Dead battery now high idle
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Dead battery now high idle in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; 2004 Seville SLS. Went to leave work today and for some reason my battery was dead. It read 14.4 volts ...
    apachedawg is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Seville

Dead battery now high idle

2004 Seville SLS. Went to leave work today and for some reason my battery was dead. It read 14.4 volts this morning and ran great. This afternoon 9.5 volt and just a couple of clicks. Battery is 5 months old. Once I jumped started it it read 14.4 again and was idling fine about 750 rpm. Took off to go get the battery tested and the car's idle was stuck at 3000 rpm. Decided to just get it home. Got home shut it off restarted it, idle at 1500 and won't go any lower. Ran DTC'S got p0507 Current "High Idle." Cleared the code started and restarted car several times idle still 1500 but code didn't return. I checked it for any obvious vacuum leaks didn't hear or see any. TB cleaned about 4 weeks ago and new AC Delco IAC 3 weeks ago due to similar problem with the idle being high at random times. The car has ran perfectly till today. What is going on do I have to spend another $200 on an IAC or what?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)

Re: Dead battery now high idle

Quote Originally Posted by apachedawg View Post
    ....This afternoon 9.5 volt and just a couple of clicks.
    That is one of the few warnings of a failed battery you will receive before the battery leaves you stranded some dark and stormy night waiting for AAA to arrive and jump start.
    Battery is 5 months old.
    Battery condition is not related to battery age. A brand spanking new battery off the shelf can fail to crank the engine.

I get the battery, they go bad and a Caddy can use up so juice. It is under warranty. The thing I don't get is the high idle. Did something fry or is it just that since the battery went bad the PCM dumped some memory and it will clear up again?

I get the battery....It is under warranty.
    That is your first, second, and third priority.
    The thing I don't get is the high idle. Did something fry or is it just that since the battery went bad the PCM dumped some memory and it will clear up again?
    There is no way to answer that before the battery issue is resolved.
    As for the 'fried' something, there is always the possibility that whoever supplied the last jump start did not have very good voltage regulation.

If a separate problem related to idle air control is present, eventually a definitive code will be set.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    A brand spanking new battery off the shelf can fail to crank the engine.
    Been there, done that.

98cadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Seville STS

My car idled at 1500 RPM when I forgot to plug the wiring connector back into the IAC valve after I cleaned it.

Replaced the battery and now all seems to be back to normal. Thank you everyone for you replies.

Replaced the battery and now all seems to be back to normal. Thank you everyone for you replies.
    Excellent. And thank you for the feedback to close the issue.

Future readers with a similar problem could benefit from your experience.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.