What's the difference between GM Parts & aftermarket?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, What's the difference between GM Parts & aftermarket? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; So I'm on this other Caddy site reading a highly detailed write up on the coming out party of the ...
    rydamee is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS 3.6DI/2001 Cadillac Seville SLS

What's the difference between GM Parts & aftermarket?

So I'm on this other Caddy site reading a highly detailed write up on the coming out party of the 2000 SLS. I knew there was a reason I fell in love. That read melted my heart for the 2000+ Seville. I went to that site y'all recommended to check the build sheet. I learned that I have the FE1 soft ride suspension, 8DJ/9DJ rear comp susp & 6BK/7BK Spring Comp Select FRT LH/RH SUSP. Oh yeah, my question. What's the difference between GM & say, partsgeek? I noticed that geek has, say, a-arms ranging $150-$50. Same with hubs. Knowing that there's a quality difference, will I be able to replicate the entire suspension w/out getting GM Parts? Opting that I get the higher priced parts from the geek. Magnasteer too? I know it has air shocks in the rear. Don't know what the 6/7BK is though. Hope my question wasn't toooo convoluted. Thanks guys...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

orconn is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Re: What's the difference between GM Parts & aftermarket?

After market parts are crap. GM aftermarket arts are a better grade of crap!

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

It depends on what parts you are looking at and what company made it. Some aftermarket stuff is crap but some of it is iknockoffs of the factory stuff with improvements. And some GM/Delco parts are made by the same manufacturers the cheap stuff is only it has the more expensive name slapped on it.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)

Generally speaking, other than Timken bearings, Monroe dampers, Moog suspension parts, and a few brake parts and belt/pulley suppliers, you won't see any after market parts recommended here. Some after market labeled parts (some fuel pumps for instance) are actually the same OEM parts that the cars were built with.

There are some very good resources for getting parts, both OEM and after market: Chris at Rippy Cadillac, Rockauto, and amazon to name a few.

If you need a part, just ask before buying anything. We can recommend brands.

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

GM parts are expensive and good (just as good as the parts coming from the factory) while the aftermarket parts are cheap and very bad quality.
    Honestly I would go with replacement parts in the following order:
    1. New GM (OEM)
    2. Used GM (OEM)
    3. New aftermarket
    4. Used aftermarket (if I am stranded in a desert or somebody is pointing a gun to me giving me no choice).

Basically the warning is if it isn't labeled OEM, it won't replicate the Caddy quality, gotcha. Can anyone comment on my front suspension? I've looked at my current struts, I assume they're stock, but my build sheet says they are computer springs?(6BK/7BK)... I only see two Molex plugs behind the wheel though. One is to the brake pad sensor, the other I guess is the wheel speed sensor. I don't see any other plugs. If the car has RSS, where do I look to find the strut wires? In case they've been cut off, unbeknownst to me...

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)

Quote Originally Posted by rydamee View Post
    ....If the car has RSS, where do I look to find the strut wires? In case they've been cut off, unbeknownst to me...
    Deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by rydamee
    Basically the warning is if it isn't labeled OEM, it won't replicate the Caddy quality, gotcha.
    Incorrect.

Have you read all of the replies, or just one sentence of one?

----------

- Some after market parts, are just as good, if not better than OEM. Examples:

Timken bearings are highly recommended here. They last just as long as OEM parts.

Monroe dampers are highly recommended. They are an OEM supplier to several companies.

The EBC brake parts on my car (and several other members' cars) stop better, and produce no more dust or noise than OEM.

- AC Delco parts are made by different companies, all over the world. Examples:

The blower motor and water pump are made by Bosch.

The CKP sensors used to be made by Siemens, but were problematic. They're now made by Denso, as are several other sensors.

- Some after market labeled parts are actually OEM parts. Example:

The fuel pump is made by Delphi. Besides AC Delco, the same exact part can be found labeled under at least 2 other brand names.

- Some AC Delco parts are not OEM. Examples:

AC Delco parts for some of these cars are rebadged Gabriel Hijackers.

