1999 STS Stereo/speaker swap - Is it worth the trouble?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By 98cadillac
  • 2 Post By MoistCabbage
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 1999 STS Stereo/speaker swap - Is it worth the trouble? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Very new here - If this is posted in the wrong section my apologies upfront. I recently purchased a 99 ...
    badmagick5 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 Seville STS

1999 STS Stereo/speaker swap - Is it worth the trouble?

Very new here - If this is posted in the wrong section my apologies upfront. I recently purchased a 99 Seville STS as a second car. I have always been into after-market stereo/speakers. After reading a few posts on here it seems this is going to be a headache. I am having a store do it and they seem to be on the ball with what I am looking to do due to the fact this will be my 4th car done with them. So what it comes down to is: Pioneer 1500 DD - 6.5 in all four doors to start (subs and amps at a later date). My question(s) is will I lose my chimes? Does my radio now have theft deterrent system? Is it a BOSE system? (No markings anywhere to show this) Do they need to run all new speaker wires? They talked about a by-pass? (I know call them). Can 6x9's go in the upper back roof deck? I told them I did not care that the steering wheels controls worked afterwards - Parts and labor to keep it was like another 100. Bottom line is I have to trust the store with making sure they do right....

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Being an STS, it should have the Bose system.

The original HU is part of the serial data bus, and theft deterrent system. For starters, you'll need a Metra GMOS-06 integration module. You'll retain chimes, but not steering wheel controls.

If you're installing after market speakers, and/or an amp, everything will have to be rewired from scratch.

The stock, infinite baffle sub is mounted in the rear deck trim panel. There is no actual metal "shelf" under it to mount speakers, and mounting them to the trim panel wouldn't be simple. It's not flat, and there's a reinforcement grid of plastic ribbing on the underside for the sub.

I would stick to 6.5"'s in the doors. The fronts are mounted to the door, the rears are mounted to the door trim panels.

If the shop hasn't worked on one of these cars before, go somewhere else.

Re: 1999 Seville STS Stereo/speaker swap - Is it worth the trouble?

Thanks for the info.... Not worried about the steering controls for stereo.. 6.5 is what I am looking at for the doors also.. Def gonna ask if they have worked on one before.. Thanks again for the info... Any other info would be great also if it comes to mind...

98cadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Seville STS

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    The original HU is part of the serial data bus, and theft detergent system.
    Is that the system that washes people when they steal the car?
    basscatt and MoistCabbage like this.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    LOL! . Well how else would they make a clean get away?

Autocorrect. Fixed.
    basscatt and 98cadillac like this.

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 96 STS, 140k

does your current radio faceplate say BOSE? older cars used to say that. dont know why bose dropped the advertising. maybe gm wanted too much money. 4 cars. so you must like shop. you can ask them if they have done any caddy cars before. if i were you, i would not want to be the first caddy car for the shop to learn on.

On mine the radio does not say BOSE at all... Yep 4 different cars with one shop - Same owner but staff changes which is what prompted me to ask my questions here. I have another shop that I have never used but going to go pick their brains BEFORE any work is done. That is the problem the shop that has done work for me had a counter person that didn't know squat/someone else had to assist with the car info...

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    You can swap the HU out, and add the GMOS-6 if you want to swap the speakers but not have to rip out all the wiring, look to Infinity's Reference line they'll matchup with the Bose amps perfectly

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...d.php?t=285735

SwampeastMike is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 99 STS, White Diamond

Re: 1999 STS Stereo/speaker swap - Is it worth the trouble?

No huge deal to replace the head unit (if you use that GMOS-6 adapter), but speakers are another thing altogether...

They have an extremely low (2 ohm or less) impedence. Put in other speakers (nearly all are 4 ohm impedence) and you'll get a drastic reduction in the volume of sound from the existing multichannel amp that's mounted behind the rear seat. The front door speakers are an odd size (7 1/4" or something like that) and design. The magnet on the front door and rear sub is of the rare earth variety and is in front of the speaker cone which results in a very thin and light design. Without difficult and/or ugly modifications to the front door, many regular speakers are too deep and the window glass will hit them.

The system design in your car is fairly straightforward. The head unit has only LINE level outputs (like RCA cables in a home stereo)--one each for the right and left channel. The outputs are NOT affected by the volume, bass, treble, etc. contols! They run to a single multi-channel preamp/power amp mounted behind the rear seat back on the driver side. Each of the speakers is also wired to the amp location. Your head unit sends coded information to the preamp/amp via the car's main data line that controls nearly everything else in the car as well. This information is for volume, bass, treble, balance, fade, audio alerts, etc.

While an efficient system design, it also makes aftermarket modifications difficult. Again, a GMOS-6 adapter with a compatible head unit is a relatively stright-forward change. Speakers/amps are NOT. Chance speakers and you also need to change the amps and do a significant amount of wiring as well.

basscatt is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Quote Originally Posted by 98cadillac View Post
    is that the system that washes people when they steal the car?
    -----------------------------------
    thanks a lot -

you just made me spew coffee out of my NOSE -

Thanks for all the great information so far... Went too another shop and they were def more on top of their game with what I am looking for... Of course I went in with a list of specific questions after posting my concerns here and getting feedback from you guys....Still a little pricey for install but as long as they do it right I am not as worried now... I will be bringing them a straight-forward double-din Kenwood HU... No flash/bang but has pre-outs for later amp upgrades... Blaupunkt 6.5 for the doors... And Boss Tweets for the dash (maybe)... I could show up with the harness etc saving more money but that would show them I really only need them for the actual install..lol... Again thanks for the information..

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 96 STS, 140k

just looked at a 99 sts in junkyard. has indash cd which my 96 does not have. bose like mine. i found the HU was loose. i pulled it out and there was a big bundle of speaker wire behind HU. a few rca cables too. looks like owner had aftermarket stuff and put stock hu back in. the hu was not plugged in. i think the factory harness/connector was gone too. actually i was looking for the gmos interface thing. not that i know what it looks like

SwampeastMike is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 99 STS, White Diamond

Again, be VERY cautious regarding simply replacing speakers! Don't forget that the ones installed with the system have exceptionally low impedence--2 ohm or less!

Something I forgot to mention regarding the system design is that none of the speakers receive a full-range signal from the amps. While crossover frequencies and order are not mentioned in the factory manual, the front door speakers are designed as woofers. It is therefore senseless to install bi- or tri-axial speakers in the doors if being driven by the factory amp. The three dash speakers handle the vast majority of the mid and high frequencies and are installed in tuned, ported enclosures. Bose is also well known for doing a lot of preamp equalization to match (read compensate for limitations) their speaker drivers. "No high, no lows, it's a Bose."

I'm no big fan of Bose but you have to be really careful with their proprietary, factory car systems as it's easy to dump in a bunch of time and money to find you've actually produced a less capable system

Not a fan of BOSE either... I looked at 2 ohm speakers (JBL) but went against them... Hopefully the place I have chosen will do a decent job... They answered my questions after posting this post making sure I covered all the bases... Simple Kenwood HU with Kenwood 6.5's in the doors AND maybe Power Acoustiks Tweets in the dash... (amps and subs at a later date)... Will be the 1st time I actually will have matched speakers and HU... Went with the simple approach (and reviews on the products) due to funds.... Thanks everyone for the help on here!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.