98 STS Air Blend Door doesn't fully open, B1340 code
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By basscatt
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 98 STS Air Blend Door doesn't fully open, B1340 code in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi, When both my driver and passenger climate controls are set to max a/c, my driver side vents only blow ...
    matthew.schonert is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 STS

98 STS Air Blend Door doesn't fully open, B1340 code

Hi,

When both my driver and passenger climate controls are set to max a/c, my driver side vents only blow out slightly cool air at best while my passenger side blows ice cold. I pulled the follwing code from on-board diagnostics:

IPM B1340 CURRENT -- Air Mix Door One Movement Fault

I took off the driver lower IP cover to check things out. I found the control arm to feel it actuate as I changed the control setting. What I found is that the actuator wouldn't work below the 82 deg setting.

I started at the highest 90 deg setting and clicked it slowly down one notch at a time. After each click I could feel the control arm move a little bit more, but it would stop moving at 82 deg as I continued turning the knob. Passenger side was fine though. As a check I set both passenger and driver side controls to 82 deg and the temperature was approx the same, but when both were at 60 deg of course the driver side was only slightly cool but the passenger side was very cold.

Could this be just a calibration error with the actuator or something, or do I need a new actuator? Or is it something else?

Let me know if there's any other info I can give to help.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)

Re: 98 STS Air Blend Door doesn't fully open, B1340 code

Quote Originally Posted by matthew.schonert View Post
    ....Could this be just a calibration error with the actuator or something, or do I need a new actuator? Or is it something else?
    Possibly, possibly, and least likely.

As for calibration. You could try removing both battery cables and touching the cable ends together or otherwise briefly jumping the positive cable end connector to chassis ground.
    That will discharge the multitude of capacitors in all the vehicle's modules and give you a fresh start. Be aware that you will lose some DIC data like TRIP A, TRIP B, AVG MPG and a few others.
    Connect the cables to the battery and repeat the exercise of changing selected temperature one degree at a time.

If the results are the same as before, replace the actuator motor.

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Chances are the clicking is a stripped gear.

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Quote Originally Posted by matthew.schonert View Post
    Hi,

When both my driver and passenger climate controls are set to max a/c, my driver side vents only blow out slightly cool air at best while my passenger side blows ice cold. I pulled the follwing code from on-board diagnostics:

IPM B1340 CURRENT -- Air Mix Door One Movement Fault

I took off the driver lower IP cover to check things out. I found the control arm to feel it actuate as I changed the control setting. What I found is that the actuator wouldn't work below the 82 deg setting.

I started at the highest 90 deg setting and clicked it slowly down one notch at a time. After each click I could feel the control arm move a little bit more, but it would stop moving at 82 deg as I continued turning the knob. Passenger side was fine though. As a check I set both passenger and driver side controls to 82 deg and the temperature was approx the same, but when both were at 60 deg of course the driver side was only slightly cool but the passenger side was very cold.

Could this be just a calibration error with the actuator or something, or do I need a new actuator? Or is it something else?

Let me know if there's any other info I can give to help.

Thanks!
    ----------------------------------
    WOW - I AM IMPRESSED -

this just might be the first post - EVER -
    that included a proper scan for codes -
    included the code definition -
    not to mention a complete and comprehensive understanding of the problem -
    and diagnosis - that is right on the money -

follow Jim's instructions -
    it's probably a bad actuator -
    vincentm likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.