AC Delco labeled front ball joints for my generation Seville are not OEM. OEM ball joints only come as an assembly with lower control arms and bushings. 3 different AC Delco labeled lower control arm assemblies are available, only one of which is OEM.

Aztec ETC ECS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC ECS#533, '05 Escalade, '05 AWD Magnum, '74 455 OLDS

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    Some after market parts, are just as good, if not better than OEM.
    Yes. I use aftermarket parts every day after the customer is given the choice.
    Occasionally, I see something to cheesy to install.
    basscatt likes this.

Moistcabbage, apparently you only read one sentence from my initial post. My conversation is specifically about the suspension. Not fuel pumps, brakes, blowers or sensors. I'm trying to get that "as new" ride. I know what parts I can skimp on, things like washer fluid pumps & such. I mentioned a-arms, struts & hubs, that is what I'm concerned with. Not the extraneous gibberish that you've given. Can't believe your first sentence. Smdh...

.....I read your entire post. As I thought I made obvious, via a quote, I was responding to this sentence:

Basically the warning is if it isn't labeled OEM, it won't replicate the Caddy quality, gotcha.
    And I did not post Jiberish. I type as simply as the situation allows.

What exactly was so difficult to understand? Did my posts not point out that OEM is usually, but not always the best choice? Did you not ahnowledge my use of the word "EXAMPLE"?

I ask again: Did you read all of the replies to your question? Go read my posts again, and tell me I didn't SPECIFICALLY mention suspension components and hub bearing assemblies.

.....SMDH.

ryannel2003 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 Honda Accord EX V6. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS

2001+ SLS's do not include CVRSS suspension so you're just riding on a shock/strut suspension. This is something to be happy about as the CVRSS is much, much more expensive to replace. I think Monroe makes a good suspension for SLS's but I've never driven a car that had it.

Also is your car a 2000 or 2001? The 1998-2000 SLS's could be optioned with CVRSS while the later cars were not.

It's an '01. So the 6BK/7BK on the build sheet means normal struts... I knew it wasn't the CVRSS cuz it doesn't have the motion modules. Just thought they gave it a dumbed down version of it.

----------

Moistcabbage, am I to discern that you read my entire post just cuz you quoted my first sentence? WTH is up with the condescending tones you exhibit? If your quote pertained to what I was speaking on, getting the suspension back to "right" status, all would be good. I'm saying, who doesn't know you don't need OEM rotors & pads? I've always said, some teachers go to class to teach, others just show up to take roll call. Well sir, I'm here, present & accounted for. Thank you very much...

98cadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Seville STS

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    ...Some after market parts, are just as good, if not better than OEM....
    Airtex, for example, improved the fuel pump electrical connector from the original design (although I'm not sure if the updated OEM parts are improved as well).

I usually buy aftermarket parts for my car and have had success so far. That doesn't mean I automatically buy the cheapest aftermarket parts, though.

Moistcabbage, am I to discern that you read my entire post just cuz you quoted my first sentence?
    No, but you can discern that I read it since I answered your question.

WTH is up with the condescending tones you exhibit?
    Condescending tones?...
    .....Not the extraneous gibberish that you've given. Can't believe your first sentence. Smdh...
    I thought it was fitting.

If your quote pertained to what I was speaking on, getting the suspension back to "right" status, all would be good. I'm saying, who doesn't know you don't need OEM rotors & pads? I've always said, some teachers go to class to teach, others just show up to take roll call. Well sir, I'm here, present & accounted for. Thank you very much...
    For whatever reason, you've either missed or ignored the specific information I've posted in response to your question, and seem to be bothered by the fact that I threw in some other useful general information on after market parts.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by 98cadillac

Airtex, for example, improved the fuel pump electrical connector from the original design (although I'm not sure if the updated OEM parts are improved as well).

I usually buy aftermarket parts for my car and have had success so far. That doesn't mean I automatically buy the cheapest aftermarket parts, though.
    I believe the Airtex labeled part is actually an OEM part. Sub would know.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.