1999 SLS Left Turn Signal
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 1999 SLS Left Turn Signal in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I just bought a '99 Seville SLS from my brother. Car has been sitting for the winter. He said when ...
    JSaunders is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '99 Seville SLS

1999 SLS Left Turn Signal

I just bought a '99 Seville SLS from my brother. Car has been sitting for the winter. He said when he parked it everything worked fine. The left turn signal front and rear do not work. The bulbs both work. They light up. The right side turn signals do work. The hazard lights only work for the right side. You use the turn signal for the left side they dont blink. The cornering light turns on the turn signals are on but no blinking. THe light on the dash doesnt light up either or blink. You can hear the clicking very faint unlike the right side that can be heard loud and clear. What could be the problem. By my research there is only one flasher module for both sides so wouldnt both sides not work if that failed.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: 1999 SLS Left Turn Signal

"Light up" - as in: light up when the parking lights are turned on or light up (BRIGHTLY) when the turn signal stalk is pulled to left turn ? (but no flash)

JimD or N*Caddy will know for sure, but I think the turn signal "clicker" is actually a sound reproduced through the sound system dash speaker(s).

Study the sticky post just above this - "How to pull codes" - Your car has its own built-in diagnostic code reader/scanner/memory. There may be an electrical or body code set. Use the proper section for your car/year group/button push sequence.

Google "cadillac forums 1999 seville turn signal problems) and see what that turns up.

Read the entire Cadillac Technical Archive way up ^^^ in the black bar for other necessary info. Page through threads of interest in Discussions, Item Specific: Cadillac Technical Tips.

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

JimD or N*Caddy will know for sure, but I think the turn signal "clicker" is actually a sound reproduced through the sound system dash speaker(s).
    I thought that was from the flasher.

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    "Light up" - as in: light up when the parking lights are turned on or light up (BRIGHTLY) when the turn signal stalk is pulled to left turn ? (but no flash)

Study the sticky post just above this - "How to pull codes" - Your car has its own built-in diagnostic code reader/scanner/memory. There may be an electrical or body code set. Use the proper section for your car/year group/button push sequence.

Google "cadillac forums 1999 seville turn signal problems) and see what that turns up.

Read the entire Cadillac Technical Archive way up ^^^ in the black bar for other necessary info. Page through threads of interest in Discussions, Item Specific: Cadillac Technical Tips.
    The front left yellow turn signal lights up with the parking lights, when I turn the turn signal on the left cornering light lights up the yellow turn signal stays solid. The back left turn signal doesnt even turn on. I checked the bulb in the back and its a good bulb. I even switched the bulb wiring from the left side to the right to check and see if the wiring was messed up but the right continued to work.

----------

Pulled codes and only one code was current relating to the ambient air temperature sensor

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)

Quote Originally Posted by JSaunders View Post
    The back left turn signal doesnt even turn on. I checked the bulb in the back and its a good bulb.
    Did you check the bulb with an ohmmeter?
    Do the left side turn signals flash when the Hazard switch is ON?
    Have you checked the LF and LR turn signal bulb sockets for corrosion or burned contacts?
    Have you measured for a pulsing voltage at either the LF or LR turn signal bulb socket contacts?

I even switched the bulb wiring from the left side to the right to check and see if the wiring was messed up but the right continued to work.
    I don't understand what you are doing or how you "switched the bulb wiring....".

Aztec ETC ECS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC ECS#533, '05 Escalade, '05 AWD Magnum, '74 455 OLDS

The turn signal/hazard flasher module has in & out wire for both sides separately.
    >>>It's part of the hazard switch.<<<
    I had one with the same symptoms and just moved the connector on the back of the switch & it worked.
    Could also need changing.

Quote Originally Posted by Aztec ETC ECS View Post
    The turn signal/hazard flasher module has in & out wire for both sides separately. It's part of the hazard switch.
    I had one with the same symptoms and just moved the connector on the back of the switch & it worked.
    Could also need changing.
    Where is this located and would that also make the left side turn signals not work when the alarm is going off.

I edited the location above to make it more noticeable.
    And I suppose it could affect the alarm flash too.

Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    Did you check the bulb with an ohmmeter?
    Do the left side turn signals flash when the Hazard switch is ON?
    Have you checked the LF and LR turn signal bulb sockets for corrosion or burned contacts?
    Have you measured for a pulsing voltage at either the LF or LR turn signal bulb socket contacts?

I don't understand what you are doing or how you "switched the bulb wiring....".
    No I have no checked the bulbs with an ohmmeter as i do not have one. The front bulbs all work, the turn signal bulb lights up with the DRLs and the cornering light lights up when the turn signal is activated no flashing on dash or bulb and the rear doesnt turn on.

No the hazard switch doesnt make the left side blinkers work either, they also dont work when the alarm is sounding off.

I have checked the rear for corrosion/burned contacts, havent on front yet but all the front lights are working.

I do not have any electrical measuring devices to check any of that.

What i meant about switching the bulb wiring from was on the rear lights the sockets and the short bit of wiring into the trunk. I switched the left and right side (to see if it was part of that) and the right continued to work. And the left still didnt work

----------

I edited the location above to make it more noticeable.
    And I suppose it could affect the alarm flash too.
    Is the actual switch and the module seperate or would i have to buy a new switch also.

^It's one unit.
    Don't buy a new one 'til you're sure.

SO I would need to buy a new hazard switch and that includes the flasher module. http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...=hazard+switch . It is easy to just get that part of the dash out or would i have to take the whole thing apart

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Talk to Chris in parts at Rippy Cadillac over there >>>>>>

Leave the Advance parts for the ricer crowd.

Look at www.alldatadiy.com - subscribe the car - the GM service manuals plus so much more that you need a home study course to find it all.

My father-in-law is a mechanic so Ill let him do it. found http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER for less than any part store in my area. By my research Im going to guess that this is the issue as the left side doesnt work at all, not even on the dashboard.

$53 is better than $147 but I would still do the "wiggle" test first.

$53 is better than $147 but I would still do the "wiggle" test first.
    Yah I will once I get into the dash to try it I will but I have to wait till sunday to get into it. No parts store has any on had so I rather have one on hand if the wiggle test doesnt work first. Unless you can point any easy way of getting to the wires to test it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.