evap temps
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, evap temps in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; been reading about a/c issues for a long time. my vent temps are so-so. evap outlet under hood is ice ...
    stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 03 STS

evap temps

been reading about a/c issues for a long time. my vent temps are so-so. evap outlet under hood is ice cold. almost frosty. vent/dash/floor vents are all the same. kinda cold. certainly not icy. i took off glove box and checked blend door linkage. adjusting temp from cold/hot cycles linkage from full open to full closed. no in between. is this normal with motor off but key on? i assume linkage moves in increments when motor is running? i thought perhaps blend door is not fully closed with a/c on? did not try it with motor running

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: evap temps

The degree of open or closed is going to vary based on the requested cabin temperature compared to the actual cabin temperature. That said, 60 will always be full closed and 90 will always be full open.

As for the evap pipes on the firewall, they should be the same temperature and I think that should be near 35F.

Who removes glovebox to observe blend door operation while driving? Or even messing with a/c operation? I think when a/c is on, blend door is fully closed. Does setting a/c to 68 or 70 slightly crack open blend door? Or does it just cycle compressor less often?

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Quote Originally Posted by stoveguyy View Post
    Who removes glovebox to observe blend door operation while driving? Or even messing with a/c operation? I think when a/c is on, blend door is fully closed. Does setting a/c to 68 or 70 slightly crack open blend door? Or does it just cycle compressor less often?
    -------------------------------
    our compressors are designed to be either always on or always off -
    and have "variable displacement" to adjust the stroke of the pistons -
    they do not cycle like the old R12 systems did -

and YES - to adjust the temperature inside the car -
    it is a balancing act between the MIX doors - and RECIRCULATE door -

the RECIRCULATE door allows - or restricts outside air -
    at 60* and 90* the RECIRCULATE door is fully closed -
    so no outside air is allowed in -

the MIX or blend door guides air across the heater core or evaporator -
    to adjust the cabin temp -

Who removes glovebox to observe blend door operation while driving? Or even messing with a/c operation?
    Well, no one, but you said "i took off glove box and checked blend door linkage. adjusting temp from cold/hot cycles linkage from full open to full closed. no in between. is this normal?" . That was what I responded to.

Does setting a/c to 68 or 70 slightly crack open blend door?
    The amount it opens is dependent on the amount of heat (or cooling) needed to achieve the requested cabin temperature. If the cabin is at 70 and you ask for 75, it's gonna just open a little. If it is -10 and you ask for 70 it's going full open. Think of how the throttle plate acts in relationship to how much power you ask for via the accelerator.

Or does it just cycle compressor less often?
    Bass got that one.

Well, no codes means nothing is wrong. I think evap temp is ok but I think vent temps are less than ok. Must be low freon charge since I replaced compressor last yr. it's always freon.

What exactly are your vent temps when set at 60 Deg and what is the outside temperature when you measure this?

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Bass got that one.
    Google "waterbury speed gear".

I can check temps. So if temp is set to max cool, than recirc is closed, even though recirc light doesn't show? Or does it show? Never used recirc in my life. This is mn, not Florida or texas. Oh and I always set temp to max cool.

Yes, MAX uses thr RECIRC door to mostly shut off outside air intake.

RECIRC can be used to either aid cooling/heating efficiency (think about it) or to temporarily reduce outside air intake in dusty or odiferous locations.

Most of these Cadillac HVAC systems do not use total recirc - there's always a slight amount of outside air bled into the car, and the system never totally shuts down when you turn it off - flow through the car remains and the system will attempt to maintain the last set temp in the controls.

Depending on year/model, some have a RECIRC and A/C OFF buttons; others don't.

82f ambient. Started car. Got 35f at evap outlet. Dash was 55f. After moving thermocouple around from dash to evap I went back to evap and now it's sitting at 50f. Compressor is cycling on/off occasionally. I turn a/c on/off and hear clutch and tried recirc button and no change in dash temp. Why the 35f at startup but now it's 50f? Condenser fans are running at low speed and did speed up to high for 10 secs but seem to stay at low. Hmm, maybe after 10 mins, system stabilizes and my charge is actually low?

Your vent discharge temps are remarkable for a R134a system. Drive the car and don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

82f ambient. Started car. Got 35f at evap outlet. Dash was 55f.
    Can't ask for much more.

So if temp is set to max cool, than recirc is closed, even though recirc light doesn't show?
    If your car has been backing in 85F degree heat, the cabin is probably close to 100. When you start the car and turn on the A/C, I think it goes into recirc mode for a while.

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

82f ambient. Started car. Got 35f at evap outlet. Dash was 55f. After moving thermocouple around from dash to evap I went back to evap and now it's sitting at 50f. Compressor is cycling on/off occasionally. I turn a/c on/off and hear clutch and tried recirc button and no change in dash temp. Why the 35f at startup but now it's 50f? Condenser fans are running at low speed and did speed up to high for 10 secs but seem to stay at low. Hmm, maybe after 10 mins, system stabilizes and my charge is actually low?
    ----------------------------
    with a perfect running system - and 82* ambient -
    pressures should be -
    30 to 32PSI low -
    175 to 200 PSI high

and 42* or less duct temp -
    at the center vent -
    with the temp set to 60*
    fan set to medium speed -
    at a high - 1500 rpm idle -

Compressor is cycling on/off
    you are probably low on freon -

----------------
    the RECIRCULATING system either allows or prevents outside air into the cabin -
    at temperatures at both 60 and 90 - the recirculate door is automatically closed -
    so only cabin air is "conditioned" - the same if you manually choose it -

any other time the recirculate door is opened to balance the temperature -

Car was in garage before test. put the thermocouple on evap outlet tube in engine compartment and got 35f to begin with when i first turned on a/c. I backed out into driveway to run a/c. After 5min or so, I checked evap tube again and it was 50f. I only ran car for 10 min or so. And vent temps stayed at 55f, approx. which is not great in my mind. Car was not hot or sitting in sun before test started

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.