Another shimmy question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Another shimmy question in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I know, I know, you folks are tired of these damn shimmying Seville questions. But, I need a little info. ...
    Dadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 Kia Optima SX 2013 Kia Optima SXL

Another shimmy question

I know, I know, you folks are tired of these damn shimmying Seville questions. But, I need a little info. My Seville still shimmies after new tires, and road force balancing. I just noticed today, that in certain situations, the shimmy gets more pronounced, when braking. Now, the steering wheel vibrates, and I feel the shimmy, but the brake pedal does NOT pulsate at all. Does this mean I can rule out the possibility of warped rotors, and focus more on the front suspension/steering? Tie rods, struts, steering rack? What do you folks think I should attack first? Thanks

Don

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

sts96 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Another shimmy question

On my 2000 sls I was told by the dealer that all 4 rotors were warped also 1 bad motor mount and driver side tie rod bad. The after market warranty covered all but the brakes. Had the front rotors turned (just cleaned up they were not warped) it viberated as you described . problem solved.
    sts96

Thanks for the info. I am probably going to change out the tie rod ends, as they are fairly inexpensive. My biggest concern, is the brakes. I am making the assumption, that since the pedal doesn't pulsate, that the rotors aren't warped. Can someone confirm, that a warped rotor(s), will "always" cause a pedal pulsation? My experience says that this statement is true. But, if it is wrong, please inform me.

I have heard the motor mount thing, but I do not understand something. An engine, only knows RPM. So, if a mount is causing a vibration, it will occur, at a certain RPM. It will occur in first gear at that RPM, second gear at that RPM, etc. If our cars are having a problem at a certain speed, than it can't be a mount. Let's say, that the shimmy begins at 60 mph, at 1,800 rpm. If it was a mount, I should be able to feel it, in first gear, at 20 pmh, when the engine is at 1,800 rpm. This doesn't happen though. I have also never had a vehicle, that developed a vibration/shimmy, that goes away, with a higher speed. They usually get worse, the faster you go.

So, if anyone can confirm the brake question, I would really appreciate it. I am pretty good with fixing problems, just not too good with diagnosing them. Thanks

Don

sts96 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

The rotors were the shimmy problem. there was NO pedal pulsation. I pulled the rotors took them to the local shop they resurfaced them $ 10.00 each. problem cured that easy.
    sts96

Spyder is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): None now...1972 Challenger=my pride and joy.

yea, rotors can cause it, but still have no pedal pulsation. Cheap and easy to find out! Hopefully you have a parts car or secondary back up that you can run the rotors to the machine shop in, instead of having them remove them for ya...saves a few bucks!

Thanks guys. I wasn't aware that it was possible. Well, I know what i am doing this weekend. Unless it is freakin freezing out.

Don

91TexasSeville is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX-V8, 1991 Eldorado

Dadillac

Front rotors are not expensive. If the person (sales clerk) at the auto parts store is the one doing the resurface, it could cause hot spots in the rotor by taking too much metal away from an already slightly warped rotor. End result is severely warped rotors and serious pulsation when brakeing, once the thin spots begin to warp.

Just my 2¢
    Check the price of new front rotors at the parts store, chances are you can get them for $14.99 each, new. Pick up a set of high quality front brake pads to go with your new rotors. You should be good for another 3 years.

If you still have a slight shimmy problem, invest in new tie rod ends. Please get an alignment when you are done.

Murphyg is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 STS

Quote Originally Posted by 91TexasSeville
    Pick up a set of high quality front brake pads to go with your new rotors.
    When you say high quality, are you refering to the harder compound pads ?

Im asking because Ive had people tell me not to use the more expensive harder compound ones.
    They have told me that sure they do last longer. But there is a much more likely hood of them tearing up the rotors.
    My last brake job the front rotors were scored preety good. Had to machine them. Was told it was probably because of the harder pads.

Come spring I will be doing new pads and rotors all round.
    Apparently there are 3 grades of rotors to select from.
    And the 2 different compound pads.
    So the more info the better

Its something Ive heard frequently.
    Im sure there are pros and cons for both. But was wondering if there was any validity to what I'd heard about the harder compound pads ?

cguthrie is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Don't forget to to torque the lugs evenly. Apparently, it is very easy to warp the rotors w/out measuring.

