TC and ABS service soon light on
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, TC and ABS service soon light on in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi All, After replacing my battery, I got the service ABS and Steering messages. ABS and TC light are both ...
    ghia61 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 Seville STS

TC and ABS service soon light on

Hi All,
    After replacing my battery, I got the service ABS and Steering messages.
    ABS and TC light are both on and no response from the TC button.
    Checking for codes, I got 2 new ones:
    ABS C1255 - EBCM internal Malfunction
    RSS C1738 - Exhaust solenoid valve short to GND

Other code is the P1860 regarding the TCC solenoid which was on before the battery replacement.

Any one can help me where to start looking?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: TC and ABS service soon light on

Since this all started right after a battery replacement I'd clear the codes and start all over from scratch. Seen what, if any return and then post back.

Already done. Codes are still there.
    I thought of disconnect the battery again, do you think this can help more?

Disconnect both battery cables and tough them together. That'll discharge all the capacitors and do a sort of reboot so to speak. I wouldn't hold my breath, but it can't hurt. If the codes return, then the problems are real.

OK, I disconnect the battery, short the battery cables, left it to 5 min, then connect again and the codes are still there...
    I get the messages:
    "check stability sys"
    "check steering sys"

Any idea?

And one more question, is it possible to continue driving the car?

Yes you can continue to drive it. Just understand that you do not have ABS capability any longer.

I would have to guess that your problems are real at this point, but it is still suspicious that those codes and warnings came about right after a battery change.

Could it be one problem causing these 2 codes?
    What is the Exhaust solenoid valve, and where is it locating?

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx), '04 DTS & the witch driver gone.

Quote Originally Posted by ghia61 View Post
    ....And one more question, is it possible to continue driving the car?
    Yes, BUT you will not have ABS or Traction Control.
    And the rear suspension automatic level control probably does not operate as intended.

If you will be attempting to repair C1255 yourself, there is one quick easy item to examine first.

Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    If you will be attempting to repair C1255 yourself, there is one quick easy item to examine first.
    What is the examine? At-list, I am ready to try....

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx), '04 DTS & the witch driver gone.

Quote Originally Posted by ghia61 View Post
    What is the examine? At-list, I am ready to try....
    The EBTCM is located at the bottom front left hand corner of the powertrain cradle. Access is obtained by removing the bottom air control panel under the grille, condenser/radiator OR removing the LF fender liner.

The EBTCM contains a pump motor and there is ground wire that exits the side of the motor housing and connects to a chassis ground location on the cradle. That ground wire is known to corrode/oxidize/rust and even simply break. Before you do anything else, inspect that ground wire for cleanliness and security.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Exhaust solenoid - Our cars have an Automatic Level Control which controls rear ride height in response to extra weight in the trunk or rear seat. The system uses height sensors, air bladders on the shock absorbers, air lines and a compressor assembly. The system is NOT "air ride". The compressor uses a supply/vent valve controlled by a solenoid in the compressor head.

To test the system turn the key ON. After about 6 - 8 seconds you should hear the compressor run briefly - in the RR wheelwell area. OK ? Now pop the trunk and you and 2 assistants sit on the open lip. The compressor should run again to level the rear - the extra weight thing. OK ?? Now you all hop off and you listen for escaping air in the RR wheelwell as the system again levels the rear. OK ??

If this test does not work you'll need to do an ELC system diagnosis and possible overhaul. It's all in the Cadillac Tech Tips. For parts and pricing talk to Chris in parts at Rippy Cadillac over there >>>>>>>, business hours EDT.

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    To test the system turn the key ON. After about 6 - 8 seconds you should hear the compressor run briefly
    Yes, I can't hear the compressor as usual. I will read the tech tip about the system.

One more fact is that I feel the steering a bit hard to turn, it is not soft as usual.

Can you please direct me to find the Tech Tip regarding the ELC system diagnosis? I can't find it (link will be great).

I found today that 2 fuses was damaged.
    One is 15A for the "Export LGT", and the other one is the 30A "ELC"...
    I change both of them, and after 1-2 min the 30A "ELC" fuse damaged again. The messages are still there, even before fuse burn.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

ELC diagnosis - Gut work. The system operating test is spelled out in my post #11 ^^^

If the rear sags and will not stay level with extra loads in the trunk or back seat, car up on 4 jackstands or on a lift. Spray bottle of soapy water, do the compressor prove-out. Spray soap water on the air lines, shock bladders and connections - just like finding a tire leak - bubbles locate the leak.

The compressor assembly has a dessicant filter/dryer that absorbs moisture from heat of compression - the exhaust valve blows down that dessicant canister to dry it out......... but eventually it overloads with moisture and corrosive snot which ruins the solenoid head and compressor cylinder.

If the 30A ELC fuse is blowing then the compressor is seized. Replacement of the assembly is the only repair. Look at the Suncore site for rebuilt assemblies for your car, year, model. or, talk to Chris in parts at Rippy Cadillac, over there >>>>>>>. (GMT -4........ 6 hours for you)

OK - we have a problem - I noticed by your English text usage that you were probably not in the U.S. - You are in Israel. This complicates your repair problem. Look in www.rockauto.com for the compressor for your car, year, model. RockAuto ships overseas.

Please use the My Profile and Settings tabs - upper right - to update your profile with your approximate location - it sure helps with diagnosis and recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    Please use the My Profile and Settings tabs - upper right - to update your profile with your approximate location - it sure helps with diagnosis and recommendations.
    Done. Thanks Submariner.
    You are right, I am locating in Israel and I am apologize about my English. I have some more questions.
    Do I need to overhaul the compressor? What does it mean "the compressor assembly"?
    What is the blowing LGT fuse?
    Does the compressor problem can cause to the ABS problem?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.