wipers but the low speed wipers work just fine and the washer works fine but no high speed washer. I removed the connector plug from the wiper and I can see that as I switch from low speed to high speed the voltage changes from one wire to another so I am getting voltage to the high speed circuit. Do I just need to replace the motor? Or is there something internal that might be causing the high speed wipers not to work. With the high speed switched on I can't hear anything from the motor housing.

Any ideas beyond swapping in a new wiper motor? Since there is already voltage applied, I don't think it is the control switch or fuse or problem with the wiring?
    Thanks,
    Swiss

rodnok01 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

Re: High Speed Wiper non-functional

it"s the motor, more specifically the control head is bad. You cold changejust the control head if you cold find it.

Just had a chance to check back for this. Where is the control head located? Is this a junk yard part replacement? From your comment I figure that it isn't something the local Auto Parts store will have sitting on the shelf.
    Thanks for the reply.

Swiss

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

The wiper motor is 2 motors and a controller in one case.
    The black plastic cover on the motor is the controller.
    The actual motor has 2 windings, one for low speeds and one for high speeds.
    Basically you need to replace the motor from what you describe.
    Very common part all '96 and up Cadillacs use the same wiper motor (regardless if equipped with rainsense or not).

Thanks Guys but it didn't work. Got new motor, hooked it up and same symptoms. Low speed washer and variable speeds work fine but no high speed? I don't have a wiring diagram for this. Got the main connection going into the head and then a 3 wire connection going into the end of the motor? Don't show any volts on any of the 3 motor wires? Are they ground contacts? Any other easy place to check? Column switch?

OK, change in tests. Have 6 wired going to the head. A-F, Have voltage on C/Grn-Wh wire with ignition on. Have voltage on C and B/Wh-Bk wires when column switch is on Low setting. No voltage on any other wires when switch is on Hi speed. Sounds like the column switch?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.