What's the difference between GM Parts & aftermarket? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, What's the difference between GM Parts & aftermarket? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; forget the 6bk/7bk RPO codes they are tuned suspension codes that don't really mean a whole lot once the car ...
    RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Re: What's the difference between GM Parts & aftermarket?

forget the 6bk/7bk RPO codes
    they are tuned suspension codes that don't really mean a whole lot once the car is built
    look for FE1 or FE3
    if you have FE3 then you should also have F45 (F45 is the CVRSS RPO code)
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

98cadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Seville STS

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    I believe the Airtex labeled part is actually an OEM part. Sub would know.
    It may be, but the electrical connector was bigger than the connector of the OEM part that croaked (meaning the one that came with my car from the factory). Perhaps the OEM part has been improved from the original design.

rydamee is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS 3.6DI/2001 Cadillac Seville SLS

Moistcabbage, I'm not bothered at all. I was just looking for a concise reply, like Chris(rippy) gave. Notice I didn't demean him or anyone else for not reading that my car has the FE1 soft ride? Because that would create gibberish remarks. Thanks for your input nonetheless... Lol smdh....

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Quote Originally Posted by 98cadillac

It may be, but the electrical connector was bigger than the connector of the OEM part that croaked (meaning the one that came with my car from the factory). Perhaps the OEM part has been improved from the original design.
    I believe it has.

Aztec ETC ECS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC ECS#533, '05 Escalade, '05 AWD Magnum, '74 455 OLDS

Quote Originally Posted by rydamee View Post
    If the car has RSS, where do I look to find the strut wires? In case they've been cut off, unbeknownst to me...
    I've never seen an SLS with RSS.
    If the wires were cut on an RSS system, you get a message & codes.
    Are your struts/shocks even bad?
    If not, I suggest just driving your car.

Quote Originally Posted by rydamee
    Moistcabbage, I'm not bothered at all. I was just looking for a concise reply, like Chris(rippy) gave. Notice I didn't demean him or anyone else for not reading that my car has the FE1 soft ride? Because that would create gibberish remarks. Thanks for your input nonetheless... Lol smdh....
    I don't see what you not being rude to Chris' answer has to do with me answering your original question, or posting Gibberish.

You asked if there was a quality difference between OEM and after market parts, and more specifically, suspension components and wheel bearings, and that's the question I answered.. FWIW, members here range from technicians to people that don't know the difference between a radiator and an alternator (no offense intended). I try, and think succeed at wording my posts in a coherent and simple manner. If you can't deduce an answer out of either the specific and non specific info that I posted, then I guess I can't help you. The info is there for future readers of the thread.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Aztec ETC ECS
    I've never seen an SLS with RSS.
    If the wires were cut on an RSS system, you get a message & codes.
    Are your struts/shocks even bad?
    If not, I suggest just driving your car.
    A fair amount of certain model year SLSs had CVRSS (F45). I'm not sure if it was not offered after a certain year or not, but it seems at least very rare on '01+ cars.

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    A fair amount of certain model year SLSs had CVRSS (F45). I'm not sure if it was not offered after a certain year or not, but it seems at least very rare on '01+ cars.
    That's why I said and always say "I've never seen". It's possible.
    But it would get a message if the wires were cut.

I wasn't disputing anything, just adding info .

rydamee is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS 3.6DI/2001 Cadillac Seville SLS

Moistcabbage you incriminate yourself. I digress, just the typical attitude of the majority of internet cats that feel they can speak to grown folk any way they please, just cuz they're in front of a screen. I'm cool with that. It is what it is. Sign of the times. I do understand that one is guilty until proven innocent, or, one is not mechanically inclined unless he says he is. I am.

Aztec, yes the car rides fine, but not like a Caddy. Feels like the CTS, harsh. Granted the CTS has a sport suspension & foose rims. The guy I bought the SLS from drove it like it was stolen, & had heavy 22" rims on it for the last 15k miles. I think it's safe to say the engineers didn't mean for the car to deal with that type of stress. At 105k miles currently, the suspension needs an overhaul...

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

Wow, this post really exploded.

This is one of those cases that if you really want to start replacing suspension parts price out the dealer stuff, then see what the aftermarket stuff sells for. Some of the parts are specialized and the dealer is your only source, but some stuff is out there aftermarket that works just the same way and is just a good of a part for a better price. You don't always have to go OEM to get good parts.

Quote Originally Posted by rydamee View Post
    Aztec, yes the car rides fine, but not like a Caddy. Feels like the CTS, harsh. Granted the CTS has a sport suspension & foose rims. The guy I bought the SLS from drove it like it was stolen, & had heavy 22" rims on it for the last 15k miles. I think it's safe to say the engineers didn't mean for the car to deal with that type of stress. At 105k miles currently, the suspension needs an overhaul...
    I've put aftermarket struts in one of my STS's and it rode just fine.
    Maybe the extra money I had leftover in my pockets helped cushion the ride a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by rydamee
    Moistcabbage you incriminate yourself. I digress, just the typical attitude of the majority of internet cats that feel they can speak to grown folk any way they please, just cuz they're in front of a screen. I'm cool with that. It is what it is. Sign of the times. I do understand that one is guilty until proven innocent, or, one is not mechanically inclined unless he says he is. I am.
    Whatever makes you feel better.

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I think there is just some misinterpretation here. Things in type don't always come across as we hear them in our heads or as intended and people do not always read them the way we intended. From what I've seen in this thread, this is much ado about nothing.

FWIW, I've never seen MC be rude or condescending to anyone. Time for a group hug.

ben.gators is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance, 99 Seville STS--Gone!

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    forget the 6bk/7bk RPO codes
    they are tuned suspension codes that don't really mean a whole lot once the car is built
    look for FE1 or FE3
    if you have FE3 then you should also have F45 (F45 is the CVRSS RPO code)
    I even have heard that there are some SLSs with CVRSS (F45) struts and shocks, but with FE1 spring package! I am not sure, but read it in this forum! I think the main keywords are F45 or F55, which directly indicate the presence of CVRSS or magnaride suspension systems respectively and OP should look for F45 code.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger
    FWIW, I've never seen MC be rude or condescending to anyone. Time for a group hug.
    Oh fine...
    Bobanna likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.