Just bought 99 ETC
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Just bought 99 ETC in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; It has 88k miles on it, looks, smells, and drives new....very tight feel and fast. Great deep color Red with ...
    SissyBoyFloyd is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 99 Eldorado ETC

Smile Just bought 99 ETC

It has 88k miles on it, looks, smells, and drives new....very tight feel and fast. Great deep color Red with tan interior and gold accents on outside. Very nice, luxurious, and conspicuous.

There are a couple of things the dealer is fixing that I found not working: outside mirrors and driver seat memory don't work at all. Maybe they are on same fuse?

Antenna doesn't go up or down, just remains in half up position, but seems to pick up stations ok.

My main question to you all is: What should I expect or be prepared for as far as problems or typical items that will need attention soon with car having 88K miles on it. So far I am very happy with it, but do find a few things working a bit rough or noisy such as the power moon roof when opening and closing. Maybe it just needs some grease on cables? And the lumbar adjustment and back massager don't seem to work well at all. There is movement in them but not what you would expect. More like they are simply trying to work.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Re: ? - just bought 99 Eldorado ETC

Welcome to the Forums!

2manyhotrods is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 Eldorado ETC coupe.

Re: ? - just bought 99 Eldorado ETC

It's an old car, 14 years old. Don't expect a lot. I too own a '99 ETC and I love it but be prepared to feed it a lot of money and don't be too disappointed by your first major repair estimates.
    Accept the fact that it does not have Toyota reliability.
    My ETC is terrific to drive and easy on the eyes but I always expect trouble around the next corner.
    bwv565 likes this.

wlewis is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 Eldorado
    My 99 had the TCC solenoid replaced at about that mileage - around $2,000
    I put new break pads on at about that time too.
    I replaced plugs and wires at 100,000
    Head Gaskets repaired at 110,000 miles and had all oil leaks repairs at same time for $2,500
    I replaced a alternator/generator on at about 120,000 it's a tight fit!
    I replaced stabilizer bar end links at about 125,000 about $45

It can be frustrating sometimes, but they are fantastic cars.
    amunderdog and bwv565 like this.

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

Re: Just bought 99 ETC

Being a '99 my biggest fear would be the HG's. If you don't know when the coolant was last changed, change it and follow up every 2-3 years and DO NOT use the sealant tabs that they "used to" recommend. Forget the GM recommended 5yr/100k interval and pray to the Northstar Gods. Other than that read up on oil consumption and full throttle acceleration up in the Technical Archives at the upper left and enjoy the car.

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 02 DHS, 03 SLS

OK - you asked -
    here are some of the big expenses you could be facing -

head gaskets -

front struts - and rear shocks -

transmission torque converter -

oil leaks -

Does my 99 ETC have the L37 or the LD8 engine?

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Look at your VIN - the 8th character is the engine ;

VIN 9 - L37 - 300hp/3.71 performance final drive - STS, DTS, ETC

VIN Y - LD8 - 275hp/3.11 economy/cruise final drive - SLS, Deville, DHS, ESC

Look in my albums for the VIN character definitions diagram. Community tab ^^^, Albums, the red Seville.

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    Look at your VIN - the 8th character is the engine ;

VIN 9 - L37 - 300hp/3.71 performance final drive - STS, DTS, ETC

VIN Y - LD8 - 275hp/3.11 economy/cruise final drive - SLS, Deville, DHS, ESC

Look in my albums for the VIN character definitions diagram. Community tab ^^^, Albums, the red Seville.

thanks, mine is the L37. I knew it was the bigger engine but didn't know what its designation was.

Oh yes, I failed to mention in the first post that my new 99 Eldorado came with a full 5yr and another 100,000 mile warranty on the engine, transmission, including head gaskets, up to $3000 for engine and $2000 for transmission. That gives me lots of peace. I don't mind fixing little things occassionally, and general upkeep like brakes, shocks, struts, tires, etc. It will be worth it to drive a $40,000 car and enjoy it the rest of my life. I figure if I put another $3000 in it over 5-10 yrs, it will be fine. I drive only 3-4,000 miles per year, so I expect a wonderful experience with it. I love it so far, the handling, power, and comfort is amazing.

I think I might take advantage of the $70 rebate on a set of new Michelin tires for it next week. The tires on it drive great but are 10 yrs old, even though there are no cracks and fair amount of tread left. I just love new tires on a new car of mine. They would last me the rest of my life and so might put them on and enjoy them now, rather than next year or so.

One last question for now: Is there anything some do to improve the performance or handling that doesn't cost a fortune, or does the ETC come as good as it can be already. I was thinking about better performance from different air filter, muffler, or something along those lines that any of you enjoyed after adding or changing to yours.

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 96 STS, 140k
    99 with 88k miles. So u paid $4k? Or $7k? Since u got $3k warranty too.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

No - none - none- "performance" modifications. Cadillac did it for you. Your entire drivetrain is controlled by the PCM - and anything you attempt will NOT cause the PCM to recalibrate itself or anything else to gain performance.

