Head gasket question - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Head gasket question in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by geegeeburr ....Then I found out the manifold cover is what I thought were the coils, and the ...
    JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx), '04 DTS & the witch driver gone.

Re: Head gasket question

Quote Originally Posted by geegeeburr View Post
    ....Then I found out the manifold cover is what I thought were the coils, and the coils don't look like coils at all, but more like squares. Sigh.
    Just to muddy the terminology waters a little.

Automobile parts terminology can be confusing and/or misleading and usually has more to do with form than function. The term 'coil' is the commonly accepted contraction of 'ignition coil' which reveals no clue as to the function of the part.

The function of what the automobile industry calls an 'ignition coil' is the same as what the science of electricity (which predates horseless buggy technology be several lifetimes) identifies as a transformer. The name transformer suggests something is being changed from one form to another and that is exactly what a transformer (ignition coil) does.

What is changed is your vehicle's battery voltage from 12V to a value high enough to jump or arc over the 0.050" spark plug gap under 10X atmospheric pressure conditions. From 12V to something in excess of 20,000V.

If you notice the cylindrical device bolted to the top of your neighborhood utility poles, that is a transformer and in automobile speak it would be a coil.

Don't get me started on shock absorbers commonly called shocks.

Are we muddy yet??

geegeeburr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Eldorado

Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    Don't get me started on shock absorbers commonly called shocks.

Are we muddy yet??
    Do they not absorb shocks? (Albeit the physical, not electrical, kind?)

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Yes, they absorb shock, but are not themselves "shocks". Shock (absorbers) and struts are also called dampers, as they damp wheel/body motion.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

geegee, You NEED to read the thread I created for you - ".050" spark plug gap". Close to this one.

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx), '04 DTS & the witch driver gone.

Quote Originally Posted by geegeeburr View Post
    Do they not absorb shocks? (Albeit the physical, not electrical, kind?)
    The springs in an automobile suspension system are intended to smooth out the ride and isolate the passengers/cargo from every rut and bump on ''rough" road surfaces. No doubt you have seen photos or sketches of pioneers headed west from St. Louis, and frequently you see all the humans walking beside the wagon rather than riding in the wagon. Why are they walking for mile after endless mile when there are teams of horses capable of moving the wagon? Those wagons had no springs between the axles and the passenger/cargo container. Today the Interstate system mileage from St. Louis to the front range (Denver) is approximately 850 miles and many of those pioneers continued on west from there. Walking.

Unfortunately, springs under compression or tension load tend to oscillate around their 'at rest' position when the load is removed. Spring oscillation in an automobile suspension system must be damped as quickly and effectively as possible for safety reasons as well as ride comfort. Enter the hydraulic oscillation damper A.K.A. shock absorber.

Semantics, I know. Oscillation damper supplies a clue to what the device is really intended to accomplish. Shock absorber leaves you wondering about the source of the shock that is being absorbed.
    geegeeburr likes this.

IF one were going to try to do a Normsert with the engine still in the car, using a right angle drill, would that drill need to be air-powered? Or would a cordless powered by a 20-v litium ion battery be strong enough? Those lith-ion tools seem to pack a pretty good punch, IMO. At least, into wood. Mind you, that's only IF someone was gonna try it.

If you attempt the job you will need all the reliable drill power you can muster, so go with 117 VAC power and a healthy drill. Personally, I would not recommend trying to insert the block in the car......... and you'll need to do some very dedicated tape/cardboard sealing of EVERY hole, large and small, except the bolt holes. Aluminum chips will go everywhere, and you'll use a ton of air while blowing your hole work clean.

Get into the stickys and threads in Engines, Northstar Performance for a hint of what you'll be up against. Find threads by Speedygman, JoeTahoe, AJxtcman and others in the NP stickys.

Thanks, Sub.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

You'd need a pretty big compressor to run a pneumatic drill. I'm with Sub, I'd prefer a corded electric drill.

I just asked that because whenever I'm at a mechanic, they always seem to be using pneumatic tools.

Personally, I much prefer cordless- the only thing I run on the compressor are my nailers. I was hoping someone would give me an excuse to buy this really awesome 20v lithium-ion drill and driver set that was on clearance at Home Depot. They just happened to have an angle drill with the same batteries. My old 18v sets are big and bulky and not holding a charge so well any more.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Shops have HUGE compressors that will run anything.

A sale is as good as any reason to buy a new tool. Never pass one up. That said, for this application, I think you'd run down the battery long before you finished.

maeng9981 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 SRX, 12 Sierra, 00 SLS, 99 Deville 50-year Anniversary
    Use a corded drill. Aluminum is soft but it's a metal after all.

rodnok01 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
    Yea corded have more options, more power, max speed limiter, depth stop etc.
    Don't get me wrong, love the cordless I have and for a lot of things it is better.
    Air drills are ok but not crazy about them myself for diy jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    That said, for this application, I think you'd run down the battery long before you finished.
    .....one hole.

(I fixed it)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.