Head gasket question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Head gasket question in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Okay, so my stupid brother absolutely insists that I CAN change my head gasket(s) without removing the engine. (97'Eldorado.) When ...
    geegeeburr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Eldorado

Head gasket question

Okay, so my stupid brother absolutely insists that I CAN change my head gasket(s) without removing the engine. (97'Eldorado.) When I tell him that, no, I can't he says, "Which gasket is it? Do you even know?" No, I don't. And he says, well, you should find out before you decide that you can't do it. Soooo, now if I don't find out, he will ride me about it for the rest of my natural life, and probably later, after he dies and comes back to haunt me, stupid brother. So can anyone tell me how I might go about finding out which head gasket is bad, assuming ignorance of engines, but handiness with tools? Would it have to do with checking the spark plugs? Thank you for your time. (And actually he's really smart and great with mechanical stuff, he's just a gigantic PITA, which is what makes him a "stupid" brother.)

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Re: Head gasket question

actually -
    the head gaskets - and head bolt holes CAN be repaired without removing then engine -

and it doesn't matter which gasket is actually bad -
    because NO ONE would ever do just one side -

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

the answer to this question is much longer than i have time to write up right now but for brevity's sake lets just say this

yes, your brother is correct
    you can change out a headgasket in a northstar without removing the engine

why does everyone remove the engine when doing a headgasket job on a northstar powered car?
    it's much easier

and lets hope that you can drill and tap those read heads while it's still in there
    also note: if you plan on studding the block instead of just using bigserts or normserts installing the rear head over the studs will be almost impossible (or maybe even impossible)

the main point is that there's so much work involved that it's much easier and safer to remove the engine

also note that nobody just replaces the gaskets ... you have to drill and tap and then insert or stud

and if you do take the engine out then you'll have tons of space to do lower gasket work too and make sure there's no leaks at all

all of this runs along the lines of the "if you're going to do it, do it right" line of thinking

and really ... this is the short version

the long version is posted time and time again in thread after thread here on these forums ... just do some digging and read up
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Thanks, Basscatt and Chris.

Basscatt, why would you never do only one side?

Chris, I actually read about all of those various methods, the studding, and the Norm method, and the timeserts. Being handy in a workshop and experienced with tools, and having read the directions on the kit, I actually think I would be able to do the Norm method just fine, but there's no way in heck that I can remove the engine.

So, just so that I can make my big brother cut it out-- The reason that you would NEVER do just the gaskets, is because if the gaskets are failing, it's automatically assumed that the bolts are already stripped, is that right?

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

If you keep the engine in you can only use Normserts, studs need more room for installation thus requiring engine removal.

OK - the short version -

the underlying problem is the threads in the block fail -
    the head bolts can't keep the correct torque/tension on the head -
    the head gasket fails -

each cylinder head has 10 bolts that hold it down -

Basscatt, why would you never do only one side?
    if the threads failed on one side of the motor -
    wouldn't you think it could happen to the other side?

Okay, I gotcha. Basically, the only reason why the head gaskets fail is if the bolt threads are failing/have failed already. Which brings you back to the larger problem of having to fix all the bolts. Thanks!

Vincent, are you sure you can do the Norm version with the engine in? The whole reason I discarded the idea of trying the Norm fix is because I know there's no way I can remove and replace the whole engine. I read that it's nearly impossible to drill out the holes properly and put in the inserts if the engine is still in.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    It's MUCH more of a headache doing it with the engine in place. Inserts are possible, studs are NOT.

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)

Quote Originally Posted by geegeeburr View Post
    Okay, I gotcha. Basically, the only reason why the head gaskets fail is if the bolt threads are failing/have failed already.
    That is the Reader's Digest version of the issue. Or the urban mythology slash Internet mythology version of the truth (facts). An untruth repeated often enough becomes the truth.

Which brings you back to the larger problem of having to fix all the bolts.
    More to the point, it is the threaded bolt holes in the block that require attention. GM/Cadillac (Northstar) Service Manuals recommend the head bolts NOT be reused AND the block threads be "refreshed" (my terminology) with TimeSerts: No matter why the head bolts are removed!

Supposedly viable alternatives to TimeSerts have been marketed. Your money + your car = your choice.

The whole reason I discarded the idea of trying the Norm fix is because I know there's no way I can remove and replace the whole engine. I read that it's nearly impossible to drill out the holes properly and put in the inserts if the engine is still in.
    The threads I have followed about NOT dropping the engine to refresh the block threads did not include a follow-up post 50,000 miles later. Faced with the inevitability of replacing the head gaskets on a Northstar, I would pay an experienced Northstar technician to drop the engine and perform the job properly. Per the Service Manual.

Again, your money + your car = your choice.

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Okay, I gotcha. Basically, the only reason why the head gaskets fail is if the bolt threads are failing/have failed already. Which brings you back to the larger problem of having to fix all the bolts. Thanks!
    It the chicken or the egg theory. Did the HG leak first causing coolant (electrolyte) to corrode the threads or did the threads pull causing the heads to loose clamping pressure, thus allowing coolant (electrolyte) to enter the threads and cause the corrosion . It's been beaten too death with no conclusive answer.

Vincent, are you sure you can do the Norm version with the engine in? The whole reason I discarded the idea of trying the Norm fix is because I know there's no way I can remove and replace the whole engine. I read that it's nearly impossible to drill out the holes properly and put in the inserts if the engine is still in.
    Actually any "insert" (Norms or Timesert) can be done in the car, as mentioned with great difficulty, but you need a 90 degree angle drill due to firewall clearance (and LOTS of patience).

------------------------
    I read that it's nearly impossible to drill out the holes properly
    and put in the inserts if the engine is still in.

it takes a right-angle drill -
    but it IS a royal pain -

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

why would you never do only one side?
    Because no one wants to do this job twice.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Plus, not always avgood way to tell which side is leaking, if not both anyway.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)
    In my opinion a right angle drill in tight quarters is not an acceptable way to perform this repair. Especially for a first timer like yourself. You're risking a lot.
    basscatt likes this.
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    Especially for a first timer like yourself. You're risking a lot.
    Well, I can't argue with you on that, but at least now I have more information and a better understanding of the options, which is always a good thing.

Thanks, guys, food for thought!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.