95 STS - Changing out Floor Shifter Assembly
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 95 STS - Changing out Floor Shifter Assembly in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have had this caddy for about 5 years now, and for literally 3 of those years, I have had ...
    elvisluvr08 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Seville STS 1995

95 STS - Changing out Floor Shifter Assembly

I have had this caddy for about 5 years now, and for literally 3 of those years, I have had to use a screwdriver or pen to shift my car. The knob broke first, and I was just pushing down the little white thing instead. Then, on a really cold day, the plastic got brittle and broke off inside the outer casing. Now I have to shove a phillips screwdriver or a pen into the outer casing to push that little white peg down in order to shift my car. I would love to know how to change out the entire assembly to replace that little white peg inside, and where to find the parts to do so. The closest pick-a-part is an hour away, so if anyone knows of an online parts place that I could order from, that'd be great. I can't even find a diagram of the floor shifter assembly online. I'm completely stumped. Any ideas??

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: 95 STS - Changing out Floor Shifter Assembly

Your best bet would be to talk to Chris in parts at Rippy Cadillac, over there >>>>>>> Business hours, EDT

He's not too far east of you - Wilmington, NC. Update your profie with your approximate location - it sure helps.

Welcome Aboard !!!

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Why exactly are you pushing the white peg with a screwdriver? Sounds like your shift handle (#1) is missing. Replace that and the retaining clip (#2) and you should be back in business.

http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/Page_Pro...&SupplGroup=70

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Inside #3 is a white plastic... thing (it's a flexible plastic rod essentially, but each end is cylindrical, and the middle is joined balls, all one piece). If it's broken, grab one at a salvage yard. You can get the retaining clip for the knob at any GM dealer.

twrtoad is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 eldorado

I would think you could just go to the junk yard and get the whole mechanism. It probably bolts to the floor or something. Just unhook the two cables and pull it out.
    Jim

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

Please read this thread:
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...b-removal.html
    I see absolutely no reason what so ever to replace the whole mechanism just because the shifter knob is broken. Shifter knob replacement 1 minute, the whole mechanism will take the best part of 3h (done first time).
    The shifter knob picture is different shape than your (yours is the "T" type) but other than that is exactly the same as yours (same button, same mounting), the shifter knobs are 100% interchangeable so your options are:
    '92-95 Seville/Eldorado for the exact knob as yours (the "T" style)
    '96-97 Seville, '96-'02 Eldorado, '96-'99 Deville (w/floor shifter) for the other style shifter (so called "cobra head").
    '98+Seville and '00+Devile (available in wood or leather wrapped) are NOT compatible at all with yours, do not get one of those.
    Local wreck yards should have it, eBay definitely has it, local clasified (people parting out cars) also available.
    The price ranges from $20 to $100 depending on shape and your luck.
    There are at least 6 colors available (shale, red-ish beige, medium gray, dark blue, maroon and black).
    Keep reading the thread I provided above and you get also ideas on how to restore one (you need the plastic backing in good shape, some leather matching yours - for example use a head rest from a wreck yard - some thread and a bit of contact cement), oh yeah time, patience and skills.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.