'98-'01 Seville Adaptive Seats
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, '98-'01 Seville Adaptive Seats in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I told N* caddy that I'd post some pictures of these seats, and since in researching them, I found little ...
    MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    I told N* caddy that I'd post some pictures of these seats, and since in researching them, I found little more than very brief descriptions explaining that there are 10 bladders, and the system cycles every 4 minutes, I figured I'd write up something a little more in depth, in case anyone's interested.

Here's the seat with the rear cover/pocket panel, and upholstery removed:

The black box contains the electronics and the pump. There are 2 "banks" of 4 outlets. The one on the left goes to the seat back, the one on the right, to the seat bottom. The lines to the seat bottom are covered in matching vinyl, as they exit the bottom of the seat back, and are routed under the seat to the seat bottom, while the lines to the seat back just loop under the bottom of the seat back frame/foam to the front side:

Here are the 5 bladders on the seat bottom:

One in the center, one under the front of each thigh, and one on each side bolster. The dark areas are where the bladders are glued to the seat foam. It doesn't cover the entire bottom of the bladders, because they need to be able to move. The bladders do not stretch like a baloon as they inflate. Imagine a flat football, with one entire side glued to a table. If you tried to inflate it, it wouldn't be able to expand. Same idea.

The black spot on the center section is where the seat heater element failed, and melted the foam attached to the upholstery. The bladders are quite thick, it didn't hurt anything.

Here are the 5 bladders on the seat back:

One on each bolster, and 3 in the lumbar area. If there were one large bladder there, it would be too round when inflated. The black thing is a thin, flexible, plastic panel, presumably so you don't feel three separate bladders on your back. The bladders are behind it:

While there are 10 bladders, they are not monitored/controlled individually. There are only 8 outlets at the control/pump unit, and it's divided further from there:

The seat bottom is divided into 4 different "circuits":

- The center section.
    - Both side bolsters together.
    - Right thigh.
    - Left thigh.

The seat back is divided into 2 circuits:

- Both side bolsters together.
    - The three lumbar bladders

With the key on, when you press up (AUTO) on what would normally be the lumbar control switch, the system inflates the bladders to suit your current seating position. After that, it adjusts every 4 minutes, if necessary.

Pressing down on the control switch, or turning the ignition off, deactivates the system, and the bladders deflate.

The forward/backward positions of the switch can be used to manually inflate just the 3 center bladders on the seat back, and acts as standard lumbar adjustment, weather the system is in or off.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Aztec ETC ECS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC ECS#533, '05 Escalade, '05 AWD Magnum, '74 455 OLDS

Re: '98-'01 Seville Adaptive Seats

I had these in a LOADED 2000 STS.
    I liked them. Some of my passengers felt they were being molested.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Besides the seats, the only option I'm aware of that my '01 doesn't have is NAV. But the pre '02 system is the odd, small screen version.

I'm curious how many cars actually had the adaptive seats. I've never seen them in another car in person, or online.

Aztec ETC ECS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC ECS#533, '05 Escalade, '05 AWD Magnum, '74 455 OLDS

My 2000 had EVERYTHING. Seats, backup sensors, factory roof & navigation.

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

But you get no massage with the adaptive seats...
    It does look doable, should be no problem retrofitting in any Seville/Eldorado/Deville.
    The foam appears to be the same for adaptive seats as for the regular seats.
    Thanks for the pictures, is what I was looking for.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.