98 eldo running lean bank 1,2 - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 98 eldo running lean bank 1,2 in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Just for grins and kicks, Google "top tier gasoline" and "chevron techron" for some study work. Know that GM recommends ...
    Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: 98 eldo running lean bank 1,2

Just for grins and kicks, Google "top tier gasoline" and "chevron techron" for some study work. Know that GM recommends a Top Tier gasoline - it's up to you to find out why.

eldorado_sean is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 98' Eldorado ESC
    Ohhh now I get it! So basically all grades of octane at the top tier retailers have more additives in the fuel? It doesn't matter on grade?

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Right. And "grade" is a very misleading term. "Premium" is not better than "regular" or "mid grade". The only difference is octane.

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Quote Originally Posted by eldorado_sean View Post
    Ohhh now I get it! So basically all grades of octane at the top tier retailers have more additives in the fuel? It doesn't matter on grade?
    ---------------------------
    WOW - you catch on quick -

Ok so today my father went to triple a and got a 2 day temporary permit. He came back and went to tire shop. We got 4 brand new sumitomo htr p01's for 360$ installed, balanced. And 40$ for allignment. The tire guy jacked the front with a floor jack and wobbled the front left tire. It jiggled a litle. My dads like it needs tie rods. The tire guy agreeed. It was a completely new car the steering was tight and amazing. We took it out for about 25 miles on street. It was good (using crappy gas to get rid of it). It never went above the half way point( didn't use ac.. no refrigerant).

So main part of story
    dad drove on freeway for another 30 miles total.
    When we hit traffic from 70mph we slowed down to about 30 and the car started shaking.
    So is that inner or outer tie rods? My dads like it needs some part..can't remember the damn thing. Its made of rubber or polyurethane.

Ok now the main problem.
    We went to my dads friends smog center. The check engine light came on after 10 miles after clearing them yesterday. We went there my dads like don't smog it yet, check to see if it will even pass. The assistant came and did it( was a complete dumbass) he put that thing in the exhaust. Put the car in park and reved to 1500 rpm. Then checked codes with diagnostic tool and said you won't pass the emissions. Said o2 sensor bank 1 sensor 1 and running lean bank 1 only. ( we had about 1 gallon of bad gas and filled up top tier 91 for about 9 gallons. So what's the problem?? I got so mad after that happened.

BALL JOINTS that's what we needed also. The assistant said it's running too hot? Temperature waa in middle? Said nox or mox was too high. But o2 and co2 was good.

We went to another mechanic and said clean the maf really well when cold. And replace the o2 so light goes out. My father and I trust the mechanic with our lives. So any suggestions of what the culprit is? And sorry for long post. And is going up a steep mountain road at 35 enough to bring temp up to the 1st line after half?

Ok so today my father went to triple a and got a 2 day temporary permit. He came back and went to tire shop. We got 4 brand new sumitomo htr p01's for 360$ installed, balanced. And 40$ for allignment. The tire guy jacked the front with a floor jack and wobbled the front left tire. It jiggled a litle. My dads like it needs tie rods. The tire guy agreeed. It was a completely new car the steering was tight and amazing. We took it out for about 25 miles on street. It was good (using crappy gas to get rid of it). It never went above the half way point( didn't use ac.. no refrigerant).

So main part of story
    dad drove on freeway for another 30 miles total.
    When we hit traffic from 70mph we slowed down to about 30 and the car started shaking.
    So is that inner or outer tie rods? My dads like it needs some part..can't remember the damn thing. Its made of rubber or polyurethane.

Ok now the main problem.
    We went to my dads friends smog center. The check engine light came on after 10 miles after clearing them yesterday. We went there my dads like don't smog it yet, check to see if it will even pass. The assistant came and did it( was a complete dumbass) he put that thing in the exhaust. Put the car in park and reved to 1500 rpm. Then checked codes with diagnostic tool and said you won't pass the emissions. Said o2 sensor bank 1 sensor 1 and running lean bank 1 only. ( we had about 1 gallon of bad gas and filled up top tier 91 for about 9 gallons. So what's the problem?? I got so mad after that happened.

BALL JOINTS that's what we needed also. The assistant said it's running too hot? Temperature waa in middle? Said nox or mox was too high. But o2 and co2 was good.

We went to another mechanic and said clean the maf really well when cold. And replace the o2 so light goes out. My father and I trust the mechanic with our lives. So any suggestions of what the culprit is? And sorry for long post. And is going up a steep mountain road at 35 enough to bring temp up to the 1st line after half?
    -----------------------------
    check for codes again

PCM P0131 o2 sensor bank 1 sensor 1
    PCM P0171 lean bank 1

PCM P0131 o2 sensor bank 1 sensor 1
    PCM P0171 lean bank 1
    -----------------
    so - you still have a vacuum leak -

But where else is it possible??? I sprayed starting fluid all around the intake

The PCM monitors lean conditions through the O2 sensors. Replace the O2 sensor and see if the lean code goes away.

Ok that sounds more like it. My dads mechanic friend said the same thing. Will check tomorrow if anybodys even open.

Ok the nitrogen oxide is too high. That's because of combustion chamber is too hot. So that means its running lean..so the culprit of the whole thing is the o2 sensor!
    could this be finally the end of this??

amunderdog is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 SLS x 2 ---- 1993 Eldorado Sport ----- 1994 Deville 4.9

Rough

He only has a code for one O2 sensor.

Its only bank 1 thats running lean. And the o2 sensor is for bank 1 also. The code for the other bank (2) hasn't shown up yet.

And what about the high nitrogen oxide level?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.