2004 SLS P0717 - ISS sensor need help with finding location.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 2004 SLS P0717 - ISS sensor need help with finding location. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; im trying to change input speed sensor and need to know if i have to drop the whole tranny to ...
    mikee2004 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 cadillac seville sls

2004 SLS P0717 - ISS sensor need help with finding location.

im trying to change input speed sensor and need to know if i have to drop the whole tranny to get to the sensor. i have already taken off crank case and still cant see it. can anyone please give me a diagram possible on this issue.. dont have the cash to take it to a shop so must do it my self thanks for all the help.mike

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: 2004 SLS P0717 sensor need help with finding location.

Replacing the ISS requires transmission removal and disassembly. GM book labor time alone (in a shop with all the tools, bells, and whistles) is 12 hours.

There is a basic locator diagram in my albums - the Community tab, Albums, the red Seville. 6 pages, 115 pictures and diagrams of your car and engine.

I would suggest using the real GM service manual from www.helminc.com or try to find one on eBay. Or, subscribe the car to www.alldatadiy.com. Crankcase ??? - if you have somehow removed the oil pan (engine ???) that now requires a special reseal technique. The transmission pan and lower valve body are quite far away from the ISS. P 0717 refers to solenoid circuit faults - did you do any wiring/connector diagnosis ?

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)

Re: 2004 SLS P0717 - ISS sensor need help with finding location.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee2004 View Post
    im trying to change input speed sensor and need to know if i have to drop the whole tranny to get to the sensor.
    It is possible to lower and tilt the cradle (on long threaded rods) far enough to access the transmission side panel cover mounting bolts.

Notice I did not say it would be easy.

mikee2004 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 cadillac seville sls

thank u i just removed the tranny pan and found what looked like steel wool but copper colored what could this be? ok im at this point i dont quite know how to drop the tranny and am kinda nervous but am willing to do it with alittle help from someone. maybe someone might be able to walk me through the steps please. thank u for helping me out i just cant afford to take it to shop. So the code i got from the computer P0717 could be something besides the input speed sensor. all i did was call autozone and tell them my code and they sold me the sensor and said thats all it could be. Please help me am feeling helpless right now and need a car for family this sucks.

----------

only reason why i thought sensor would be it was because tranny started shifting hard only after warming up

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

If you found a wad of "brass wool" in the transmission pan, the ISS is not your only problem - and the least of your worries.

Whether you feel that you can or can't "afford it" you're in for some intense mechanical work if you DIY. There is not enough space in CF to walk you through transmission removal, repair, install. That's the realm of a real GM service manual and a lot of work with a very comprehensive set of tools and shop accessories.

For an idea of transmission costs for a replacement unit, Monster Transmission in Florida charges $2750 for a completely rebuilt unit with locking torque converter. Core return required, and labor is your problem.

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

The method JimD mentioned, real quick and dirty is to remove (one by one) the cradle mounting bolts and replace them with a length of threaded rod with the same thread pitch and a nut snugged up to hold the cradle in place. Then with the car jacked up, start loosening the bolts on the rods, a little on each one, but more so on the drivers side. What you are actually doing is hanging the drivetrain on those rods and tilting the drivers side to gain enough access through the wheel house. Don't go crazy if you attempt this because you still have A/C, fuel, brake lines and wiring hooked up, but I agree with Sub. Sounds like you may have bigger fish to fry that probably will require trans removal.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.