Rpm rises as turning steering wheel
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Rpm rises as turning steering wheel in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I don't know if this is normal... I've only driven a few different cars so I have to ask. At ...
    eldorado_sean is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 98' Eldorado ESC
    I don't know if this is normal... I've only driven a few different cars so I have to ask. At a stand still whenever I turn my wheel, quarter turn or full lock to lock turn my rpm rises 100-300 rpms.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx), '04 DTS & the witch driver gone.

Re: Rpm rises as turning steering wheel

Quote Originally Posted by eldorado_sean View Post
    ....At a stand still whenever I turn my wheel, quarter turn or full lock to lock turn my rpm rises 100-300 rpms.
    That is exactly as the GM/Cadillac engineers intended. In all the years I have been reading several Cadillac forums, yours is the first post I've seen regarding the RPM bump (300 RPM is the high side of the correction) when the steering wheel is turned while the vehicle is not moving.

That condition can be expected during parallel parking maneuvers (who parallel parks in 2013?). The power steering fluid pressure requirement is maximum when the vehicle is not moving. GM/Cadillac powertrain and GM/Cadillac suspension engineers decided that Cadillac drivers should not be inconvenienced by even the slightest reduction of power steering assist when the pressure requirement was the greatest. Adjusting the idle speed was the method of preventing the idle RPM from sagging due to the heavy load imposed by the power steering pump.

Congratulations on being observant enough to notice.

eldorado_sean is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 98' Eldorado ESC
    I'm not sure if its sarcasm or you're actually congratulating me. Hehe and is there a way to delete a post that you wrote?

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Only mods can delete posts and threads.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Rpm rises as turning steering wheel

JimD is NEVER sarcastic. He is dead nuts factual, no smoke.

Which post, and where is it - the delete question.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.