oil pressure switch - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, oil pressure switch in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by MoistCabbage 5-10 minutes? Must be one of those hand crank hoists . --------------------------- well - that includes ...
    basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Re: oil pressure switch

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    5-10 minutes? Must be one of those hand crank hoists .
    ---------------------------
    well - that includes setting the pads - and I was being generous -

----------

Quote Originally Posted by 98cadillac View Post
    It is difficult to do without removing the oil filter and filter adapter since there's very little room to work. You'll have to drain the oil when you remove the oil filter and adapter, so yes, it would be good to plan to do an oil change at the same time.
    --------------------------------
    You'll have to drain the oil when you remove the oil filter and adapter
    why? - they are above the oil level - and will not leak -

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Yep ^^^^ No reason to drain the oil pan unless you're doing the whole oil change thing. You WILL get a cup of oil or so when you remove the filter - as always. If you're the one removing the oil filter adapter and replacing it, pre-fill the new filter before screwing it on and starting the car - a bit more oil that the pump does not have to move in order to build pressure in the system again.

jake99seville is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 seville sls
    Could this be an intermittent code that sets off the SES light? Because car passed nys inspection today!!

The SES icon illuminates in response to an emissions-related fault. The "Oil pressure Low - Stop Engine" message is a mechanical non-emissions fault.

The EPA could care less whether or not you blow up the engine - they're number crunchers and want stupidly low "emissions" figures. It's a bureaucracy that needs to justify its existence (and California is one of their banner-wavers).

IF you have an emissions code - or if you casually "clear codes" - the diagnostics system says "Not ready" to an emissions test set. If you fix the emissions fault it takes a week or so of normal start-run-stop-start-run-stop commuting to have the system check everything and set a "ready" flag for the test set. Yes, you can get dedicated and perform a "GM Drive Cycle" but that's nearly impossible for a city-near suburban driver.

A fault occurs, a code sets as Current. If the fault is emissions related the next time the fault sets it illuminates the SES icon. If you fix the fault and do not clear codes the icon will extinguish after 3 successful start-run cycles during which the fault does not occur and the code goes to History. Depending on module, the code disappears after 30, 40, 50 or 100 successful start-run cycles.

98cadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Seville STS

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    Yep ^^^^ No reason to drain the oil pan unless you're doing the whole oil change thing. You WILL get a cup of oil or so when you remove the filter - as always. If you're the one removing the oil filter adapter and replacing it, pre-fill the new filter before screwing it on and starting the car - a bit more oil that the pump does not have to move in order to build pressure in the system again.
    In that case, I just learned something new. When I change my oil, I first drain the pan by removing the bolt, then I remove the filter and oil comes out of the filter adapter. I thought that it was oil that remained in the pan, but I guess I was wrong.

The top chamber of the oil filter and the adapter itself holds just enough oil to make a real mess if you don't carefully slide that dishpan under it as you remove the filter.

I usually wear a pair of those Playtex yellow rubber gloves - large - and have no problems with heat or a slippery filter.

I come back from a road run screamer, put the front up on stands and pop the hood. Assemble all my oils and toys within arm's reach and have at it. After a hot road run all the nasties are suspended in the oil so everything drains out the (lower rear side) of the pan with the front up on stands, and the time between jacking the car and actually beginning the oil drain allows the hot oil to drain from the heads and block sides back into the pan. About a cup to a cup and a half of oil remains in the various block, crank, head, and oil feed passages, so the recommended 7.5 quarts on a simple oil/filter change puts the level at just the right (middle) spot on the dipstick (car back on the ground.)

On a cool/cold day - scatter those quart oil bottles around on top of the engine - by the time you get done with the oil drain/filter change, the new oil will be warm and will pour easily.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

In that case, I just learned something new. When I change my oil, I first drain the pan by removing the bolt, then I remove the filter and oil comes out of the filter adapter. I thought that it was oil that remained in the pan, but I guess I was wrong.
    The top chamber of the oil filter and the adapter itself holds just enough oil to make a real mess if you don't carefully slide that dishpan under it as you remove the filter.
    One way to prevent that (if you really want to) is to get an awl and punch a hole in the bottom of the filter. Once it bleeds out you can remove it without any mess.

98cadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Seville STS

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    One way to prevent that (if you really want to) is to get an awl and punch a hole in the bottom of the filter. Once it bleeds out you can remove it without any mess.
    I just use a pair of elbow length rubber gloves that I keep for the purpose. I reinstall the pan bolt, then move the catch container under the filter before I remove it.

2manyhotrods is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 Eldorado ETC coupe.

Changed the oil pressure switch on my '99 Eldorado ETC last week. Needed the lift a, common 1 1/16" deep 3/8"drive socket, a very short extension, my 3/8" drive ratchet, a corresponding 1 1/16" open end wrench, lots of rags, some brake cleaner, a thin blade screw driver and about 2 hours plus of patience and very slow progress.
    I did not remove the adapter but I did drop the filter and changed the oil.
    My hands are fairly small and I'm not a professional GM tech., just a weekend hobbyist.
    Yes, it a tight area, further crowded by the front lower engine mount. Big hands wont fit in there and be careful when unsnapping the electrical connector on the sender.
    I would give the dealer the job if I could do it over.
    Last tip...........do it when the engine is cool. I didn't, but it was stone cold when I finished the job.

2manyhotrods is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 Eldorado ETC coupe.
    I'm pondering changing the low oil level sender as well.
    Can't really determine if it's the level sender or the crank seal as the entire area shows oil soaking.
    It's greatly improved by changing the pressure switch. Instead of a puddle under it on the garage floor it's now only 2 or 3 drip spots.

rodnok01 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
    The low oil level sensor is easy to change out. Just pick it up and do next oil change.

Gonna change it today or tomorrow hut just wondering if oil is oil? Meaning does it matter what brand? And I only use full synthetic oil. What is the recommended oil for my 99 Seville SLS? 5w-20 or what should I use?

Your owner's manual calls for 10W-30 year 'round. Whatever type floats your boat. I like a WIX 51522 oil filter, prefilled and quite hand-tight. Exactly 7.5 quarts of oil is correct and the level should be here on the dipstick after the job is done, engine tested, and then allowed to sit for 5 minutes.

<=== ADD XXXXXXXXXX OPERATING RANGE ======================oo========================== ======O

Most Ford cars and light trucks run 5W-20. Northstars after 1999 run 5W-30 (roller cams).

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by jake99seville View Post
    Gonna change it today or tomorrow hut just wondering if oil is oil?
    Yes

Meaning does it matter what brand?
    No. Except for marketing hype, they're all the same.

Fixed my oil pressure switch found out that who ever did my oil change last didn't hook the it back up.... son's!!!
    Tried to change the oil too but they must've torqued it on with something...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.