Good luck!

CG
    99STS 106K

91TexasSeville is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX-V8, 1991 Eldorado

murphyg

No, when I mentioned high quality, I was making only a distinction between “house brand” and name brand pads. Pad hardness quality is up to the buyer. Some people swear by high metal content, while others simply love ceramic pads. Bargain brake pads are just that, a bargain at the time of purchase and will not likely last any length of driving distance as compared to a quality brand name.

I am not sure about rotor "grade" you referenced. There are different types and styles, like OEM, Slotted, Cross Drilled etc... but OEM (type) is sufficient as long as it is tested true at the time of manufacture. Yes, even the ones imported from China are good to use. They must pass Federal controls(numbers stamped on the rotor) to be imported and sold in the USA, so don't worry.

cguthrie
    Good Point! Proper lug nut torque is not apparent, it is fact!

Chuck McLaughlin is offline Cadillac Owners Member

i JUST WENT THROUGH THIS SHIMMY PROBLEM ON A 98 DEVILLE AND A 2000 ELDO. REPLACED THE TIE ROD ENDS. SMOOTH, SHIMMY GONE. GM IS MFG. SOME LOUSY TIE ROD ENDS.
    Cadillac Charley

Well, i went and bought two front rotors, and Raybestos QS pads tonight. One hundred and seventy three dollars later. My God, these things are expensive. I will change them tomorrow, and see how things go. I tried getting tie rod ends, as I will be right there anyway. But, the Pep Boys didn't have them. If the brake job does not cure my situation, i will get the rod ends. I will post tomorrow, with the update.

Don

Murphyg is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 STS

murphyg

No, when I mentioned high quality, I was making only a distinction between “house brand” and name brand pads. Pad hardness quality is up to the buyer. Some people swear by high metal content, while others simply love ceramic pads. Bargain brake pads are just that, a bargain at the time of purchase and will not likely last any length of driving distance as compared to a quality brand name.

I am not sure about rotor "grade" you referenced. There are different types and styles, like OEM, Slotted, Cross Drilled etc... but OEM (type) is sufficient as long as it is tested true at the time of manufacture. Yes, even the ones imported from China are good to use. They must pass Federal controls(numbers stamped on the rotor) to be imported and sold in the USA, so don't worry.

cguthrie
    Good Point! Proper lug nut torque is not apparent, it is fact!
    Very cool.
    I love it when I get clarification like that

But now I have another question........?
    “house brand” and name brand pads.
    I'm not sure as to what you are refering to....?
    Do you mean.. say.......IE:
    Raybestus as being a name brand
    &
    Motormaster as being a house brand?
    Or do you mean factory OEM/GM as being name or house ?
    And any other after market as being name or house

Brand ?

A littltle confused on this one
    Sorry :banghead2

As to the different rotor grade, I never asked about it. Dont know if it had to do with "Slotted, Cross Drilled etc..." as you said.
    I didnt even think about asking what made the difference in price.
    But then again, I was at Canadian Tire getting pads and was asking about rotor price for future reference.
    They pulled up my make and model and gave me 3 different prices.

Will surely look into that further when spring comes.

But as to the House Brand, Name Brand, for pads ???
    If you dont mind
    Im a little off on that one. :drinker

Ceramic pads Freakin expensive !

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

My daughters car just had the exact same shimy problem. She is trying to sell it and I know that will not go over well to a perspective buyer. I had just put front pads and rotors on it last summer. I pulled the brakes and the rotors where smooth but I could think of nothing else that would cause this so I took them in for a light skim cut. Now they are smooth as glass. There was obviously some uneven pad deposits on them that were not visible. Check this link out, especially the "Prevention" portion. http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/...otors_myth.htm

El Dobro is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Dadillac
    Well, i went and bought two front rotors, and Raybestos QS pads tonight. One hundred and seventy three dollars later. My God, these things are expensive. I will change them tomorrow, and see how things go. I tried getting tie rod ends, as I will be right there anyway. But, the Pep Boys didn't have them. If the brake job does not cure my situation, i will get the rod ends. I will post tomorrow, with the update.

Don
    Hey Dadillac, what about the pad sensors? Did they come with the brake pads?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.