Forget the cutesy boutique air filters or so called "CAI" boxes - a good pleated paper air filter and the existing efficient CAI already flows more air than the engine can use at WOT redline.

Go up ^^^ to the top black bar and study the entire Cadillac Technical Archive - there's maintenance and operation info there that you NEED to become familiar with........ and, when all else fails, read the owner's manual Do regular underhood fluids and mechanical checks - DO NOT wait for some silly warning or message that pops up when the car screams "HELP !!!".

Find a real GM/Helm service manual set on eBay. If you are a conscientious owner you will need it. Chilton and Haynes are FAR too generic for these cars.

10 year old tires are deathtraps - don't drive very fast or very long until you get a good set of all-season performance tires and a good Hunter Road Force balance job. Your (?? 2-piece ??) lug nuts are supposed to be torqued to 100 lb/ft in a star pattern.

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx), '04 DTS & the witch driver gone.

Quote Originally Posted by SissyBoyFloyd View Post
    thanks, mine is the L37. I knew it was the bigger engine but didn't know what its designation was.
    There is no 'bigger'; L37 and LD8 engines are the exact same displacement (4.6 Liters or 279 cu. in.).

The torque and HP rating difference is a result of different camshaft timing, lift, and duration.

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

The ONLY difference is 25 more HP and you won't even start to see that until about 5000 RPM.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by stoveguyy View Post
    99 with 88k miles. So u paid $4k? Or $7k? Since u got $3k warranty too.

Good guess. I paid $7000 for the car and warranties. I did update it to include the head gaskets + and with tax and license etc, it came to $7900. I also had him put in writing that he would get the memory seats, outside electric mirrors, and radio antenna fixed. That is all I could come up with that wasn't right. I did find a grinding sort of sound for a second when I turn wheel really sharp to right when going slow to back out of a space or make a slow turn. He said it had just had a new steering pump (?) put on, or something like that. And he would have mechanic look into it when I take it in on Monday to address other issues.

He had several Cadillacs of this vintage from $5000-9000, but this one seemed like the newest in appearance, feel, tightness, and ride. I was impressed with this one as much as I was turned off by the others. He told me that this one didn't leak at all, which a lot of them did. So, all around I loved this one, the rich red color, gold trim package, and moonroof too. Just what I wanted, yet it was older than I thought I would buy. I was figuring on $15,000 for a good low mileage '06-08.

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 02 DHS, 03 SLS

Quote Originally Posted by SissyBoyFloyd View Post

Oh yes, I failed to mention in the first post that my new 99 Eldorado came with a full 5yr and another 100,000 mile warranty on the engine, transmission, including head gaskets, up to $3000 for engine and $2000 for transmission. That gives me lots of peace. I don't mind fixing little things occassionally, and general upkeep like brakes, shocks, struts, tires, etc. It will be worth it to drive a $40,000 car and enjoy it the rest of my life. I figure if I put another $3000 in it over 5-10 yrs, it will be fine. I drive only 3-4,000 miles per year, so I expect a wonderful experience with it. I love it so far, the handling, power, and comfort is amazing.

I think I might take advantage of the $70 rebate on a set of new Michelin tires for it next week. The tires on it drive great but are 10 yrs old, even though there are no cracks and fair amount of tread left. I just love new tires on a new car of mine. They would last me the rest of my life and so might put them on and enjoy them now, rather than next year or so.

One last question for now: Is there anything some do to improve the performance or handling that doesn't cost a fortune, or does the ETC come as good as it can be already. I was thinking about better performance from different air filter, muffler, or something along those lines that any of you enjoyed after adding or changing to yours.
    --------------------------
    One last question for now:
    Is there anything some do to improve the performance or handling
    that doesn't cost a fortune,
    or does the ETC come as good as it can be already.
    I was thinking about better performance
    from different air filter, muffler, or something along those lines
    that any of you enjoyed after adding or changing to yours.

I am so glad you asked that question -

I have spent over a decade -
    compiling a complete and comprehensive list -
    of ALL the KNOWN - PROVEN items -
    that WILL increase POWER AND GAS MILEAGE -

EVERYTHING THAT ACTUALLY WORKS IS INCLUDED IN THIS LIST -
    AND EVERYTHING ON THIS LIST IS DEFINITELY WORTH BUYING -

the FULL LIST can be seen between the two RED lines below -

if you DON"T see it between the two RED lines -
    it DOESN'T WORK - and would be a total WASTE of money -

READY?

here ya go -

-------------------------------------------------
    -------------------------------------------------

"but there is nothing there" you say -

and I reply - "CORRECT" -
    "there is NOTHING you can add-on - bolt-on - screw-on -
    glue-on - tape-on - paint-on - rub-on - pour-in - pour-on - pour-over -
    or remove-from - that will increase your power by a fraction of one horsepower -
    OR increase your gas mileage by even one FOOT per gallon -

and as far as improving handling -
    get a "sticky" set of tires -
    if you really feel the need to throw the Eldo around -

my advice -
    you have a 4000# Touring Sedan -
    LOVE and ENJOY the car for what it IS -
    don't BLAME the car for what it ISN'T -
    Lifer likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.