Cadillac Owners Forum banner

2001 STS Front Hubs

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  ryannel2003 
#1 ·
I bought my STS in 2005 with 35K miles on it. One of the front hubs went bad at 56K miles, the other side at about 76K. I now have 208K and have replace both front hubs 4 times each. The OEM hubs are $380.60 at the Cadillac dealer. I've been putting after market on after my 100K warranty went out. I'm now using Moog hubs which are a supposedly better part. Does anyone have a idea as to why these hubs keep failing? I have new tires rotated and balanced every 4-6K miles. My mechanic is stumped. No leaks or issues with the axles or CV joints that we can tell. Help Good news is that I have been warranting them out for the last 2 yrs. Only costs me $45 today for the RF hub.

#3 ·
Re: 2001 Cadillac STS Front Hubs

No vibrations and FEA is good. I had a 2 of the hubs speed sensors fail also at different times. The first hubs were AC Delco and finally went to the MOOG. The MOOG's certainly costs more and I was told they were a better hub. They do say on the box their made in Korea. Hmmmm At least it isn't China.

#5 ·
Actually, I've used ACDelco, Timken, and Moog after the first set of OEM went bad. Either the bearings failed or the speed sensors failed. I'm at the end of my rope on this but like I said, as long as they keep warranting, it's better than a car payment.

#6 ·
I replaced one the other day, used Federal Mogul, price was cheap, seems to be good. A point of caution on these appears to be the axle bearing torque, they all come with warnings that too much torque can damage the bearing, even worse for the sensor. It would seem to me to be worth the extra effort to use a torque wrench, and not just pull them super tight light most mechanics do....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.