detail engine compartment
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, detail engine compartment in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; hello all, Just curious what is the best way to detail the engine compartment. In the old days with older ...
    twrtoad is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 eldorado

detail engine compartment

hello all,
    Just curious what is the best way to detail the engine compartment. In the old days with older vehicles I would just soak it with simple green, let it soak a bit and hose it off. This kept all connectors clean, biodegradable, and never hurt anything. I am reluctant to do it with this vehicle because there is just so much computer stuff I dont want to fry something. the vehicle is a 97 eldorado etc not sure if it matters though.
    thank you
    Jim

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: detail engine compartment

Time, patience, beer, brushes, rags, long sticks, fuzzy hobby pipe cleaners, spray bottles of mild dish detergent mix and plain water.

Your engine has a large valley and the intake manifold does NOT seal the valley and starter motor. As you posted, lots of electrical connections - supposedly weatherproof. The alternator, down low on the laft side (front) of the engine is particularly vulnerable to spray and oil drippings from sloppy Oil Doodle employees.

Your call.

Dadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 Kia Optima SX 2013 Kia Optima SXL

twrtoad, your old method is what I do with all my vehicles. I use simple Green, mixed three parts water and one part cleaner. I spray down the engine and let it sit for several minutes. I will repeat this several times if necessary. I then mix up some car wash soap and use a Daytona Speed wheel brush to clean everywhere. I then use a soft spray from the hose to wash it all away. Have been doing this with all of my vehicles for years and have had no issues do to this procedure.

Don

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by twrtoad View Post
    In the old days with older vehicles I would just soak it with simple green, let it soak a bit and hose it off.
    It can't be THAT dirty. There is not that much that shows. Gently hose off the wheel house's and fire wall and wipe down the silver beauty cover and it should look close to what it did when it was new.

twrtoad is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 eldorado

hello,
    this is true it is not that dirty, I just plan on this weekend lifting the hood, and giving everything a decent cleaning. i just tend to find it is easier to spot problems when it is clean versus dusty. I have been that way with all my vehicles. about once a month go through and check everything, keep it running good
    Jim

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.