URPAS (rear parking assist system) Added
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SwampeastMike
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, URPAS (rear parking assist system) Added in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; With some horse trading and assistance from forum member N*Caddy I have a fully functioning, factory URPAS system in my ...
    SwampeastMike is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 99 STS, White Diamond

URPAS (rear parking assist system) Added

With some horse trading and assistance from forum member N*Caddy I have a fully functioning, factory URPAS system in my '99 STS. Not the easiest thing but definitely doable.

If you want to do the same, here are some tips:

1) You will need these things from almost any 2000-2004 or so GM vehicle with the system: The four sensors and full harness. The URPAS module and wiring harness clips. The telltale indicator that mounts in the center of the back window. A 2000+ RIM (rear integration module). Electrical connectors to the RIM--the part numbers for the bodies are 12084945 and 12110088. At least seven Micro 100 small-gauge female sockets part number 12146447 unless you've clipped off these connectors and plan to splice. Electrical schematics for both your car and from one where the URPAS system was available.
    Also some length of wiring harness cut from a junk car if you want to keep colors the same

2) There is plenty of room to mount the sensors in the factor locations as nothing is in the way.

3) For the URPAS module inputs, you can make pigtail splices (carefully strip insulation only from a short section of wire, wrap with new wire, solder and tape) for power, ground and vehicle speed sensor from the harnesses leading to the RIM and CVRSS (variable suspension) modules. I'm almost certain that the wiring for the CVRSS will be there even if you have an SLS without the variable suspension. The last input you need to the URPAS module (the backup light circuit) is available on the other side (driver side) of the trunk in the harness leading into the trunk lid.

4) Other than the telltale, the only output from the URPAS module is for audio and it runs to the RIM location.

5) With the complete rear seat, rear headrests, sail panels and rear assist handles (in the headliner) removed you can drop the headliner enough to cut the hole in the headliner for the telltale. If you have a factory sunroof (like I do) be aware there there is a magnet glued to the headliner substrate in the exact position where the telltale should be mounted. Trust me here if you have the factory sunroof. Forget about the original magnet and get a small, powerful rare earth magnet that you glue to the telltale body in a position where it will contact the narrow metal bar you see above! I'm not sure what you will encounter if you don't have the sunroof but something tells me it will be easier

6) You cannot simply replace your existing RIM module that has the audio input for the URPAS system with a 2000+. Why? You will loose your gas gauge! You must install a second RIM module! This is why you need the RIM connector bodies and the female sockets! For the second RIM module this worked for me: From the original RIM harness I tapped into both (battery and ignition) powers, both grounds and ran the new URPAS audio input to connector #1. Connector #2 has only the infamous purple (main data) wire. Cut either wire leading to B3 or B4 pins of the original RIM and loop to pins B3 and B4 of the new RIM. This is a "one-wire" communication system so it does not matter where you tap in as long as you maintain a continuous loop.

7) If the sensors are not your body color, carefully sand off most of the paint before repainting. If the paint is too thick they will not work properly.
    N*Caddy likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    My car has a factory sunroof and URPAS. They didn't bother putting a magnet in the telltale. I wouldn't worry about support there, that area of the headliner is strong.

SwampeastMike is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 99 STS, White Diamond

Re: URPAS (rear parking assist system) Added

My headliner definitely droops without the magnet at the center rear.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.